I recently had to exchange my old att curve for a new one bc the old one wasn't working. On the old curve the google maps gps system was great it was dead on accurate when I did "my location"

On the new curve I dl'd and installed google maps but now when I try to gps my location its ALWAYS wrong... Off by a few streets etc.. What's the point of gps if its not accurate, right?

So what can I do? I don't know how to uninstall google maps so that I can then reinstall it... Or do u think its a prob with the phone and not the prgram??

Pls help!!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-18-08 06:42 AM
    Google Maps is probably calculating you position through triangulation using your location in relation to GSM phone masts, and not GPS. This is why your indicated location is not very precise.

Go to Options > Advanced > GPS > then hit the menu key and select "Refresh GPS"
    04-18-08 07:22 AM
    I know for most gps systems to be accurate you need to be moving. When you are standing still it takes longer and is harder to get a precise location. You also might want to update your software. ATT loads .170 on there phones from the store.
    04-18-08 08:15 AM
    Are you outside with a clear view of sky when your trying to locate yourself? you may have a weak GPS signal or your provider may be blocking your GPS
    04-18-08 09:20 PM
    The exact position with google maps is 1700 meters.
    04-19-08 06:10 AM
    Try BB maps. It's better.
    04-19-08 06:11 AM
    Google Maps will give you 3 meter accuracy when getting its information from the GPS constellation. 1700 meters is the accuracy you get using tower triangulation.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-19-08 06:16 AM
    On the old curve the google maps gps system was great it was dead on accurate when I did "my location"

On the new curve I dl'd and installed google maps but now when I try to gps my location its ALWAYS wrong... Off by a few streets etc.. What's the point of gps if its not accurate, right?

Pls help!!

it seems that you recently installed Gmaps (again - new cell) .. you prob. got the 2.0.3 version .. i had that problem before (it's not the phone - assuming that the GPS in there works - did you check if you can acquire satellites? does BBmaps work?) .. Fisrt - install Gmaps 2.0.1 and see if it works ..

i am sure i have seen a link to a zip file for this one i just can't remember where now ..
    w w w .google.com/gmm/apps/v2.0.1/L1/BlackBerry-42/GoogleMaps.jad?make=BlackBerry&model=42&ver=v2.0.1
    Last edited by APcell; 04-28-08 at 08:33 PM.
    04-28-08 08:23 PM
    Got it .. Gmaps 2.0.1 zip file - install from Desktop Mgr. (thanks CBR) ...

click me
    04-28-08 09:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD