Coming from the iphone, google maps was pretty good for navigation in the car. The dot moved very smoothly. On the 8900, the maps are slow to load when driving on the highway and the dot jumps instead of moving slowly. Are others experiencing this? I'm in a strong signal area so I have full edge.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-12-09 11:57 AM
    what phone do you have?
    02-12-09 12:04 PM
    Gmaps has been like this on every BB I've ever used. It's not completely smooth, the update rate is every few seconds. I think I read that it's because the GPS chip only updates location that often, but I'm not 100% sure.

But it's NOT smooth like a standalone GPS Nav unit. Sorry dude.

But hey, now you have a keyboard and you can multitask and cut/paste! haha...
    02-12-09 12:28 PM
    Which device are you using?
    02-12-09 12:29 PM
    8900, I mentioned it in the original message.
    02-12-09 01:01 PM
    I wish that you could locally cache some of the Google Maps to make it smoother or have it be helpful in the event of no data coverage.
    02-12-09 01:04 PM
    Oh whoops didn't notice. I think it's how the 8900 is polling the GPS as to why it's sluggish. The other day though when I was on the train it was moving with me pretty smooth. Isn't GPS affected by clouds sometimes or something?
    02-12-09 01:12 PM
    Have you tried the BB maps that the phone came with? I have been trying both of them and BB maps seems to work a little better.(Still a newbie though to BBs)
    02-12-09 01:13 PM
    Man, my 8900 never came with BB maps. >< I checked in every folder, but I found nothing. I downloaded Google Maps, but I still wish I could have seen what BB maps looked like.

Oh well...
    02-12-09 01:25 PM
    Same here. I'm using the phone on att. I see bb maps on my application list but it is nowhere to be found. Someone mentioned that if you are on Att, they don't supply the service books, but I don't believe this as people have gotten bb maps on the bold with att.

02-12-09 01:51 PM
    Are you positive? I have read other people didn't get it either? Mine just has a compass icon that says "Maps" above it.
    02-12-09 01:52 PM
    wen i got my 8900 it showed bbmaps but it was no where to be found but then i put in my tmobile simcard and restarted the phone and it showed up in the apps folder. hope that somehow helps.
    02-12-09 03:18 PM
    I believe for it to function fully, it needs a service book. That is why when you put the SIM card it then showed up. For those who do not have it, insert your SIM card and then check. If it is not there then re-send your service books.
    02-12-09 04:16 PM
    I believe for it to function fully, it needs a service book. That is why when you put the SIM card it then showed up. For those who do not have it, insert your SIM card and then check. If it is not there then re-send your service books.
    Aristile,

Since you are on ATT, do you have BB maps working? I see it in my application list but can see it. I'm going to try and send my service books again.

Thanks,

Josh
    02-12-09 04:29 PM
    Well (and I'm going to update my information right after I post this) I am with Centennial and not AT&T yet because the buyout is still pending. I do use AT&T towers when I roam, however. I may be switching to T-mobile very soon. Anyway, on my Centennial network BB Maps works.
    02-12-09 04:44 PM
    Coming from the iphone, google maps was pretty good for navigation in the car. The dot moved very smoothly. On the 8900, the maps are slow to load when driving on the highway and the dot jumps instead of moving slowly. Are others experiencing this? I'm in a strong signal area so I have full edge.

I could be wrong (so someone correct me if I am), but isn't it simply that the 8900 is an EDGE device? Did you have the original iPhone or iPhone 3G?

My old phone was a CDMA HTC Touch with EV-DO Rev A. Google Maps ran smoother on it than it does on my 8900. It's not terrible, but I find that driving at highway speeds, it doesn't refresh quickly enough to show what's ahead sometimes. You can get around this somewhat by zooming out a little.
    02-12-09 06:44 PM
    Check out AmAze. Its free like google. It runs a little smoother than google and you get audio directions.
    02-13-09 07:46 AM
    You should be looking at the road and the cars around you, and NOT your BB... just kidding, but please drive safe if you are looking at GoogleMaps while driving, PLEASE!!!

I did try that last weekend while driving some back roads to be sure I had not missed my turn (and very, very light traffic)... yes, I did notice the small jerks and recentering of the maps, but I did not think it was very bad... I'm sure the iPhone is much faster since it's using 3G and they probably have a continuous GPS signal going on, which probably drains the battery very quickly, but all of that will make that experience on the iPhone much better than the 8900.

Personally, I don't think it's a probably I can't live with.
    02-13-09 07:59 AM
    I've tried many of the gps software apps and they seem to be much smoother. Garmin and Wayfinder were extremely smooth when navigating or just watching your position on the map. I assume this is due to the fact that they are compensating for these jumps on the server side. I'm leaning towards garmin or wayfinder (can dowload maps to sd card using maploader) but may hold out for a true offline option.
    02-13-09 09:14 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD