I could be not even close but i got to thinking that if google maps had a different reason to use the gps for the storm such as latitude which just came out maybe they can justify trying to use verizon gps since its not for directions purposes which is what verizon trys to block it for. Just a theory dont bash me but it kinda would make a little bit of since to me cause you cant use latitude right if gps doesnt work. otherwise whyu even make the program compatible with the storm at all. Do i make any sense or am i just making stuff up? haha
    02-07-09 12:31 PM
    Way off base. GMM calls the wrong GPS data. Simple as that.
    02-07-09 12:47 PM
    From my testing it looks like GMM calls aGPS first and if it doesn't find it then it proceeds to use the GPS. Easiest way to test this is to turn off your phones radio and access it. It will locate you within 4-6m but you will not be able to use it due to the fact that with the radio off you cannot get updated maps. Google needs to change the code to allow for the disabling of the aGPS. Once that is done it will function normally.
    02-07-09 02:01 PM
    You wouldn't think that is difficult code to write. I didn't turn the radio off, but i switched it over the GSM which of course I don't have and it lock in down to 3 meters.

I guess we keep on waiting....didn't I read that one of the Google Maps honchos had a Storm??

b.b.
    02-07-09 03:19 PM
    We are stuck waiting until the two companies sort something out.

The Storm's JDK includes instructions on how to access GPS and a demo app anyone can compile to test it out. Google says Verizon is the cause, which is only a half truth (Google can't use assisted GPS with Verizon).

It's irritating but it is what it is for now.
    02-07-09 04:22 PM
    i cant believe this wasnt fixed in the new gmm 3.0.1 update. The fact that it wasnt included in this update is gonna turn this gps problem into copy/paste for iphone. its coming.........
    02-07-09 04:22 PM
    I don't even understand the OP.
    02-07-09 05:21 PM
    I've heard there's a couple issues between Verizon and Google for various things, so it's probably more of a political/legal problem than a technical one.

From what I've heard, Verizon doesn't want Google archiving GPS history so they've blocked Google Maps. They're waiting until Google assures them they won't keep it, but it's not like that will happen anytime soon. After all, why WOULDN'T Google want to keep this information? They're an advertising company. This would also kind of support what Thom said about the application being blocked.

Of course, that is hearsay and I can't even find where I heard it. However, companies having spats with each other (especially dealing with Google and privacy issues) are certainly not uncommon. And it makes FAR more sense than saying Google doesn't know how to read up on a JDK. Give me a break!
    02-07-09 05:59 PM
    I don't even understand the OP.
    Ya, that was a very difficult read.

It appears to be a "Verizon/Google" management issue, not a software one. As others have posted, if you switch the phone to GSM mode, the GMaps app works fine.
    02-07-09 06:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD