errr what now?
    Accepting terms and conditions is not agreeing to them?
    hmm it appears my dictionary is out of date. Where did you get yours from?
    Lol
    09-27-16 12:35 PM
    It's defiitly not just Google.

I walked into a VZW store with my daughter on Sunday - with my trust Z10 and PRIV on my hip. The MINUTE I crossed over the threshold into the store, my PRIV chirped. I looked at it to see a "Welcome to Verizon Store" message with the address of the store and a "Please confirm your phone number to be placed in line so you don't have to wait" - this was on my WORK phone (PRIV) not the Z10. Of course I had my Location on, but did not have any VZW apps running (in fact they are all disabled) - now that was scary..
    09-27-16 12:35 PM
    It's defiitly not just Google.

I walked into a VZW store with my daughter on Sunday - with my trust Z10 and PRIV on my hip. The MINUTE I crossed over the threshold into the store, my PRIV chirped. I looked at it to see a "Welcome to Verizon Store" message with the address of the store and a "Please confirm your phone number to be placed in line so you don't have to wait" - this was on my WORK phone (PRIV) not the Z10. Of course I had my Location on, but did not have any VZW apps running (in fact they are all disabled) - now that was scary..
    isnt there some sort of Bluetooth project that is meant to do this?

Probably not the case here, but I remember reading how Bluetooth transmitters are laid into buildings and when you walk into them you get notified on your phone about different services that building offers
    09-27-16 12:41 PM
    isnt there some sort of Bluetooth project that is meant to do this?

Probably not the case here, but I remember reading how Bluetooth transmitters are laid into buildings and when you walk into them you get notified on your phone about different services that building offers
    Yes, but I think that would be a BT "hotspot" that would notify you and ask you if you want to connect - like when I transfer a file (music) over BT - I have to accept the incoming file and connection on the PRIV. None of these happened.
    09-27-16 12:48 PM
    Yes, but I think that would be a BT "hotspot" that would notify you and ask you if you want to connect - like when I transfer a file (music) over BT - I have to accept the incoming file and connection on the PRIV. None of these happened.
    ahh apparently its something that must have been enabled when you set your device up.
    Its baked into verizon devices
    09-27-16 12:55 PM
    ahh apparently its something that must have been enabled when you set your device up.
    Its baked into verizon devices
    Oh and that make me feel SO much better
    Wezard likes this.
    09-27-16 12:58 PM
    Oh and that make me feel SO much better
    haha well if it helps, even if you hadnt have enabled it, you'd get a pop up asking for it to be enabled everytime you went to a store! no way of disabling it permanently without root access.

But it's a Verizon issue rather than an Android one :P

Just a reminder that there's more than one big evil corporation out there :P
    zephyr613 likes this.
    09-27-16 01:01 PM
    Wow, that's scary! Now they know whenever you step into one of their stores wanting service and placing you automatically into the queue! What if you didn't want service and just popped into the store to cool off because it was hot outside?!
    09-27-16 01:55 PM
    So, I think I found a way out of the VZW thing. I went to "My Verizon app",(which was disabled BTW, so I re-enabled it just for this purpose) hit the hamburger in upper left hand corner and selected In Store Experience". The toggle switch was set to "Accepted". I changed it to "rejected" and came all the way out of the app.

Went back in to verify that the change stuck and it did. Now just have to walk into a VZW store and see if I get dinged again.
    09-27-16 02:44 PM
    errr what now?
    Accepting terms and conditions is not agreeing to them?
    hmm it appears my dictionary is out of date. Where did you get yours from?
    I accept that Google might "farm" my data because I need to use their services*, but I don't agree with the practice. Understand? Since you have your own dictionary, I won't bother with quotes.

* - not actually true
    09-27-16 03:16 PM
    I accept that Google might "farm" my data because I need to use their services*, but I don't agree with the practice. Understand? Since you have your own dictionary, I won't bother with quotes.

* - not actually true
    You've agreed to those terms and conditions still, even if you do not agree with the practise
    09-27-16 03:32 PM
    Another reason not to buy an android phone, black berry or not. Z30 all the way

Posted via CB10
    09-27-16 03:38 PM
    You can use Start Page for search, and ProtonMail for mailing, on your Android device, and Google is out of the picture, many other options available.

Posted via CB10
    sebstarr likes this.
    09-27-16 03:53 PM
    All in the name of serving you "relevant" ads. The price we pay for technology I guess. I don't use an Android phone though.
    09-27-16 05:11 PM
    I opted out yesterday...scroll to bottom.
    AOL Privacy
    09-27-16 05:46 PM
    All in the name of serving you "relevant" ads. The price we pay for technology I guess. I don't use an Android phone though.
    It's carrier specific, not phone.
    09-27-16 05:47 PM
    Doesn't seem to be working so good in this case.. and yes, I have a Priv. :-)
    Attached Thumbnails Google is listening to your conversations-google.png  
    09-27-16 05:51 PM
    I'm sure there's part of the customer base that /wants/ relevant ads.

I'm sure there's part of the customer base that wants routing around high traffic areas, which requires knowing where they're at and where other customers are at, and how fast they're moving...

I'm sure there's part of the customer base that wants the convenience of Google Now, which requires remembering transport bought, event tickets bought, etc. Sure, this service could be made private to you and you alone, by Google collecting the data on your behalf, but you insist on the service being free, so it needs to be paid for somehow...
    Penguwin likes this.
    09-27-16 07:08 PM
    I don't use OK Google and i ust checked my account and they have no recording's of me (at least that i can see) but if you are surprised by this, it's not saying much about you.

NOTHING IS FREE! It may not cost you a penny to use Google but it certainly isn't free. People need to realize this fact. Have you even read the terms and conditions and just blindly said YES or AGREE to everything? I would highly advise against that.

People have this misconception that Google is stealing their info. They are NOT. You agreed to everything they do when you sign up. There are certain ways you can limit it and i would suggest you look into it.
    100x this. People call all the BS on apple on this forum, they think that google is some kind of charity company that's giving a phone OS for free without anything in return.
    09-27-16 07:21 PM
    I'm sure there's part of the customer base that /wants/ relevant ads.
    Many people like to pretend that the alternative to relevant ads is NO ads - but that's not the case. The alternative to relevant ads is: a much higher volume of irrelevant ads, so that hopefully a few of the random ones ARE relevant. By showing you ads that are relevant to your shopping and buying habits, they can get away with showing you FEWER ads - because the ads you DO see are much more likely to generate revenue.

If we all turned off data tracking, we'd just end up seeing a ton more ads - and they'd be unskippable ads and would require that ad-blockers be disabled - in front of all the content we consumed.

There's no free lunch.
    cbvinh and JeepBB like this.
    09-27-16 07:24 PM
    Google's Android services are way more useful then BlackBerry's Android services.

Posted via Nexus 6p
    09-27-16 07:47 PM
    Unfortunately that's is the price you pay for technology in today's high tech world. For myself, life is way to short to worry about Google.
    I find this way of thinking to be quite scary...
    Would you leave your home or car unlocked?
    09-27-16 10:14 PM
    If you're using an Android based phone... Google is listening in to your conversations.

How to Find Out If Google Has Been Listening to You

I'm sure that Google will find a work around to anything one does to try and defeat them.
    I'm shocked. Shocked I say!!
    zephyr613 and Velocitymj like this.
    09-27-16 11:07 PM
    I lock my house and car and to me technology has allowed companies like Google to mine data and so on. Here is the question you must ask yourself, has it really directly affected you? For myself the answer is no.

What's scary to me is how folks have embraced this pay with your phone stuff!!! You want to talk about a potential fraud and major hack waiting to happen!!!!

I use the old fashioned method of paying with cash and I only use my debut card for gas if I can pay inside because of the skimmers they are using on the outside pumps.

Scary!! I say those situations are more likely to happen then Google directly affecting your way of life.
    09-28-16 04:41 AM
    I would vote for this as Crackberry 's most ridiculous analogy of 2016, but the guy who likened Pokemon Go to child slavery has you beat.

Blackberry Poptart SE - Cricket Wireless
    yyz321, eshropshire and grover5 like this.
    09-28-16 05:17 AM
119 1234 ...