02-15-13 10:52 AM
    try as i might, i just cant take the mail seriously.

though it appears to be a google wallet issue rather then android.
    i can see why google wallet does this as it was around before the apps boom, so not much of a story but google should really have tweaked it when dealing with apps

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    02-15-13 11:00 AM
    The google privacy issue doesn't surprise me. They are data miners. That's what they do.
    02-15-13 11:01 AM
    I believe sharing personal info with developers is something BBRY reserves the right to do as well. This is a discussion that has made the rounds before (Google Play Store/Market serving as a third-party clearinghouse vs Apple's Appstore serving as THE seller). Looked through that lens (plus the fact that it is listed in Google's TOS), it makes a bit more sense.

But I am close to certain BBRY has similar verbiage in your TOS; I'll let others with a bit more knowledge confirm or correct.
    02-15-13 11:06 AM
    This article was pretty difficult to read. It seems like they kept using Google Wallet and Google Play Store interchangeably, when they're not the same thing at all. Plus at one point it was saying Google was giving out addresses, but then at another point they said they were giving out only suburbs. Also the claimant was a guy who made a novelty app, and he seems to be the first one to claim this. If this was a huge widespread issue I'm surprised more credible sources with the huge named apps like Netflix, Rovio, Instagram, etc haven't come out and been like "Whoa whoa! What does Google think they're doing??"

Regardless, it is definitey sneaky if this is indeed going on. If it is, it shouldn't be in some fine print somewhere, it should be right there along with the permissions we have to agree to in order to install the app. Maybe have an app permissions and a Google permissions and we have to agree separately to each set of permissions.
    02-15-13 11:18 AM
    We buy apps in the Play Store, we are purchasing from the developer, not from Google. After the 15 minutes is up, if you want a refund, you have to deal with the developer, who is the merchant.

But yes, more transparency is definitely in order.
    02-15-13 11:34 AM
    I hate to be the one to break it to you, but a huge majority of people don't care about these type of security issues. I understand that the Blackberry faithful are clinging to the security angle, but IOS and Android are running away with market share and more and more companies are willing to deal with these issues to keep their employees happy and using their existing Iphones and Android phones
    02-15-13 06:40 PM
    While some consumers won't care, the information should still get out there so that people know. Then they can make an informed decision whether they choose to change their smartphone or stick with it. At least let them go into things with their eyes wide open.
    zyben likes this.
    02-15-13 07:47 PM
    The google privacy issue doesn't surprise me. They are data miners. That's what they do.
    I don't care what anybody says or how much they want to downplay this aspect of Google's business model ... this is one of the bigger reasons why I will have nothing to do with Android. Ever.
    02-15-13 07:51 PM
    So, someone can know my email and address details? My email address is everywhere. My name and address are public record on the Electoral Rolls here. Free Public access. What's the big deal honestly?
    02-15-13 07:57 PM
    Everybody on this site talks about the horrible security issues with Android and how it's chock full of viruses, but it is gaining market share on a daily basis. Most people just don't care that much about security. You can rant and rave about how it's important to you, but it really doesn't matter as much as it used to. Most people just want to text, tweet, check Facebook and play with their favorite apps. I know Google is the devil on here, but it's not the lead dog by accident
    02-15-13 08:26 PM
    I think it's about choice...not all jurisdictions allow public perusal of addresses, names etc. What Google does is remove that choice regardless of jurisdiction or the individuals wishes.
    02-15-13 08:35 PM
    I have nothing to hide. I just do not like being an unpaid sales person for all things Google. Even if all they knew were some public info about me, every service that I sign up for finds new ways of learning more about me and sharing it with people and entities that I may not wish to. It's just a matter of preference. I'm not going to look down on anyone because they sign up for all of that, I just don't want to. I do not want Google to drive my car. I do not want Google to see everything I do through glasses. I do not want them to know what I search for either.
    I have un-Googled myself completely... well... except for Youtube. That's all that's left for me. Don't need Google for anything else at all, and I'm missing nothing.
    02-15-13 08:51 PM
    I think it's about choice...not all jurisdictions allow public perusal of addresses, names etc. What Google does is remove that choice regardless of jurisdiction or the individuals wishes.
    Of course it's about choice. If you don't like Google and it's services, don't use them. Most people choose to use them. If you are worried about security and don't read their privacy policies, that is your problem. Most people could care less and just want the personalized service that Google gives them. With Google Now, I get a card telling me how long my commute to work, or home, will take and what the traffic is like. If I don't want that, I can turn it off. You can long for a simpler and more isolated time, but the rest of us are enjoying having all this information at our fingertips
    02-15-13 08:59 PM
    I have nothing to hide. I just do not like being an unpaid sales person for all things Google. Even if all they knew were some public info about me, every service that I sign up for finds new ways of learning more about me and sharing it with people and entities that I may not wish to. It's just a matter of preference. I'm not going to look down on anyone because they sign up for all of that, I just don't want to. I do not want Google to drive my car. I do not want Google to see everything I do through glasses. I do not want them to know what I search for either.
    I have un-Googled myself completely... well... except for Youtube. That's all that's left for me. Don't need Google for anything else at all, and I'm missing nothing.
    Have you also abandoned the services of Microsoft, Facebook, Twitter and all the web pages you click on? I'm pretty sure that they are all making money off of the information you give them and probably aren't compensating you. If you don't like Google, that's fine. Don't act like they are the only ones making money off of the information they learn about you
    kevinnugent and jivegirl14 like this.
    02-15-13 09:09 PM