Hi everyone, I have some questions to ask about traveling with a blackberry. I will be starting travel in the middle of February and planning to visit around 20-30 countries, including South Africa, South Korea, New Zealand, Thailand, India, Russia, Egypt, Argentina, Peru, Chile, Brazil, China, Japan, and Spain.

I am currently using a Moto Q from Verizon and have been planning to convert to a blackberry. The Moto Q is on it's dying days, so keeping this phone is not really an option unless I want to buy another one.

I'm looking for a phone that has:
    GPS (not required but very desired)
    ability to check different email (yahoo, hotmail, gmail, and a personal email server)
    camera (not required but very desired)

I would prefer to stay with Verizon if possible, but it doesn't have the curve yet so I'm considering moving to AT&T. If Verizon was coming out with the curve this month I would be much happier, but it doesn't seem like that will necessarily happen.

Looking at AT&T at the 8310 Curve, that seems like the phone that would have the most features that I need. However, I looked at their international website (wireless.att.com/international) and it seems that the AT&T curve won't work in South Korea. Is this really true? I'm surprised to hear this. Is there a list of other countries that the Curve won't work in? I'm worried that I will decide to visit other countries that it won't work in.

This makes me wonder if I should just stay with the Verizon 8830 and just live without the camera and picture messaging, because the 8830 has CDMA as well and so it will work fine in South Korea. Are there countries where the Verizon 8830 won't work either?

Have any of you guys done some serious international travel and have some experience with using your phone in multiple countries around the world?
    Last edited by pooger; 01-10-08 at 03:29 PM.
    01-10-08 03:23 PM
    Looks like you need to do some prioritizing! Verizon's 8830 is great but they disable GPS in favor of VZNavigator. VZNav only works in the US as far as I know.

Other than that and the camera issue I would go with the VZW 8830 if I were you. Just make sure you get it unlocked before you leave so you can pop in a different SIM card in each country you visit. That will save you a lot of money - at least on the local calls.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-10-08 03:29 PM
    Looks like you need to do some prioritizing! Verizon's 8830 is great but they disable GPS in favor of VZNavigator. VZNav only works in the US as far as I know.

Other than that and the camera issue I would go with the VZW 8830 if I were you. Just make sure you get it unlocked before you leave so you can pop in a different SIM card in each country you visit. That will save you a lot of money - at least on the local calls.

Oh wow, I didn't realize that Verizon limited the GPS to VZnav in the US only. I'm guessing they're going to do that to the curve when it comes to verizon as well. That sucks but it's a not a deal breaker. I didn't want to necessarily pay for VZnav.

What does it mean to get a phone "unlocked"? Is that a simple call to Verizon? If you could link me to a thread about it that would be very helpful. Thank you.

Update: I found another thread on this messageboard that deals with the unlocking thing so there's no need to address that question. Thanks!
    Last edited by pooger; 01-10-08 at 04:51 PM.
    01-10-08 03:40 PM
    Getting the 8830 on sprint would allow you to fully use the gps with something like google maps and they leave the sim slot unlocked already.

01-10-08 07:20 PM
    I have the VZW 8830 and LOVE it. I miss the camera and HATE VZNav but hey i guess i cant get everything If you contact your verizon rep they have a spreadsheet with the countries the phone works in, what type of services that are available and the cost per minute. I know they have it I got a copy.

have fun traveling!
    01-10-08 10:04 PM
    Keep in mind that when you unlock the phone (internationally) you won't be tied to VZW's locations and rates. That's the reason to get it unlocked. If you are in Italy with an Italian SIM card calling an Italian number you won't pay international rates. Thus the beauty of the 8830!

01-11-08 03:38 PM
    is there a reason you prefer to continue paying for verizon service when you will be out of the country for a year? i suppose the benefit would be that you would keep your number. i do believe though, that if you use your number internationally for more than 50% of any given 12 month period, they do have the right to cancel your contract for being outside of the ToS. This is something you may want to clear with them if you do want to keep the number. Other than that, its generally cheaper to make local calls over seas by using a SIM from that given region/country.
    01-11-08 05:06 PM
    Keep in mind that when you unlock the phone (internationally) you won't be tied to VZW's locations and rates. That's the reason to get it unlocked. If you are in Italy with an Italian SIM card calling an Italian number you won't pay international rates. Thus the beauty of the 8830!

I decided to go with the 8830 from verizon. I'm actually using it now to post here. it took me like 2 hours to figure out how to login to this webpage.

So anyway, I went to a store to get it and they told me the phone comes unlocked automatically now although I haven't actually tested it out yet.

Thanks for the tips on unlocking.
    01-11-08 08:12 PM
    is there a reason you prefer to continue paying for verizon service when you will be out of the country for a year? i suppose the benefit would be that you would keep your number. i do believe though, that if you use your number internationally for more than 50% of any given 12 month period, they do have the right to cancel your contract for being outside of the ToS. This is something you may want to clear with them if you do want to keep the number. Other than that, its generally cheaper to make local calls over seas by using a SIM from that given region/country.
    I'm going to use it to keep in contact with people back home and for emergency reasons. Also to keep the phone number too. I've had the same phone number for like 10 years.

I guess it's not going to be very cost effective but that's ok.
    01-11-08 08:17 PM
    i would check your terms and conditions just so there are no suprises. *usually* you have to use 50% of the time inside the coverage area, again this is *usually*
    01-11-08 08:27 PM
    Like 5th said, check those T&C's, especially with VZW. Most carriers have a clause about time in your home market.

01-12-08 06:56 AM
    Test to see if its unlocked,when it comes to VZW,id be very surprised it came unlocked,verizon is very stingy when giving unlock codes for the 8830 because they rather you use their overpriced global sim card plan,if it is unlocked,consider yourself lucky.
    01-12-08 07:45 AM
    Neither the Verizon or AT&T will allow you to use you BB in South Korea OR Japan for that matter. They don't use CDMA. You need a phone with WCDMA or UMTS 2100 to roam there and the Blackberry doesn't have it unless you buy an older 8707 which was made for those markets. The new rumored 8xxx is supposed to have 3G with a 2100 band as well but who knows when that will surface. The only phones that I know of that will work in those 2 markets are the Treo 750 and Tilt from AT&T - but not the Curve (sorry).
    01-12-08 06:43 PM
    Neither the Verizon or AT&T will allow you to use you BB in South Korea OR Japan for that matter. They don't use CDMA. You need a phone with WCDMA or UMTS 2100 to roam there and the Blackberry doesn't have it unless you buy an older 8707 which was made for those markets. The new rumored 8xxx is supposed to have 3G with a 2100 band as well but who knows when that will surface. The only phones that I know of that will work in those 2 markets are the Treo 750 and Tilt from AT&T - but not the Curve (sorry).
    Really? I've had multiple Verizon people tell me this 8830 will work fine in Korea. Their web page also says that it will work as well. Are you sure about this?

They did tell me that Japan wouldn't work because Japan uses their own system completely different from the rest of the world.
    01-12-08 06:46 PM
    In the past it was possible apparently to have a software update on a Verizon CDMA to work in S. Korea (according to their website) so it is quite possible they have added that into the 8830. I know that the only way I was able to use my phone there was when I had a UMTS 2100. That wasn't however with Verizon so I won't argue. Just make sure you check multiple sources because I have been told some pretty crazy things by cell phone salespeople.
    01-13-08 05:57 PM
    My friend who works at the Verizon call center has told me that the older blackberries sometimes needed updates to work in Korea, but the 8830 works automatically without any updated required.

I still need to ask them if there's a minimum amount I need to use the phone in my home market.
    01-16-08 04:41 PM
    So I'm looking to use my BB 8830 as my media player while I'm on the road (music while on the plane mostly).

I just bought a 4gb micro SD card yesterday because I know the 6gb or 8gb ones aren't working with the BB OS 4.2.2.179 and I don't know when they plan on updating the OS.

When I went into the VZ store though, they told me that they were all out of the 4gb retail memory card packages, so they gave me this out of box 4gb micro sd card that they say had never been used plus a free set of bluetooth headsets. They gave it to me for $80. The memory card alone would have been $60.

Here's the link to the headsets I apparently got:
    LG Chocolate™ in Blue Ice LG Bluetooth Stereo Headset from Verizon Wireless

The headphones are normally $79.99 alone so I think I got a good deal if I wanted the headphones, but I don't think I do. The earbuds are pretty big on this headset and I think I'd like to look for something smaller. I'm going to head down to Fry's to see if they have the motorola S9 because that headset looks smaller.

I'm also going to be carrying one of these just in case I am not able to charge the bluetooth headsets in time when I need a headset to use the phone. FRYS.com|Headset (2.5mm Standard)

The size of everything is very important to me because I want to be traveling as light as possible and with as little luggage as possible. Anyone have any thoughts?
    Last edited by pooger; 01-16-08 at 05:00 PM.
    01-16-08 04:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD