Goodbye Blackberry (for real sad)
This isn't a bash Blackberry thread, but more of a just, bye bye I'm sad thread.
Without making this a long post, Ill just say I am Canadian and have owned Blackberry devices from the early days. Got hooked and been a crackberry addict all the way up to the Bold 9900 which I am currently using. I bought the Blackberry Playbook 64GB for $699 day 1, and been telling everyone I know Blackberry is the best mobile platform out there with the best devices.
There was a day when that was true. But unfortunately as we all know that isn't the case. The last delay on BB10 was the final straw for me. Combined with being extremely disappointed in my Bold 9900 and Playbook. I seriously felt like RIM stole money from me selling me such terrible devices with such a (in todays standard) awful operating system.
My wife picked up the Nokia Lumia 900 on launch day and has been raving about it even since. I honestly feel silly when I pull out my Bold 9900 compared to her Lumia. OS doesn't lag, UI is so much better, its so smooth. Skydrive and cloud connected make my phone look worthless.
I am now selling my Playbook for $200 (if I can get that) per-ordering a Nokia Lumia 920 for myself and a HTC 8X for my Mom for Christmas. I have a Surface RT ordered for the wife and will be ordering a Surface Pro for myself when it launches. I really did love RIM, and I'm sad to leave them. But after seeing Microsoft's big picture, Windows 8, the phones and the tablets, cloud connected, merging onto 1 platform.... I really don't see how on earth Blackberry will be relevant in what I consider a war of ecosystems, not a war of smartphones.
Not sure why I even posted this, but felt like fellow Blackberry fans would understand.
If for someone reason BB10 is best thing since sliced bread and makes Microsoft Ecosystem look silly, I'll definitely check them out... until then I'm done.
- CrackBerry Genius
11-08-2012, 06:16 PM #2
- 2,739 Posts
Re: Goodbye Blackberry (for real sad)
Just my thoughts, but I bought the Lumia 900 a month back and while it's a nice phone with great transitions, I still haven't been able to use it as my primary phone. The problems are far too many to list. But the basic ones...
1) Notifications : Non Existence and no the live tiles don't do a good job of telling you what just came in.
2) If you think the battery life on your 9900 is bad, wait till you use the Lumia. I have an alternate number for my Lumia which no one has. I hardly use it to make calls, the battery drains just by looking at it.
3) I know for most people using a phone to make a call is so last century, but in case you actually use your phone to call people then you are in a world of hurt when you try dialling someone. Here's the typical process : Press Phone Tile> Select if you want to dial from history, address book or dialpad> if dialling from address book either scroll your 800 numbers or locate and press the tiny search icon> type in the name and press dial....all done in a day's work.
4) sound: You can't have a different sound volume for phone ringer and messages. You can't even have a different sound for different mailboxes and SMS.
So just hold your judgement till you actually use the phone. Apps are stupid and do not help you communicate. And on that WP doesn't have that many apps to warrant a shift for apps. You might just be posting that you are running to buy a 4 year old BB because it does a better job as a communication tool.
That being said, I really like the Lumia. It's a great phone....If only it could dial in under two minutes.
And helpful advice : get a screen protector. Don't fall for the Gorilla Glass claims of Nokia. The screen scratches just by running your finger on it. The Nokia screen scratched in ten days while my 9900 screen has seen 14 months of action without a single scratch. And I don't have a screen protector or a case for my 9900. And my Lumia sits at home while the 9900 gets thrown in the car dashboard without any sort of protection.Through the Years :2001 Ericsson T29s> Sony Z5> Sony Z7> SE Z600>Moto A760> RAZR V3>Razr V3i>BB 8800>BB 9500 >BB 9800>Bold 9900..RIM Returns with a bang
Life was much simpler when Apple and Blackberry were just fruits
- 11-08-2012, 06:23 PM #3
Re: Goodbye Blackberry (for real sad)~Matt
16GB PB & Rooted Nexus 4, Z10 LE
- By toomuchgame441 in forum Rehab & Off-Topic LoungeReplies: 48Last Post: 03-05-2010, 10:51 PM
- By toomuchgame441 in forum Other PlatformsReplies: 32Last Post: 09-19-2009, 11:18 AM
- By cent0909 in forum Business UsersReplies: 2Last Post: 09-14-2009, 10:44 PM
- By skylartoups in forum BlackBerry OS AppsReplies: 489Last Post: 12-08-2008, 09:50 PM
- By skylartoups in forum News & RumorsReplies: 498Last Post: 12-08-2008, 09:50 PM