Before I give up and just "live" with it I wanted to make sure I understood things correctly.

I'm using GMail right now. What I am seeing is that messages are NEVER deleted from my Blackberry unless I delete them on the device myself.

If I delete a message on the Blackberry it does get deleted on my computer's inbox but the reverse is not occurring.

Is this what most people are seeing? I've seen a few posts where people have reported 2-way syncing but it seems to be hit or miss and it also seems like it takes a very long time for messages to get deleted.

I've double checked all my settings on both the device and the BIS client and things appear to be in order.

BIS client - I have the box checked for Synchronize deleted items between this mailbox and my device. I'm using the POP3 GMail server in the BIS settings (although I use IMAP on my computer. I found the IMAP BIS "hack" took too long getting my messages to the device.)

Device - I have "Delete On" set to Mailbox and Handheld, "Wireless Reconcile Set" to On and "On Conflicts" set to Mailbox Wins.
    03-13-08 04:00 PM
    Yes, you got it correct. Thats POP3 in all its glory as opposed to IMAP, which would do what you want.
    03-13-08 04:03 PM
    Yes, you got it correct. Thats POP3 in all its glory as opposed to IMAP, which would do what you want.
    That's the way IMAP should work but it does not. I sent myself an email to my gmail account. I received notification on my Pearl instantly that I had an unread message. I opened up gmail on my computer and deleted the email. It still shows up on my phone as an unread email.

Ideally, when I delete something from gmail, it should delete it from the phone as well. But these blackberrys don't do IMAP. The BIS server does all of that.

Don't get me wrong, I would be absolutely delighted if someone could show me how to get my gmail inbox to REALLY sync with my BB.
    03-16-08 02:15 AM
    Yep that's my problem.

I really don't enjoy deleting every single message on my BB regardless if I've already read it on my computer and deleted it or not.
    03-16-08 05:55 AM
    So going to messages, hitting T, menu, delete prior, is too much?
    03-16-08 06:36 AM
    No need to get snippy about it, the OP has a valid question about something that doesn't seem to work as expected.

My gmail IMAP connection has been pretty consistently good, up until the past 2 days. But, all my connections have been hosed since Friday when I added a 4th email account. Something strange happened during that process, such that I think I need to delete and re-create all my email settings to make sure everything is OK.
    03-16-08 11:14 AM
    So going to messages, hitting T, menu, delete prior, is too much?
    Yeah, that's it, it's too much work.

That's not the way it's supposed to work. What if we don't want to delete all prior but just one or two over the last couple of weeks. Please don't imply that people are too lazy or too inept to consistently use a work around or less efficient method of doing something because the correct way is broken.

Last night, I sent an email to myself which I deleted from my gmail account via the web. In the morning, the message was no longer on my BlackBerry. I just sent myself 2 more emails which I deleted and I'll see what happens. Perhaps it does sync but it's not instant like when you delete from the handheld.
    03-16-08 11:32 AM
    Delegator, does your gmail and BB sync as expected using IMAP? If you delete something in your gmail account, will the email also be deleted in your BB?
    03-16-08 11:33 AM
    On mine, i have it setup the same way, and when i delete a message in my gmail inbox, it deletes on my BB...... sometimes. lol

But it won't ever mark it as read, either way. Hopefully, in the future, this will be addressed, but i guess we just gotta "deal" with it now, as i see no other way around it. If anyone figures out a better way, please, post it up, cause i have run out of options!
    03-16-08 12:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD