First off, long time reader and first time poster. I just recently became addicted and cannot put my berry down. I am at this time using the 8330 (curve) on the Verizon Network.

Ok, on to my question. I downloaded and installed the google maps app and it seems to be working ok except for one thing, I can't get it to triangulate my location. I really don't see me using the nav feature that much, so the triangulation nonsense is close enough for me, plus its free. I have searched out a bunch of things here on the forums, and nothing has really helped. I did go into the options and turn on the gps from 911 only, but nothing still comes up. I don't even have an option for "find me" or "my location" or whatever it says in my menus. I guess my next thing to try would be to uninstall it all and start from scratch, but wanted to check what you other addicts had to say first.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Never mind...I got everything figured out.
    Last edited by mikedaub; 09-05-08 at 12:10 PM.
    09-05-08 11:35 AM
    While in the app press on the menu key and choose "My Location". Hope that works for you.
    09-08-08 11:55 AM
    Isnt the locator locked out on verizon?
    09-12-08 04:16 PM
    First off, long time reader and first time poster. I just recently became addicted and cannot put my berry down. I am at this time using the 8330 (curve) on the Verizon Network.

Ok, on to my question. I downloaded and installed the google maps app and it seems to be working ok except for one thing, I can't get it to triangulate my location. I really don't see me using the nav feature that much, so the triangulation nonsense is close enough for me, plus its free. I have searched out a bunch of things here on the forums, and nothing has really helped. I did go into the options and turn on the gps from 911 only, but nothing still comes up. I don't even have an option for "find me" or "my location" or whatever it says in my menus. I guess my next thing to try would be to uninstall it all and start from scratch, but wanted to check what you other addicts had to say first.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Never mind...I got everything figured out.
    Can you tell me what worked, I'm having the same trouble.

Thanks,
    Laurie
    09-13-08 01:09 PM
    Your Alltel 8130 has a functioning internal GPS, so you won't have to use the Cell Tower location feature.

Options / Advanced Options / GPS
    GPS Data Source: Device GPS
    GPS Services: Location On

Google Maps should locate your position to within 3-m.
    09-14-08 01:28 PM
    I had originally downloaded google maps on my Verizon Curve as well. I became very irritated with the whole "within 3 miles" thing. It chose my location as almost 3 blocks away.

I'm curious to know how you "fixed" it myself.
    09-14-08 01:31 PM
    and if i can just ask a semi-related question...my friend is using win-mo (yeah, i failed in getting him to the dark side) and he has google maps downloaded but it keeps telling him that the "my location feature isn't available". even if he doesn't have gps, shouldn't he still be able to use cell towers to triangulate?

if anyone has done this and can help, we'd appreciate it.

i should note that it works perfectly on my bb
    09-14-08 01:34 PM
    With a Verizon 8330, you don't have a functioning internal GPS. To get better than about 1700-m accuracy, you'll need to buy an external GPS puck. Several models are available from the crackberry store. I have the Freedom Keychain 2000.

EDIT: sorry, I was answering TheSultan and our posts overlapped. I don't have a winmo device to test it on, but it's entirely possible that Google just doesn't support that feature in the version of the software.
    Last edited by JeffH; 09-14-08 at 01:36 PM. Reason: post overlap
    09-14-08 01:34 PM
    Your Alltel 8130 has a functioning internal GPS, so you won't have to use the Cell Tower location feature.

Options / Advanced Options / GPS
    GPS Data Source: Device GPS
    GPS Services: Location On

Google Maps should locate your position to within 3-m.
    Thanks for your help and I did go back and change GPS settings however it still cannot find my location.

Any other advice??

Thanks!!!
    Laurie
    09-14-08 03:51 PM
    Thanks for your help and I did go back and change GPS settings however it still cannot find my location.

Any other advice??

Thanks!!!
    Laurie
    Yes. I recalled seeing something about Alltel and GPS and found this post by searching the forum: http://forums.crackberry.com/f72/alltel-gps-58556/

It seems you have to install Alltel's nav program and run it once to enable the GPS, then cancel your subscription. The details are in the post. If the work-around works, then it won't cost you anything as long as you cancel your subscription.

Let us know if this solves it for you.
    09-14-08 04:20 PM
    will u tell me how u figured it out? i'm using bb tour 9630 from verizon... in google map it can lock on GPS signal, but cant triangulate the radio signal especially when using GSM..so when indoor, gmaps cant be locked neither in GPS signal nor radio signal triangulation.. help me please
    01-19-10 10:52 PM
    I'm not quite sure what you are asking. Here are two posts. In one, the user had no problem using the GPS. In the other, he did. In the 8830 the GPS did not work when you were using the GSM radio. From these posts it appears that it may work in the 9630, but I can't be sure. Hopefully someone using the Tour on GSM with your carrier will provide a definitive answer.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f141/tour-europe-350898/
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f141/tour-japan-323583/
    01-20-10 06:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD