Can somebody tell me how google maps works,
    do i get charged from my carrier for using it like gps
    or is it all on the sd card.
    I hope this isn't a dumb question
    thansk
    08-04-08 07:32 PM
    Google Maps uses data. And a lot of it. So unless you have a nice big data plan for your berry, you might not want to use this.
    08-04-08 07:38 PM
    thanks
    i don't have a data plan at all
    08-04-08 07:54 PM
    i've asked these same question when i first got my berry and didn't have a data plan too. what i've found is that there isn't any gps/mapping app that doesn't use data for the blackberry. i am not sure why but that's the way it is. i personally prefer an app that stores the map on an sd card or something and doesn't need data, like how tom tom works on windows mobile or symbian phones. unfortunately no such exists for blackberry, or not that i've seen.

i now have a data plan and will admit that google maps does use quite a bit of data. nav4all is pretty good too, is free and seems to use less data. blackberry maps which comes with the device is okay but i like google maps the most.
    08-04-08 08:01 PM
    There are presently two apps that let you download the maps in advance and store them on the microSD card: TrekBuddy and Mobile GMaps (not to be confused with Google Maps). You can find user reports on both in the GPS & Mapping forum. I've not used either.
    08-04-08 09:10 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD