Goodbye BlackBerry 10? Hahaha what a troll. BlackBerry 10 hasn't even been released yet. 2 more months ya'll! No sleep till BlackBerry 10. No sleep till BlackBerry 10. No sleep till BlackBerry 10! Can't wait for the keynote. I hope their efforts to get developers on board works out. Can't wait too see all the new native super apps! Yowza!

Posted via CB10
    peednus likes this.
    08-28-15 01:43 PM
    I'm so sad I think I will start just getting rid of my BlackBerry devices for now /: it hurts to see such a great os go

Posted via CB10
    Have a tissue. Cry some more.

Also, the leap is a downgrade.

Posted via Commodore 64
    08-28-15 01:58 PM
    Do you suppose he ever intended to? Personally, I don't. And I suspect he made that clear before accepting the job.

Just a guess.
    I do think getting rid of hardware was on his mind from the beginning.

But I really don't think BES10 or BES12 have been as well received as some here think it has been. I think Chen soon learned that hardware was very much needed to sell BES. And I think that he has learned that as much potential as QNX has provided for IoT and Medical. These products are VERY slow to evolve, so right now the only thing that BlackBerry has to sell..... is hardware (and whatever isn't bolted down).

What I do wonder is WHEN did they start working on the BlackBerry Experience and Android for their OS. There have been rumors of Android running on BlackBerry hardware for a LONG time....
    08-28-15 02:47 PM
    Goodbye BlackBerry 10? Hahaha what a troll. BlackBerry 10 hasn't even been released yet. 2 more months ya'll! No sleep till BlackBerry 10. No sleep till BlackBerry 10. No sleep till BlackBerry 10! Can't wait for the keynote. I hope their efforts to get developers on board works out. Can't wait too see all the new native super apps! Yowza!

Posted via CB10
    Did you fall asleep and grow a very long beard? Haha.

Posted via CB10
    lift likes this.
    08-28-15 02:52 PM
    Did you fall asleep and grow a very long beard? Haha.

Posted via CB10
    I know right!
    08-28-15 03:07 PM

Posted via CB10
    08-28-15 05:13 PM

2008!
    08-28-15 05:18 PM
    You switched terms. What GadgetTravel said was that the app gap is very real. You said it's not very real to you, and that people who find it -- the app gap -- real should just switch phones.

Now you're suggesting that people who find the app gap very real are people who really want Android.

Well no, they're not. What a large number of people around here, myself included, really want is for BB10 not to have the app gap to deal with. We really want the important apps to be there in BBW, in native form. We don't really want Android.

No I didn't make that point of specifically wanting android it was just an example of how or why anyone with the app gap itch should just switch. It could be any other popular OS. How many are there? Lol

And like I said in another post, wasn't aware you spoke for so many.

Posted via CB10
    08-28-15 07:24 PM
    No I didn't make that point of specifically wanting android it was just an example of how or why anyone with the app gap itch should just switch. It could be any other popular OS. How many are there? Lol
    Your words were, "You're not meant to use BlackBerry if all you really want is Android."

Who has said that all they really want is Android?

And like I said in another post, wasn't aware you spoke for so many.
    I've yet to see anybody on this forum say that all they really want is Android. I've seen a lot of people say they'd like to see BB10 flourish with the apps it needs to do so, but since it hasn't happened, they're open to Android. I speak not for them but with them.
    08-28-15 07:37 PM
    That is all BlackBerry has given BB10 is time. They never gave it effort. They never tried to really make it successful. They didn't put out any consumer education. They didn't provide any incentives for BBOS users to upgrade. They threw it out and expected the name BlackBerry to sell it. Chen has released a poor product line to run the the OS on and put in the time of watching it fail.

Posted via Z30
    I can see the education campaign now - "Dear Users,

Here's how you check your email, here's how you take notes, etc. Here's Flow and Peek (we've shown these features off plenty of times but we'll do it again).

All those apps on the other platform? You don't need them! No, not because we have better substitutes. It's because you don't need to do anything other than check email and make phone calls. Everyone on CrackBerry agrees with us."

Sounds like "Tools, Not Toys." And we all know how that marketing campaign went over.
    08-28-15 08:32 PM
    I do think getting rid of hardware was on his mind from the beginning.

But I really don't think BES10 or BES12 have been as well received as some here think it has been. I think Chen soon learned that hardware was very much needed to sell BES. And I think that he has learned that as much potential as QNX has provided for IoT and Medical. These products are VERY slow to evolve, so right now the only thing that BlackBerry has to sell..... is hardware (and whatever isn't bolted down).

What I do wonder is WHEN did they start working on the BlackBerry Experience and Android for their OS. There have been rumors of Android running on BlackBerry hardware for a LONG time....
    Hardware isn't necessary for selling BES. A feature set comparable to the competition: the ability to effectively manage multiple platforms equally, the ability to work with cloud-based email systems and an admin interface that isn't so retro it looks like it comes from the Dark Ages of UI/UX design are what's necessary.

Sadly, they were late to this party as well. At least they're closing the gap with recent versions of BES12.
    08-28-15 08:39 PM
    Your words were, "You're not meant to use BlackBerry if all you really want is Android."

Who has said that all they really want is Android?

I've yet to see anybody on this forum say that all they really want is Android. I've seen a lot of people say they'd like to see BB10 flourish with the apps it needs to do so, but since it hasn't happened, they're open to Android. I speak not for them but with them.
    ok then. let me put this way since you love arguing semantics: you don't really want android but it's got the apps so you'll take it. i wont.

and i've seen plenty of people here clamoring for android on our BlackBerries, where have you been ?

Do you suppose he ever intended to? Personally, I don't. And I suspect he made that clear before accepting the job.

Just a guess.
    why are you guessing this was obvious from the very beginning.
    lift likes this.
    08-28-15 09:17 PM
    ok then. let me put this way since you love arguing semantics: you don't really want android but it's got the apps so you'll take it.
    Well done. It's the exact negation of your original claim, and had the added advantage of being true.

i wont.
    This was never in doubt.

and i've seen plenty of people here clamoring for android on our BlackBerries, where have you been ?
    Name three.

why are you guessing this was obvious from the very beginning.
    Maybe so. What I'm guessing at is that this plan was part of his getting the job at all; that before he signed a contract he made it clear.
    08-29-15 05:32 AM
    As someone else said, lots of the APIs and services that the phone currently uses will be changed on the server side as technology evolves. Just as Flash was retired by YouTube and in the process broke lots of YouTube apps on smart TVs, Blu-Ray players, and so on, there will be changes at the carriers, changes at various services and so on. Things will progressively break even though the phone will stay the same - because working phones constantly change to stay current.
    I could swear that YouTube still defaults to the Flash player on my Android phone (Firefox Browser and click to play) when I open the site in desktop mode.
    08-29-15 06:00 AM
    I can see the education campaign now - "Dear Users,

Here's how you check your email, here's how you take notes, etc. Here's Flow and Peek (we've shown these features off plenty of times but we'll do it again).

All those apps on the other platform? You don't need them! No, not because we have better substitutes. It's because you don't need to do anything other than check email and make phone calls. Everyone on CrackBerry agrees with us."

Sounds like "Tools, Not Toys." And we all know how that marketing campaign went over.
    No it needed to be something like here is our completely new OS, it isn't your bosses BlackBerry. No battery pulls, no spinning clocks, no reboots every every app installation or delete. We have apps built for our phone, and you can download Android app too.

They needed to do brand rehab. BBOS and it's experience had tarnished the brand compared to the offerings from Apple and Google. They finally got the OS really good and on par at 10.2.1, when Chen came in, and needed to start a push then, but they instead decided to let hardware and BB10 die, only 9 months after release.

Posted via Z30
    08-29-15 08:13 AM
    No it needed to be something like here is our completely new OS, it isn't your bosses BlackBerry. No battery pulls, no spinning clocks, no reboots every every app installation or delete. We have apps built for our phone, and you can download Android app too.

They needed to do brand rehab. BBOS and it's experience had tarnished the brand compared to the offerings from Apple and Google. They finally got the OS really good and on par at 10.2.1, when Chen came in, and needed to start a push then, but they instead decided to let hardware and BB10 die, only 9 months after release.

Posted via Z30
    "Not your bosses BlackBerry" is a list of ways of how it's better than BBOS, not the competition.

Maybe that would work for folks jumping from BBOS (unless they are looking for apps on their next phone).

Android compatibility would've been a non-starter during the launch campaign. At that point only Android apps from BBW could be installed. And the big names just weren't there.

Marketing cannot completely solve the rational consumer paradox. Why would the average person spend $600 on a flagship phone that can't compete on the features most consumers want?

Bad car analogy alert:

It doesn't how well you market a Yugo (yeah, I'm dating myself), you can't price it the same as a luxury sedan and wonder why it's not selling.
    08-29-15 08:28 AM
    "Not your bosses BlackBerry" is a list of ways of how it's better than BBOS, not the competition.

Maybe that would work for folks jumping from BBOS (unless they are looking for apps on their next phone).

Android compatibility would've been a non-starter during the launch campaign. At that point only Android apps from BBW could be installed. And the big names just weren't there.

Marketing cannot completely solve the rational consumer paradox. Why would the average person spend $600 on a flagship phone that can't compete on the features most consumers want?

Bad car analogy alert:

It doesn't how well you market a Yugo (yeah, I'm dating myself), you can't price it the same as a luxury sedan and wonder why it's not selling.
    Oh I agree on pricing, and they didn't have a great product to advertise until 10.2.1. Remember the Yugo well too. But they took the failure of 10.0 and 10.1 on overpriced underspec'd hardware, even though they sold more then than now, and basically quit. Most of the buying public still think BlackBerry is BBOS. Most are astonished when they see my Z30 that BlackBerry made a 5" all touch phone and can't believe that it looks modern how the OS works. This is why I think Android will fail for them too, because no one will know it even exists or is running Android.

Posted via Z30
    08-29-15 09:11 AM
    Oh I agree on pricing, and they didn't have a great product to advertise until 10.2.1. Remember the Yugo well too. But they took the failure of 10.0 and 10.1 on overpriced underspec'd hardware, even though they sold more then than now, and basically quit. Most of the buying public still think BlackBerry is BBOS. Most are astonished when they see my Z30 that BlackBerry made a 5" all touch phone and can't believe that it looks modern how the OS works. This is why I think Android will fail for them too, because no one will know it even exists or is running Android.

Posted via Z30
    Many folks are astonished when looking at BB10. But they quickly lose interest when they see it can't do what they need.

Despite what many around here say, I don't think Chen and BB are stupid. They know they can't invest in a mass-market ad campaign because they can't compete there right now.

My guess? We'll see a marketing push when the Android devices are released.
    08-29-15 09:25 AM
    This is a perfect example of a harmful thread.
    You are now personally responsible for spreading FUD (fear uncertainty and doubt). Chen has stated that BB10 support is not ending. You do realize that BB10 is integral to the best end to end security platform on the market and is has important role to play in BlackBerry�s enterprise push. Every phone they don't sell now because of these continual negative threads are a direct cause of hardware losses and ARE harming the continued creation of new hardware which in turn affects BB10.
    I personally don't care for the Android OS, but have no problem with BlackBerry making Android phones. It makes sense with their cross platform strategy. Remember, it's about confidence in the security offering BlackBerry is famous for. I guarantee you this, world leaders won't be using an Android phone, but less important staffers will.
    There is a place for Android with enterprise and a market for BlackBerry to capitalize on.
    None of this doom and gloom talk will stop me from my next BlackBerry purchase.
    If you want to not buy a new BlackBerry phone because of foolish talk, then you are directly contributing to BB10 demise which is counter to your desire for its survival.

Posted via CB10
    miker476 likes this.
    08-29-15 09:52 AM
    You are now personally responsible for spreading FUD (fear uncertainty and doubt). Chen has stated that BB10 support is not ending. You do realize that BB10 is integral to the best end to end security platform on the market and is has important role to play in BlackBerry�s enterprise push. Every phone they don't sell now because of these continual negative threads are a direct cause of hardware losses and ARE harming the continued creation of new hardware which in turn affects BB10.
    I personally don't care for the Android OS, but have no problem with BlackBerry making Android phones. It makes sense with their cross platform strategy. Remember, it's about confidence in the security offering BlackBerry is famous for. I guarantee you this, world leaders won't be using an Android phone, but less important staffers will.
    There is a place for Android with enterprise and a market for BlackBerry to capitalize on.
    If you want to not buy a new BlackBerry phone because of foolish talk, then you are directly contributing to BB10 demise which is counter to your desire for its survival.

Posted via CB10
    BB10 is ending in the sense that it not being developed any further. The tools to create it and to code for it have almost all gone EOL. It will probably continue to exist at a support level for a period of time, that is true.

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2639
    Last edited by conite; 08-29-15 at 11:59 AM.
    08-29-15 10:07 AM
    You are now personally responsible for spreading FUD (fear uncertainty and doubt). Chen has stated that BB10 support is not ending. You do realize that BB10 is integral to the best end to end security platform on the market and is has important role to play in BlackBerry’s enterprise push. Every phone they don't sell now because of these continual negative threads are a direct cause of hardware losses and ARE harming the continued creation of new hardware which in turn affects BB10.

Posted via CB10
    Lighten up Francis.........
    08-29-15 10:45 AM
    To the contrary, everyone else didn't know about BB10.
    Agreed.

Posted via CB10
    08-29-15 11:37 AM
    Well done. It's the exact negation of your original claim, and had the added advantage of being true.

This was never in doubt.

Name three.

Maybe so. What I'm guessing at is that this plan was part of his getting the job at all; that before he signed a contract he made it clear.
    I'm not going to do your research for you. Look at the forums more often and Read. You can dissect my posts all you want.

Posted via CB10
    08-29-15 11:44 AM
    finally i got a leap. im sticking to BB
    awindsr likes this.
    08-29-15 02:50 PM
    BB10 is ending in the sense that it not being developed any further. The tools to create it and to code for it have almost all gone EOL. It will probably continue to exist at a support level for a period of time, that is true.

PassportSQW100-4/10.3.2.2639
    [QUOTE=theRock1975;11877593]Native development uses BPS(Blackberry Platform Services) and QML for the layout. However, a developer can use SDL or another framework for front end. QML is absolutely not required. The BPS is NOT QT nor does it use QT Core to for subsystem calls.

Developers also have the option to create HTML5 apps, Android apps, and Adobe Air apps.

The Qnx kernel is a Posix based OS and has nothing to do with QT. QT apps will not work on BB10 but can work on the Car platform.

QT5 framework not being available to BB10 makes no difference to the BPS nor does it somehow make the system insecure.

Unless Blackberry wants to drastically rework cascades, there's no need at all to make any updates. If they did, it wouldn't be difficult at all.

As an investor, I would prefer they continue porting the Blackberry productivity suite to Android. It is a simple task and has could be a huge business opportunity.

Our UI updates can wait.

Posted via CB10
    dalama32 likes this.
    08-29-15 02:57 PM
261 ... 678910 ...