I have had the google gps on my bb for a few weeks and it looks to b more of a novelty than a tool .

I had search my location at home & it put me about 300 meters in d middle of the lake. I tried to locate where I was d other day and it was off by a large amount.

The above was in d state of FL. The last few days I have been in downtown chicago and could have really used the gps. No such luck. It's putting my location blocks away.

Is this typical? Anything better out there?I tried an inexpensive gps at d garmin store and d garmin was spot on.

Thoughts?
    Edit - just checked, it puts me "within 600 meters". That's like a mile radius lol.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by alexplantman; 04-20-09 at 04:12 AM.
    04-20-09 04:08 AM
    I don't use google I use yahoo and I use it. It places me within 5 meters and if I stop it will place me within 2. Google should do the same the gps is for real in all the bb I own.
    04-20-09 05:47 AM
    my GPS on my Storm is like that at first. Meaning when i first turn it on/enable it, the GPS will find me within 600 meters. If i keep hitting Refresh, over the course of two minutes, it will get closer and closer to me, til it i within 3 meters.

So my suggestion is to turn it on and wait a few min, then see how accurate it is. It needs to "warm up" so the satellite can find it.

When it says "Within 600 meters" it is judging you by the nearest cell tower nd how strong your signal is to it. Once it locks onto you, you should see the distance to you lessen and lessen til it is right on top of you.

Also helps if you are outside, the GPS can be wonky in buildings, but functions fine for me outside.
    04-20-09 05:56 AM
    Make sure you have the latest version.
    04-20-09 06:45 AM
    If you are seeing a large circle around your location then gmaps is using cell tower triangulation NOT gps to determine your location. Mine does that all the time. I've had better luck with bb maps but my gps is not really reliable.

04-20-09 06:48 AM
    Well since posting my question, I confirmed I did have the latest version installed, but went ahead and deleted it & reinstalled. When I step outside later I'll give some time to find d satellites and report back.

I am so tempted to pay d $ for telnav, lol, but in a matter of time u would have a lot $$ in mthly fees.

04-20-09 11:42 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD