[QUOTE=awindsr;11887858]
    Native development uses BPS(Blackberry Platform Services) and QML for the layout. However, a developer can use SDL or another framework for front end. QML is absolutely not required. The BPS is NOT QT nor does it use QT Core to for subsystem calls.

Developers also have the option to create HTML5 apps, Android apps, and Adobe Air apps.

The Qnx kernel is a Posix based OS and has nothing to do with QT. QT apps will not work on BB10 but can work on the Car platform.

QT5 framework not being available to BB10 makes no difference to the BPS nor does it somehow make the system insecure.

Unless Blackberry wants to drastically rework cascades, there's no need at all to make any updates. If they did, it wouldn't be difficult at all.

As an investor, I would prefer they continue porting the Blackberry productivity suite to Android. It is a simple task and has could be a huge business opportunity.

Our UI updates can wait.

Posted via CB10
    Very nice, and perhaps even partially accurate, but absolutely none of this is happening.

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2639
    awindsr likes this.
    08-29-15 03:26 PM
    Adobe Air support was removed with 10.3.1 - even existing native BB10 apps coded in Air no longer work.
    awindsr likes this.
    08-30-15 07:38 PM
    Ya it's so cool, this way u know Google is reading and processing your information and know essentially everything about u lol.......... Not!

Posted on my Z30.......while on the can
    For a group that always touts "productivity" to then dismiss integration like that is puzzling. Not only is my calendar updated, but I get a notoficarion when I should leave for the airport. That notification takes current traffic conditions into account. When in a different city, that is invaluable. It's also a lot more productive than having to manually update my calendar and either check traffic or leave for the airport early.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    08-31-15 10:11 AM
    For a group that always touts "productivity" to then dismiss integration like that is puzzling. Not only is my calendar updated, but I get a notoficarion when I should leave for the airport. That notification takes current traffic conditions into account. When in a different city, that is invaluable. It's also a lot more productive than having to manually update my calendar and either check traffic or leave for the airport early.
    I am OK with that as long as the information is in a Black Box and an advertising company isn't looking at it. This productivity can be done without the company actually harvesting information and targeting advertising to you or selling the data to a third party.
    08-31-15 10:16 AM
    I am OK with that as long as the information is in a Black Box and an advertising company isn't looking at it. This productivity can be done without the company actually harvesting information and targeting advertising to you or selling the data to a third party.
    So much FUD in this. Advertising companies are not looking at your data. Ads are selected by Google to fit your preferences. And not so much by email content but through search history. And the selling your data has been debunked so many times already. Google does not sell individual data, but aggregate data.
    08-31-15 10:23 AM
    So much FUD in this. Advertising companies are not looking at your data. Ads are selected by Google to fit your preferences. And not so much by email content but through search history. And the selling your data has been debunked so many times already. Google does not sell individual data, but aggregate data.
    Bulls**t. Ever hear of targeted ad's? Don't believe the android/Google apologists. There is FAR more direct tracking and data mining going on than "they" would lead you to believe.
    08-31-15 10:36 AM
    Bulls**t. Ever hear of targeted ad's? Don't believe the android/Google apologists. There is FAR more direct tracking and data mining going on than "they" would lead you to believe.
    Yes, I've heard of targeted ads. The advertisers are not the ones controlling the ads. The flow id pretty much, the website has ad space, mostly doubleclick. So doubleclick, for example, queries Google for the type of ads it should give you, Google responds. It does not mean Google sells your information to the end advertiser.
    08-31-15 11:01 AM
    Yes, I've heard of targeted ads. The advertisers are not the ones controlling the ads. The flow id pretty much, the website has ad space, mostly doubleclick. So doubleclick, for example, queries Google for the type of ads it should give you, Google responds. It does not mean Google sells your information to the end advertiser.
    Does it really matter if Google or the third party advertisers have a heap of your data? They are both nothing but greedy and evil and care about nothing but making a buck off of you. Privacy be damned.
    extisis likes this.
    08-31-15 11:03 AM
    Who says BB10 is coming to an end?

Posted via CB10
    08-31-15 11:08 AM
    Does it really matter if Google or the third party advertisers have a heap of your data? They are both nothing but greedy and evil and care about nothing but making a buck off of you. Privacy be damned.
    Isn't that what all corporations care about (making a buck off you)? I can't remember the last time BlackBerry sent me a get well card when I was sick. Or even a "Happy B-Day!" email. They never call, then never write....
    08-31-15 11:14 AM
    Who says BB10 is coming to an end?

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry by not planning to update the OS and frameworks.
    08-31-15 11:35 AM
    I do this with the BlackBerry Travel app. And seamlessly.

Posted via CB10
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    08-31-15 11:51 AM
    considering the latest leaks and the whole dual boot rumour, I don't think bb 10 is going to end ,may be after one or two year (hope that's not gonna happen) but not now,not at this moment. I think it may change its form but dying?? nah ! i don't think so...
    08-31-15 12:06 PM
    considering the latest leaks and the whole dual boot rumour, I don't think bb 10 is going to end ,may be after one or two year (hope that's not gonna happen) but not now,not at this moment. I think it may change its form but dying?? nah ! i don't think so...
    I think people have a different definition of "end".

It has already ended if you mean future development.

It has not ended if you mean continued support and minor updates.

08-31-15 12:19 PM
    I guess as long as they sell handsets that run BB10 then it hasn't ended but for every other participant in the ecosystem, from a practical standpoint, it won't exist. Has webOS ended? You can still buy a new Palm Pre from various vendors on Amazon and webOSNation is still up and running.
    08-31-15 12:31 PM
    Actually, yes it does. Since the mantra here is "Google sells all your private details". They do not.
    08-31-15 12:39 PM
    Isn't that what all corporations care about (making a buck off you)? I can't remember the last time BlackBerry sent me a get well card when I was sick. Or even a "Happy B-Day!" email. They never call, then never write....
    Relationships are a two way street. Do wish them Happy Birthday? Do you ever write them? It takes some effort but the rewards can be.... well... good. . I guess....

Posted via CB10
    lift likes this.
    08-31-15 01:19 PM
    Anyone that hangs out a shingle and says they aren't in it for the money is a fool or a liar. In the sphere of information technology, there are three revenue streams: hardware sales, software/service sales and data monetisation. Except for Apple, hardware revenues in the realm of mobile phones come in the flavours of slim and none. Virtually all of Google's services are offered free of charge. That leaves data monetisation, i.e., making their money off of you, in the form of targeted advertising. It's a fact and I don't feel they're particularly obfuscatory about it.

If you want such a thing changed, you have two options: refuse material support and opportunity by eschewing products, or criminalise the practice. I can tell you now that there is no political will for the latter, irrespective of whom gets elected. You can absolutely choose to avoid all of Google's services like the plague and that's your prerogative but, if you wish to do so and still have access to mobile phone service, you need a viable company to offer the alternative service. In the very near future, your primary vendor for that alternative will have disappeared. It's disconcerting but it's reality.
    Last edited by JohnGrey; 08-31-15 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Typos
    DrBoomBotz and lift like this.
    08-31-15 02:46 PM
    Actually, yes it does. Since the mantra here is "Google sells all your private details". They do not.
    Sorry but let's just agree that we disagree on this.
    08-31-15 02:52 PM
    I think people have a different definition of "end".

It has already ended if you mean future development.

It has not ended if you mean continued support and minor updates.

No it's not dying if rumours of blackberry giving options of choosing the os are true.

Posted via BlackBerry Z30STA100-2/10.2.1.3442
    08-31-15 02:58 PM
    No it's not dying if rumours of blackberry giving options of choosing the os are true.

I'm very doubtful of this supposed option. We'll see.

Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    08-31-15 03:05 PM
    I'm very doubtful of this supposed option. We'll see.

I am doubtful also.
    08-31-15 03:05 PM

This almost certainly won't happen unless Venice is shipped with both. Blackberry doesn't have the infrastructure for an OTA rollout on such a scale, especially if the device sells to any appreciable degree. Even MIcrosoft, one of the largest IT companies in the world, had to manage the rollout of Windows 10 with a reservation system and even then it was a miserable experience that took weeks. If you want massive amounts of returns for Venice, one of the surest way to do it is to have them sit idle for several weeks with a bootloader screen cheerfully suggesting that one try again later.
    08-31-15 03:09 PM
    Relationships are a two way street. Do wish them Happy Birthday? Do you ever write them? It takes some effort but the rewards can be.... well... good. . I guess....

Posted via CB10
    No, because my relationship with BlackBerry is one of consumer and business. As such, I give them money in return for products and services I want. But that's only to purchase the product.

If I use the product, I also give them data (and plenty of it according to their TOS) so they can improve their offerings, share with partners and sell advertising. Let's not forget that up until June, BlackBerry had their own ad biz.

And that doesn't even include everyone in-between that takes a cut of the data mining (telecomm service provider, website, app, etc.). They're all making a buck off selling me ads or better figuring out how to sell my info to others.

I don't pretend that Google is the only one making money off me and I don't fault them for being successful and offering services people want.

Posted via CB10
    08-31-15 03:55 PM

ETA:

Last edited by pantlesspenguin; 08-31-15 at 04:10 PM.
    08-31-15 03:57 PM
261 ... 7891011