For the life of me I cannot get Google Maps to get a GPS lock on me. It can use the cell towers to get a guess at where I am, but I want GPS.

Every other app is able to use the GPS though. I just would really like to be able to use Google Maps because I find it so much better.

Help?
    01-15-10 03:53 PM
    01-15-10 04:19 PM
    I find this working quite well. I have found that I typically must activate the "location on" from apps - advanced - gps. Then launch google maps...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-15-10 04:33 PM
    I find this working quite well. I have found that I typically must activate the "location on" from apps - advanced - gps. Then launch google maps...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    It already is activated though.

And my carrier is Alltel. And other third party GPS applications are able to use GPS.
    01-15-10 05:26 PM
    Apparently, there have been issues with Alltel and GPS. http://forums.crackberry.com/f72/alltel-gps-58556/
    01-15-10 05:32 PM
    Try updating the OS and refreshing the satellites under advanced options>GPS
    01-15-10 05:33 PM
    some carriers do not support (or disable) GPS functionality at the cell towers. my former carrier does this, so check with your carrier first to see if they actually support GPS services.

However, saying that:
    1) on the rare occasion, bbmaps would work, but far more often it couldn't get any sats
    2) google maps would only use cell towers to triangulate on my pearl (not true GPS, just a guess like OP's), but on my friends HTC Touch Diamond using the same carrier I was on google maps worked great!
    01-15-10 05:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD