Hi, all.

I know we're all RIM-centric here at CB, but I'd like to ask for input from anyone who has personal experience using any mobile phone (BB or otherwise) both in the U.S. and abroad.

My brother is a pilot, and he could potentially fly to Canada, Europe or South America at a moment's notice. And, he's considering a new smartphone.

He is a Sprint customer and is actually considering the Samsung ACE. I don't think the phone looks very nice, but I've seen reviews online with better-than-average ratings overall.

Is the operating system on the BB 8830 world edition phone going to be upgradeable when RIM launches the upcoming update?

Has anyone actually used the BB 8830 outside the U.S.? Was it easy to get a signal?

(Personally, I'd bet that using Skype through a laptop would be far less expensive than a mobile phone, but anyway....)

Thank you all!
    06-17-08 08:22 PM
    The best thing about blackberries is that you can get an unlimited worldwide data plan. I know at&t does it in the states, I don't know about Sprint. I think this is essential for anyone who travels a lot. It is actually the main reason which I bought my blackberry in the first place. If your brother wants to save money thats the best way because he can im , pin or email whoever when hes traveling. Dont need to make any phone calls so you save a lot on roaming charges.
    06-18-08 02:49 AM
    The best thing about blackberries is that you can get an unlimited worldwide data plan.
    Which blackberry, dubai? Only the 8830 world edition phone? Or, does the Curve offer the same abilities?

Thank you!
    06-18-08 02:53 AM
    if you are with Sprint or Verizon, yes only the 8830. But if you are with AT&T all models pearls, curves, 8800, and the Bold will work around the world.
    06-18-08 02:06 PM
    Wow...I didn't know that about AT&T. I'll look into it further. Thank you, dubai and jennifer!
    06-20-08 01:22 PM
    A couple of things to be aware of... When you have the BB add on for international, it covers data. You then need to add the World Traveler for 5.99/mo to reduce the per minute rate, not unlimited usage.

All this can be found @ wireless.att.com/world

Click the roaming tab and your all set.

Also if he is going to Canada, they have their own international add on for voice, called AT&T Canada.
    06-20-08 03:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD