I just started using Google Voice and I noticed that they have all of my phone contacts attached to my account. Whenever I am awarded the option of sharing contacts, I always decline the gift.

Can anyone tell me how my contacts list ended up on Google's server?
    10-18-11 04:00 PM
    You agreed to the terms of service.
    10-18-11 04:02 PM
    I just started using Google Voice and I noticed that they have all of my phone contacts attached to my account. Whenever I am awarded the option of sharing contacts, I always decline the gift.

Can anyone tell me how my contacts list ended up on Google's server?
    Are you serious?
    10-18-11 04:11 PM
    Google is watching you. And your friends.
    10-18-11 04:12 PM
    Google = Info harvesting. How dont people know that yet?
    10-18-11 05:07 PM
    Not sure. Their TOS are clear and readily available. Even annoying so. If you don't want ads targeted at you, by Google using keywords, don't agree to the TOS. Personally, I like specific ads!
    10-18-11 05:11 PM
    I'm not aware that I gave Google authorization to take all of the contacts from my BlackBerry and add it to my Gmail account. I know that whenever I install something I am very careful not to authorize such access.

If anyone can tell me what apps Google has that acquire such information, I would appreciate it.
    10-18-11 05:13 PM
    You agreed to the terms of service.
    Google's TOS and my BlackBerry info should not be involuntarily linked. I thought the whole premise to BlackBerry was that my data is secure.
    10-18-11 05:16 PM
    You clicked YES somewhere. Even Google Apps on a BlackBerry have the pop up asking if you accept.
    10-18-11 05:17 PM
    Blackberry's are only as secure as the settings enabled by the user.
    howarmat, Chrisy, avt123 and 1 others like this.
    10-18-11 05:17 PM
    You clicked YES somewhere. Even Google Apps on a BlackBerry have the pop up asking if you accept.
    It's possible, but I've been quite anal about this stuff. I don't like sharing my contacts with anyone. I have only installed the Gmail app and the Google Maps app.
    10-18-11 05:25 PM
    Gmail gets pushed to my device. I don't have maps. Where do I check to see whether or not google has assimilated my contacts?
    10-18-11 06:15 PM
    Gmail gets pushed to my device. I don't have maps. Where do I check to see whether or not google has assimilated my contacts?
    Did you read and accept the TOS when you got your gmail/Google account? You can find them under account settings.
    10-18-11 06:23 PM
    It was years ago. I don't remember. I just want to know where to look (in gmail or on my BlackBerry) to see if google has my contact list.
    10-18-11 07:26 PM
    Open gmail on a computer and there's a Contacts tab. It may be hidden by I think it shows by default. It's where the Labels are.
    10-18-11 07:33 PM
    Thanks. I've done that, and they aren't there. I just wanted to make sure they're not somewhere else.
    10-18-11 07:34 PM
    Google's Dashboard lets you view and manage the data associated with your Google account and Google apps. Login and go to: https://www.google.com/dashboard/. I too was surprised at what they were collecting and what I had agreed to.
    10-18-11 09:45 PM
    When you set up a gmail account on a blackberry on BIS, is there not a setting under the synchronization options label called "Contacts"?
    Would that be the one?
    Aren't all google contacts linked between all the google apps? Meaning that voice has the same contacts as gmail? or each one is independent?
    10-18-11 09:49 PM
    If you're running Google Maps then they're also constantly tracking your location. That's how Google Maps Traffic View works. They know, roughly, where you are and at what speed you moving by comparing the time between points on the map when they poll your location. Assuming you're on a road or highway, they plot your speed against the average speed for city roads (50 kmph/30 mph) or highways (100 kmph/55 mph).
    10-18-11 11:15 PM
    When you set up a gmail account on a blackberry on BIS, is there not a setting under the synchronization options label called "Contacts"?
    There is such a check-the-box option in BIS settings, and I've always made sure it's unchecked, not just for google, but for the other accounts that BIS is pushing to my BlackBerry. A few of them have a calendar option, too, and I make sure that I'm not opted in for that either.
    10-19-11 06:34 AM
    Google's Dashboard lets you view and manage the data associated with your Google account and Google apps. Login and go to: https://www.google.com/dashboard/. I too was surprised at what they were collecting and what I had agreed to.
    This is very cool, and I didn't know about it. Thanks! I use quote a few Google products and services. My dashboard looks good to me, and I recognized all the permissions I authorized. Nothing surprising or invasive.

I like that you can view/edit all this data from one area. Good job, Google!
    10-19-11 06:37 AM
    There is such a check-the-box option in BIS settings, and I've always made sure it's unchecked, not just for google, but for the other accounts that BIS is pushing to my BlackBerry. A few of them have a calendar option, too, and I make sure that I'm not opted in for that either.
    If you are concerned with Google collecting and/or using your data you can actually delete your Google account and gmail. I think you have to do it separately though. It will break all links too if you have linked any account with your Google account.

There's a place in Google account settings to do this.
    10-19-11 06:39 AM
    I'm not aware that I gave Google authorization to take all of the contacts from my BlackBerry and add it to my Gmail account. I know that whenever I install something I am very careful not to authorize such access.

If anyone can tell me what apps Google has that acquire such information, I would appreciate it.
    Stop using Google Voice, log into your Google account via web browser and go to gmail and delete all the contacts in there, done.
    10-19-11 06:49 AM
    @chrisy520

No, I've used gmail since before I even had a smartphone. I just don't want any of it (google, etc.) to employ any of those shady opt out or your opted in antics as I understand facebook pulls all the time. Other than that, it's cool.
    Last edited by T�nis; 10-19-11 at 06:52 AM.
    10-19-11 06:50 AM
    For the OP, and future reference:

The Google Privacy Policy
    10-19-11 06:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD