Not really sure where this thread would be best suited, but I would like some feedback from those of you that have used both Google Docs and Drop Box. I have not used Drop Box myself and would like to know if there are similarities or what you consider to be plusses of both. I am using Google Docs now so I guess I could actually do this myslf, but maybe the next user would like to save themselves some time. And I am just lazy, I admit it...

Thanks in advance.

BTW. I like being able to link directly to the Google Docs "Share" to another user without them having to know my password and such. A real big plus in my opinion.

Similar threads that popped for me.
    google docs vs docs to go
    Drop Box Working with Torch
    sheet to go drop down box
    Google Docs and other Google Mobile Applications
    - and -
    How to open a drop down box
    07-20-11 02:28 PM
    Not really sure where this thread would be best suited, but I would like some feedback from those of you that have used both Google Docs and Drop Box. I have not used Drop Box myself and would like to know if there are similarities or what you consider to be plusses of both. I am using Google Docs now so I guess I could actually do this myslf, but maybe the next user would like to save themselves some time. And I am just lazy, I admit it...

Thanks in advance.

BTW. I like being able to link directly to the Google Docs "Share" to another user without them having to know my password and such. A real big plus in my opinion.

Similar threads that popped for me.
    google docs vs docs to go
    Drop Box Working with Torch
    sheet to go drop down box
    Google Docs and other Google Mobile Applications
    - and -
    How to open a drop down box
    Big difference between Google Docs and Dropbox: Dropbox is cloud storage. You can't upload a movie or pictures to Google Docs, it's just online document editing. You can edit a document that you've uploaded to Dropbox though, and changes will show on any machine that you have Dropbox installed on, or log in via browser. Should you wish to share a document with someone, there's an option to share with a link in the right-click menu; or you can make a folder in your Dropbox, share it with someone, and anything you put in there will automatically be shared with anyone you've added to that folder.

MobileMadness002 likes this.
    07-20-11 03:02 PM
    Well, I have to see this for myself. Tomorrows project. Thank you.
    07-20-11 03:08 PM
    So much for tomorrow. Thats all there was to it. Ins6tall the app(s) and go. Makes me a whole new level of lazy.

Hmmm. Not able to login from the BB.
    07-20-11 03:19 PM
    So much for tomorrow. Thats all there was to it. Ins6tall the app(s) and go. Makes me a whole new level of lazy.
    Yup. Couple things to know: anything you want to put in your Dropbox folder should be copied, otherwise it moves the file in question because your computer treats the Dropbox folder like every other folder. So if you don't copy it, and whomever you share it with deletes it or moves it out of a shared folder, it's gone. Also, anyone you want to share with will also need a Dropbox account.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-20-11 03:24 PM
    I prefer SugarSync to DropBox. You can compare them here.

You can share files and folders just the way you mentioned and it also works as a colaborative environment (I used it on two projects now with very good results).

The app integrates nicely with Documents to Go which is a bonus. After you finish editing the file, it will prompt to upload the changes. Quite nice.

People you share with don't have to have a SugarSync account to see the files, but they might need one to upload into folders (I am sorry, I don't really know).

See all that space? All free, from referring users into SugarSync.
    Last edited by diegonei; 07-20-11 at 03:47 PM.
    07-20-11 03:42 PM
    I prefer SugarSync to DropBox. You can compare them here.

You can share files and folders just the way you mentioned and it also works as a colaborative environment (I used it on two projects now with very good results).

The app integrates nicely with Documents to Go which is a bonus. After you finish editing the file, it will prompt to upload the changes. Quite nice.

People you share with don't have to have a SugarSync account to see the files, but they might need one to upload into folders (I am sorry, I don't really know).

See all that space? All free, from referring users into SugarSync.
    I prefer SugarSync over Dropbox on the whole, better security and more free space at signup plus better BlackBerry app; unfortunately SugarSync doesn't work with Linux unless using a browser. SugarSync's biggest drawback IMO is it's a little more difficult to manage machines/devices than Dropbox.

Edit: one can share individual files with other people without requiring an account; it's only required for folders.

Last edited by Reubechs; 07-20-11 at 04:09 PM.
    07-20-11 04:06 PM
    I prefer SugarSync over Dropbox on the whole, better security and more free space at signup plus better BlackBerry app; unfortunately SugarSync doesn't work with Linux unless using a browser. SugarSync's biggest drawback IMO is it's a little more difficult to manage machines/devices than Dropbox.

Edit: one can share individual files with other people without requiring an account; it's only required for folders.
    Ahh the old way... Conectiva... Slackware...

How about Wine? I used to run everything on Wine (the year was 1994 )... And if it doesn't work, you could try a virtual machine? If you make the virtual machine see the directories as hard drives, wouldn't that work?
    07-20-11 10:06 PM
    Big difference between Google Docs and Dropbox: Dropbox is cloud storage. You can't upload a movie or pictures to Google Docs, it's just online document editing. [/IMG]
    You might want to revisit that one. You can upload video and images in Google docs. Using Google Chrome I simply drag and drop video or images into Google Docs.
    07-20-11 10:37 PM
    Ahh the old way... Conectiva... Slackware...

How about Wine? I used to run everything on Wine (the year was 1994 )... And if it doesn't work, you could try a virtual machine? If you make the virtual machine see the directories as hard drives, wouldn't that work?
    I haven't used wine in eons According to this very old data it doesn't work that well; I'm sure others have had some success though.

The vm solution works quite well actually that 1) you're using a machine with enough resources to run a vm; and 2) all one needs to do is make Magic Briefcase a shared folder in vbox manager. Sadly, I can't use this solution with my netbook. :P
    Last edited by Reubechs; 07-20-11 at 11:17 PM. Reason: Grammar correction.
    07-20-11 11:09 PM
    You might want to revisit that one. You can upload video and images in Google docs. Using Google Chrome I simply drag and drop video or images into Google Docs.
    I stand corrected. Apparently this is new. And, only for Chrome or Firefox.

07-20-11 11:16 PM
    I haven't used wine in eons According to this very old data it doesn't work that well; I'm sure others have had some success though.

The vm solution works quite well actually that 1) you're using a machine with enough resources to run a vm; and 2) all one needs to do is make Magic Briefcase a shared folder in vbox manager. Sadly, I can't use this solution with my netbook. :P
    I "wined" more stuff than I can remember back then hehe and everything was not supported.

Google translate this article I wrote oh so long ago (so many bas-t-ards stole this and reposted as their own it isn't even funny - written by badtux MY HAIRY Ar-Se ) and see if it helps. Also check VMPlayer. It is not very specs demanding.

And we officially derailed this thread
    07-20-11 11:42 PM
    I "wined" more stuff than I can remember back then hehe and everything was not supported.

Google translate this article I wrote oh so long ago (so many bas-t-ards stole this and reposted as their own it isn't even funny - written by badtux MY HAIRY Ar-Se ) and see if it helps. Also check VMPlayer. It is not very specs demanding.

And we officially derailed this thread
    Semi-derailed - it's relevant but not directly addressing the OP. Also I nearly forgot about Windows SkyDrive, which has a whopping 25 free gigs - I use it to move most of my large stuff. Works great for swapping full vm's with friends without the need for carting physical drives around town. A bit much for the OP's mentioned needs regarding documents, but options are always good.

07-21-11 12:35 PM
    Semi-derailed - it's relevant but not directly addressing the OP. Also I nearly forgot about Windows SkyDrive, which has a whopping 25 free gigs - I use it to move most of my large stuff. Works great for swapping full vm's with friends without the need for carting physical drives around town. A bit much for the OP's mentioned needs regarding documents, but options are always good.
    Speaking of large, I just learned of this: 4shared Sync - Free app to keep all your files at hand

Seems to work just like DropBox and it is 15GB on the free accounts.

4shared does have a BlackBerry app, so it could work.
    07-21-11 05:03 PM
    Speaking of large, I just learned of this: 4shared Sync - Free app to keep all your files at hand

Seems to work just like DropBox and it is 15GB on the free accounts.

