I need to retrieve my contacts from a lost blackberry using a pc.I still have my blackberry protector.Please help need some phone numbers on
    the device
    07-28-16 05:26 AM
    No it's not possible.

If you had a BBOS device then those contacts were probable saved and can be restored to a BBOS or even a BB10 phone. But you can't access them.

If you had a BB10 phone, BlackBerry Protect doesn't not save any info or allow you to access info on a lost phone.

If you have a BlackBerry Android.... most all the info should be saved and ready to be deployed to a new device if you used Google to save it as is actived by default.

Now if you used an email account that uses IMAP or Active-Sync... then all your contacts should be accessible by that emails web portal.
    No it's not possible.

If you had a BBOS device then those contacts were probable saved and can be restored to a BBOS or even a BB10 phone. But you can't access them.

If you had a BB10 phone, BlackBerry Protect doesn't not save any info or allow you to access info on a lost phone.

If you have a BlackBerry Android.... most all the info should be saved and ready to be deployed to a new device if you used Google to save it as is actived by default.

Now if you used an email account that uses IMAP or Active-Sync... then all your contacts should be accessible by that emails web portal.
    07-28-16 08:14 AM
    I need to retrieve my contacts from a lost blackberry using a pc.I still have my blackberry protector.Please help need some phone numbers on
    the device
    If you backed up your device at any point using the BlackBerry Link on your PC, you will be able to recover files from a lost device.

Posted via CB10
    Jerry A likes this.
    07-30-16 06:06 AM
    Are the contacts synced over the air with some sort of email account service?

Posted via CB App for Android on Tab4 (interim Playbook replacement)
    FahedAlDerbi likes this.
    07-30-16 06:36 AM
    Are the contacts synced over the air with some sort of email account service?

It depends on the settings you use. All of my contacts are synched with the appropriate server for those contacts. I currently have four different accounts for contacts (personal w/ Outlook.com, my company's Exchange server, and two client companies' email servers). Contacts are synched with the appropriate account.

Some consumers, used to Apple or Google, may find this confusing. Because Blackberry was built for business, it doesn't try to aggregate all of your contacts for you in the Cloud the way that Apple and Google do. Apple does it to make it hard to leave them, and Google does it for marketing data. Blackberry is more respectful of the original context/source of each contact, but that comes at the cost of greater complexity.

With BB10, you pretty much need to know what you're doing or just use a single account in the cloud.

Posted via CB10
    07-30-16 06:54 PM
    In your case bb10adopter, I don't think you'd have any problem still having access to your contacts even if you lost your device. That's kind of what I was asking in regards to if the OP had a similar setup or if they just had contacts stored via local device or something.

07-30-16 08:48 PM
    It depends on the settings you use. All of my contacts are synched with the appropriate server for those contacts. I currently have four different accounts for contacts (personal w/ Outlook.com, my company's Exchange server, and two client companies' email servers). Contacts are synched with the appropriate account.

Some consumers, used to Apple or Google, may find this confusing. Because Blackberry was built for business, it doesn't try to aggregate all of your contacts for you in the Cloud the way that Apple and Google do. Apple does it to make it hard to leave them, and Google does it for marketing data. Blackberry is more respectful of the original context/source of each contact, but that comes at the cost of greater complexity.

With BB10, you pretty much need to know what you're doing or just use a single account in the cloud.

Posted via CB10
    Huh?

How is the ActiveSync (Outlook.com & Exchange) scenario any different than the iCloud & Google scenarios (apart from being CardDAV based).

Contacts are stored in the cloud (iCloud, Google, Outlook.com) and synced to your devices of choice.

Or they're stored on premises and/or the cloud (depends on Exchange scenario) and synced to your devices of choice.

Each of the above services gives you a 1-button export for migrating your contacts to another provider.

BB10 doesn't do anything different from iOS or Android when syncing contacts.

Everything you wrote is utter hogwash.
    cribble2k and StephanieMaks like this.
    07-30-16 09:22 PM
    I think what he meant was that BlackBerry doesn't store phone contacts in the cloud, natively. But android does (unless you check no) backup contact data if associated with an app. In settings, backup and restore.

BlackBerry only stores them in a Link backup. Or a cloud account, but if the OP had a cloud account for contacts then, presumably, he wouldn't have asked the question.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android (Priv)
    07-30-16 09:32 PM
    I think what he meant was that BlackBerry doesn't store phone contacts in the cloud, natively. But android does (unless you check no) backup contact data if associated with an app. In settings, backup and restore.

BlackBerry only stores them in a Link backup. Or a cloud account, but if the OP had a cloud account for contacts then, presumably, he wouldn't have asked the question.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android (Priv)

Maybe I just don't get it. The previous posters meaning was lost on me once they started tossing around incorrect info.

BlackBerry does store contacts wherever you tell it to. Local or cloud-based. All depends on where you tell it to store. If you make Gmail your default account, guess what? Yep, stores them on Gmail.

iOS does the same. Tell it to store locally and guess what? Yep, only on the device (and accessible via iTunes - i.e. a propriety app just like BB Link).

Android, more of the same (and varies greatly based on the contact app).
    07-31-16 12:41 AM
    If you installed blackberry blend and the phone is still on you might get them that way.

Posted via CB10
    07-31-16 03:48 AM
    Huh?

How is the ActiveSync (Outlook.com & Exchange) scenario any different than the iCloud & Google scenarios (apart from being CardDAV based).

Contacts are stored in the cloud (iCloud, Google, Outlook.com) and synced to your devices of choice.

Or they're stored on premises and/or the cloud (depends on Exchange scenario) and synced to your devices of choice.

Each of the above services gives you a 1-button export for migrating your contacts to another provider.

BB10 doesn't do anything different from iOS or Android when syncing contacts.

Everything you wrote is utter hogwash.
    So, on iPhone I can synch to multiple accounts while still segregating contacts I add on my phone? I last tried that with iOS 7 and kept finding contacts being defaulted to a single cloud location.

If I lost my BB10 phone, in the OP's scenario, without a backup, my Gmail contacts would be in Gmail, my Outlook.com contacts in Outlook.com, my Office 365 contacts in Office 365, Client #1's contacts on their Exchange Server, and Client #2's contacts on their Dreamhost server. So, by adding each account to my new phone I could recover all of my contacts with zero duplication.

The last time it tried to run multiple accounts on iPhone, it kept trying to default new contacts entries on the phone to a single account. Has that been fixed?

Posted via CB10
    07-31-16 12:36 PM
    So, on iPhone I can synch to multiple accounts while still segregating contacts I add on my phone? I last tried that with iOS 7 and kept finding contacts being defaulted to a single cloud location.

If I lost my BB10 phone, in the OP's scenario, without a backup, my Gmail contacts would be in Gmail, my Outlook.com contacts in Outlook.com, my Office 365 contacts in Office 365, Client #1's contacts on their Exchange Server, and Client #2's contacts on their Dreamhost server. So, by adding each account to my new phone I could recover all of my contacts with zero duplication.

The last time it tried to run multiple accounts on iPhone, it kept trying to default new contacts entries on the phone to a single account. Has that been fixed?

Posted via CB10
    Nope iOS still creates new entries to the default account. You'd need to change the default account each time you wanted to create a contact in a different location.

But that's for creating new contacts.

Everything else works the same as you described - and has since before BB10 (iOS 2 or 3).
    07-31-16 01:40 PM
    Nope iOS still creates new entries to the default account. You'd need to change the default account each time you wanted to create a contact in a different location.

But that's for creating new contacts.

Everything else works the same as you described - and has since before BB10 (iOS 2 or 3).
    Thanks. That was a huge problem for me as I create most new contacts at various trade shows on my phone, and need to associate them with the proper account.

But, for the OP, the basic issue is simply whether he had set up any contacts account with any cloud service. As has been said, the only way BlackBerry backs up local contacts is through BlackBerry Link.

What I was trying to say is that, for the average non-technical user, Apple steers him or her to I Cloud, and Android steers him/her towards Gmail, both of which sync contacts by default.

Posted via CB10
    07-31-16 02:53 PM
    Everytime I create a new contact on my z10, I need to pay attention to not leave local device contacts selected. Then it creates the contact in the applicable cloud service I use for ota contact synch. If someone is not paying attention or not fully in the know, I can see how on bb10 (non corporate device) contacts would by default get created in local device or SIM, meaning they will be at risk of being lost if not backedup periodically through something like link if the device is lost.

07-31-16 07:28 PM
    Everytime I create a new contact on my z10, I need to pay attention to not leave local device contacts selected. Then it creates the contact in the applicable cloud service I use for ota contact synch. If someone is not paying attention or not fully in the know, I can see how on bb10 (non corporate device) contacts would by default get created in local device or SIM, meaning they will be at risk of being lost if not backedup periodically through something like link if the device is lost.

EXACTLY!

Posted via CB10
    08-01-16 10:11 AM