Research, no motion: How the BlackBerry CEOs lost an empire @ Research, no motion: How the BlackBerry CEOs lost an empire | The Verge

Good writeup of the history of Blackberry and not TOO negative.
    08-29-13 08:10 PM
    This is a very old story.
    Akuji_ism likes this.
    08-29-13 08:29 PM
    The Verge has american based agendas. Avoid the site. Trust me.

Posted via CB10
    08-29-13 08:44 PM
    Too old of a story, and besides the Verge's neutrality and objectivity as a tech journalist is basically... questionable.

Just moments ago they tweeted about someone yelling in twitter "what the eff is a xiaomi" retweeting an entire barrage of anti-xiaomi.

Just because it has an obscure presence in the USA, doesn't mean its a low-tech good for nothing chinese company. My point here is to criticize The Verge and its objectivity.
    laketrout73 likes this.
    08-29-13 08:56 PM
    What exactly are those agendas?

Just a rhetorical question. You don't need to answer as I know what the answer will be.
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    08-29-13 09:03 PM
    Was this article written a year and a half ago and just now published? I found it a compelling read until the end when it turns into a press release and acts as if Heins just took over. There's nothing further -- no July 2012 announcement from Heins about the delay, no bottoming out of the stock from last September, nothing on the sh!tty launch of the Z10, etc. All of that should be the climax of the story, and why there's now a well-founded death watch for BBRY.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4
    08-29-13 09:56 PM
    Trust me.
    I'll pass, thanks.

Saiga likes this.
    08-29-13 10:00 PM

Posted via CB10
    And that means what, exactly? The Verge may suck, but what you imply sucks too. More anti American horse manure!

"It doesn't mean that much to me to mean that much to you." On my Z10
    SK122387 likes this.
    08-29-13 10:07 PM
    And that means what, exactly? The Verge may suck, but what you imply sucks too. More anti American horse manure!

"It doesn't mean that much to me to mean that much to you." On my Z10
    I swear, some people think the American media has some top secret orders from the president to undermine BlackBerry at every turn.

Yeah, America HATES BlackBerry...so much, in fact, that the American government continues to deploy BlackBerrys at the highest levels, and continuously approves it for more uses.

Posted via CB10
    08-30-13 12:50 AM
    I swear, some people think the American media has some top secret orders from the president to undermine BlackBerry at every turn.

Yeah, America HATES BlackBerry...so much, in fact, that the American government continues to deploy BlackBerrys at the highest levels, and continuously approves it for more uses.

Posted via CB10
    Private companies could pay websites to slander BlackBerry without ever showing proof. OP was referring to the Verge not the country.

Posted via CB10
    08-30-13 06:29 AM
    Private companies could pay websites to slander BlackBerry without ever showing proof. OP was referring to the Verge not the country.

Posted via CB10
    Yes because private companies have a hole burning in their collective pockets.
    Your assertions are beyond silly.
    JeepBB and helio9965 like this.
    08-30-13 06:34 AM
    Verge is ****ttttttt :P

Posted via CB 10 on my BlackBerry Z10
    08-30-13 06:43 AM
    The Verge ? Bah !

Reviews:
    Apple Macbook: 9.X
    Lenovo Thinkpad: 7.X / 8.X

What ???? Apple Fan Site, IMHO
    08-30-13 06:51 AM

Posted via CB10
    Be realistic. That kind of thing implies a company sees BBRY as a serious and dire threat to its well-being. The only threat BBRY poses at this juncture is to the continued employment of a few thousand people in Waterloo and vicinity.

And the poster to whom you were referring was not the OP, but just another in a disturbingly long line of posters here who go beyond mere fanboyism to insulting the nationality -- and intelligence -- of others on CB.

I'd also add that it's all too obvious a number of posters in this thread didn't even bother to read the article.

helio9965 and Saiga like this.
    08-30-13 07:04 AM
    The Verge ? Bah !

Reviews:
    Apple Macbook: 9.X
    Lenovo Thinkpad: 7.X / 8.X

What ???? Apple Fan Site, IMHO
    I'd rate the MacBook Pro higher than any Window laptop as well. IMO Apple makes the best laptops on the market.

Yes The Verge has a Apple bias, but in general, MacBooks are rated very highly.
    08-30-13 07:07 AM
    The Verge generally does a decent job with their non-tech articles. I did find this article to be rather balanced for the most part: it lays out a very clear case for BlackBerry's current problems. Yes, the article does end with Thor coming in as CEO, but the full impact of that has yet to be decided: if the same article were to have been released before last quarter's numbers were released how much more positive would it have sounded?

The basic point of the article is solid: RIM grew too large to be able to react to new challenges in a fast manner so it became a reactive company instead of a proactive one: there was a client�le to keep happy. This can happen to any business, especially without new blood or voices coming into help drive it. BlackBerry built itself a culture that worked well for a small company, but poorly for a global company. Its current shrinking in headcount and global stature may kill it, but at the same time it may be the desperation of its situation that somehow allows it to thrive even if in a different space.
    Alphax45 and Alex_Hong like this.
    08-30-13 07:23 AM
    the proof is in the pudding, RIM not only dropped the ball, Apple and Google picked it up and ran with with it.

old article or not I didn't read anything that hasn't been seen in the real world.
    08-30-13 07:26 AM
    Trust me.

Posted via CB10
    No thanks.
    08-30-13 07:44 AM
    Be realistic. That kind of thing implies a company sees BBRY as a serious and dire threat to its well-being. The only threat BBRY poses at this juncture is to the continued employment of a few thousand people in Waterloo and vicinity, and to the sanity of some people here who are convinced there are anti BlackBerry conspiracies everywhere they look.

And the poster to whom you were referring was not the OP, but just another in a disturbingly long line of posters here who go beyond mere fanboyism to insulting the nationality -- and intelligence -- of others on CB.

I'd also add that it's all too obvious a number of posters in this thread didn't even bother to read the article.

Added to it
    08-30-13 07:45 AM
    The Verge generally does a decent job with their non-tech articles. I did find this article to be rather balanced for the most part: it lays out a very clear case for BlackBerry's current problems. Yes, the article does end with Thor coming in as CEO, but the full impact of that has yet to be decided: if the same article were to have been released before last quarter's numbers were released how much more positive would it have sounded?

The basic point of the article is solid: RIM grew too large to be able to react to new challenges in a fast manner so it became a reactive company instead of a proactive one: there was a client�le to keep happy. This can happen to any business, especially without new blood or voices coming into help drive it. BlackBerry built itself a culture that worked well for a small company, but poorly for a global company. Its current shrinking in headcount and global stature may kill it, but at the same time it may be the desperation of its situation that somehow allows it to thrive even if in a different space.
    if you read that article about how they worded Xiaomi as a "relatively unknown" Android brand... I think it just sums up either their idiocy, snobbish arrogance, or all combined, together with a really healthy sum of being a biased journalism/sensationalist tabloid
    08-30-13 07:57 AM
    I was pointing out that it's not a conspiracy against the government. I wasn't even stating that I think there's a conspiracy. And acting like a company needs holes to burn in their pockets for a conspiracy is ridiculous as well. Re: Enron

Posted via CB10
    08-30-13 08:26 AM
    Because corporate and government contracts aren't Samsung and Apple's last hurdle before they control every market?

Posted via CB10
    08-30-13 08:28 AM
    Because corporate and government contracts aren't Samsung and Apple's last hurdle before they control every market?

Posted via CB10
    Your talking about total domination.
    At 93% they already control the market and all the profits.
    Blackberry is no longer of any consequence to them.
    JeepBB likes this.
    08-30-13 08:33 AM
    Your talking about total domination.
    At 93% they already control the market and all the profits.
    Blackberry is no longer of any consequence to them.
    I didn't even want to start this conversation, but I think it's ludicrous to think there's no value for competitors to lock up the corporate and government communications sector. Even considering Samsung, Google and Apple have all spent considerable resources trying to crack it (seen by seome US government contracts). Or why there's been a tremendous growth in corporate IT services revolving around mobile technology. Once you sell them a phone, you can sell them a tablet, and a TV. And a computer monitor, etc. It's very naive to say BlackBerry is of no consequence to them when even as recently as last week Samsung put out an ad touting BBM, with the specific purpose of informing people they can switch over to Samsung. There is still room for BlackBerry to lose even more.

Posted via CB10
    08-30-13 08:39 AM
    Not to mention, if you control the market. The only way you can gain revenue is by either completely destroying the competition or getting your existing users to upgrade. Based on the S4 reception looks like getting 70m ppl from BlackBerry is easier than enticing existing user base to upgrade. Just saying.

Posted via CB10
    08-30-13 08:42 AM
51 123