4shared does have a BlackBerry app, so it could work.
    Not so sure about 4shared; everything I searched for the included "4shared" in the search string seems to be downloadable from 4shared users. Even found a link to download SugarSync Manager from a 4shared user.

07-21-11 05:50 PM
    Tonido looks interesting, make a personal cloud. Not sure how it'd work with sharing documents and such with other users, though.

07-21-11 05:59 PM
    Not so sure about 4shared; everything I searched for the included "4shared" in the search string seems to be downloadable from 4shared users. Even found a link to download SugarSync Manager from a 4shared user.
    I don't follow.
    07-21-11 06:39 PM
    4shared is more of a service like rapidshare, megaupload, ect. People upload files, and they can be searched for through google, and anyone can download them. Now, 4shared can still be used, but putting a password on the file would be necessary.
    07-21-11 06:45 PM
    4shared is more of a service like rapidshare, megaupload, ect. People upload files, and they can be searched for through google, and anyone can download them. Now, 4shared can still be used, but putting a password on the file would be necessary.
    Ah. That makes sense as to why google was giving me links to files.

07-21-11 06:56 PM
    Did you even click the link on my post? I suggest you do.

Ah. That makes sense as to why google was giving me links to files.
    Funny, seems you too didn't click the link either, eh?

Yes, 4shared used to be a storage system (mostly, since you can search and download stuff from people's files if they are public) but they are offering sync services just like DropBox. Click the damn link you lazy buggers!
    Last edited by diegonei; 07-21-11 at 07:54 PM.
    07-21-11 07:50 PM
    Did you even click the link on my post? I suggest you do.

Funny, seems you too didn't click the link either, eh?

Yes, 4shared used to be a storage system (mostly, since you can search and download stuff from people's files if they are public) but they are offering sync services just like DropBox. Click the damn link you lazy buggers!
    Hey now, I clicked it. Their site tosses the word sharing around quite a bit, so I thought I'd google some things about them. While they do seem to be highly thought of in some places, more than a few searches took me to actual users' download pages. 4shared doesn't say they can't be cloud storage, however my assumption was that they seemed geared toward file sharing which disturbed is confirming.

07-21-11 08:26 PM
    dropbox is pretty awesome.

07-21-11 09:37 PM
    It sure is. SugarSync takes it up a notch or two.

Hey now, I clicked it. Their site tosses the word sharing around quite a bit, so I thought I'd google some things about them. While they do seem to be highly thought of in some places, more than a few searches took me to actual users' download pages. 4shared doesn't say they can't be cloud storage, however my assumption was that they seemed geared toward file sharing which disturbed is confirming.
    In their standard service, files can only be found if you want them to be, you can always change them to private if you want. I bet they have settings for the sync service so you don't end up sharing those naked pictures with the world. :P
    07-21-11 11:01 PM
    With Google docs or Dropbox the experience from a BlackBerry perspective is poor and fiddly to say the least assuming that forms part of your comparison.

ExSafe.net available on App World

there are two versions, one of which works superbly with a box.net account for those seeking free storage. It allows seamless version control on documents stored to the cloud and selective permissions on documents and spreadsheets. It integrates very nicely with documents to go on the BlackBerry. Incidentally the premium edition of documents to go will be avaiable free on OS7 devices. With ExSafe standard edition there are no syncing folders that need to be maintained on the local desktop as the experience is through the cloud and the desktop applications themselves - Word, Excel etc, so similar to Google docs in that respect

Tony

PS sometimes you have to pay for quality!!
    But but... SugarSync does all that for free... And if you must pay, they have monthly plans too.

I never tried the Dropbox app, but I agree, Google Docs on the BB is a bad experience all together (one of the reasons I ended up leaving it).
    07-22-11 08:50 AM

True! I love Dropbox! I have gone back and forth with GDocs and Dropbox and have settled with GDocs since I am a Google apps user. With the addition of "syncdocs" my GDocs now sync to my PC just like Dropbox does.
    07-22-11 09:36 AM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD