In addiction to my work email (which is working fine under BES) I have a gmail account that is pushed to the phone over BIS. Until the past few days messages deleted on the phone were deleted from gmail reliably. Emails deleted from gmail eventually were removed from the phone.

Now, there is no reconciliation whatsoever. I have deleted messages on the phone that remained on gmail for days. I have double-checked that my gmail account on BIS is set to reconcile deleted messages and it is. E account is set up as a standard gmail account on BIS.

Has anyone run into this? If so, how was it resolved?
    06-02-11 05:45 PM
    I do not have BES, but I have a gmail account in BIS. My reconciliation has become buggy the past couple days. Deleted emails are returning repeatedly. I have not changed any of the IMAP settings or labels in gmail. I've already deleted the gmail account from BIS and readded it.
    06-03-11 10:44 AM
    Gtalk was having trouble connecting today, not sure if it's related.
    06-03-11 01:43 PM
    Apps Status Dashboard on Google is not reporting anything. Might be BIS related....

Apps Status Dashboard
    06-03-11 01:50 PM
    I posted on Gmail's forums and have not seen a resolution there either. Apparently, other people are having an issue and also posted there.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-03-11 05:35 PM
    I wonder if this has anything to do with it:

Google Apps is moving on, you'll need an HTML5 browser to go with it -- Engadget

06-04-11 03:08 AM
    I did not change anything and got the standard responses on Gmail's help forums (delete and add in BIS, make sure "drafts" and "all mail" are checked to show in IMAP, make sure email reconciliation on device shows delete on prompt or delete on mailbox and handheld, send service books). Of course, I had already done all of that.

With no changes on my end in Gmail settings or on my device, I am now able to delete emails on my device and they delete in Gmail once again.

I never found out what was the cause of the bug, but it is working again now, after not working since Monday.
    06-04-11 05:19 PM
    It's still not working for me. I jumped through the standard hoops (deleting and re-adding the account, etc.), but to no avail. Whatever version of BIS AT&T is using must be broken. BES reconciliation with our exchange server is instantaneous. It's hard to fathom why this is such a challenge for them.
    06-06-11 12:47 PM
    I have similar problems on my Curve since last 5 days.. have posted it to the Vodafone helpdesk however they have not been able to resolve it yet.

Emails I read or delete on my device do not get updated / deleted on the gmail server. The same emails keep getting downloaded onto my device.

Any help is really appreciated.

Thanks
    Rahul
    06-07-11 01:41 AM
    I just posted the following information to a parallel thread on the gmail POP/IMAP forum. I don't know whether to mark this as "solved" or not, because it is a workaround and because it breaks the native contacts and calendar sync. Anyway, here goes.

I fixed it by using an old workaround. Back in the day I found that gmail worked better as a generic imap server than using the standard gmail setup in BIS. At some point I began using the default setup to get two-way reconciliation (which didn't work well) and stuck with it until tonight. I went back to the generic imap setup and everything that I need works perfectly. I don't use gmail's contacts or calendar because I'm already connected to an Exchange server over BES, so for anyone needing calendar or contacts sync with gmail, this will break that. The google sync application would be needed in that case. Anyway, the workaround:

1. Log into BIS using your computer web browser. AT&T's is https://att.blackberry.com/
    2. Delete the gmail account.
    3. Add a new account.
    4. When it asks you for the email address of your account, give it a wrong domain such as thisdoesntwork.com
    5. BIS will try to connect to the server and choke. On the ensuing screen look for an underlined hyperlink that says "provide additional settings." Press that.
    6. That will give you the standard imap setup screen. Give it your real email address, tell it the server is "imap.gmail.com", give it your login (I include the "gmail.com"), and the password and push next. It should authenticate against gmail's imap server and set up. Edit the settings to specify your real name and signature and you're set.

I tested it by sending a series of emails to my gmail account from my office account. The first I deleted from the BlackBerry and checked to see if it deleted from the gmail inbox. It did. The next email I read on the BlackBerry, checked on gmail to see if the "read" status propogated back to the server and found it did nearly instantly. I then deleted it from gmail and waited a bit to see if it deleted from the BlackBerry. After a few seconds but not instantly, it deleted from the BlackBerry. The next I read on gmail and checked to see if the "read" status had propogated to the BlackBerry. After a few seconds it did.

This is not for everyone, but I'm a happy camper.

Caveat: the workaround does not work using the setup utility on the BlackBerry. Giving it the fake address just causes it to demand that you give it the correct address or cancel.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-08-11 11:07 PM
    Maybe you need to reconcile with your email provider.
    06-09-11 11:20 AM
    I just posted the following information to a parallel thread on the gmail POP/IMAP forum. I don't know whether to mark this as "solved" or not, because it is a workaround and because it breaks the native contacts and calendar sync. Anyway, here goes.

I fixed it by using an old workaround. Back in the day I found that gmail worked better as a generic imap server than using the standard gmail setup in BIS. At some point I began using the default setup to get two-way reconciliation (which didn't work well) and stuck with it until tonight. I went back to the generic imap setup and everything that I need works perfectly. I don't use gmail's contacts or calendar because I'm already connected to an Exchange server over BES, so for anyone needing calendar or contacts sync with gmail, this will break that. The google sync application would be needed in that case. Anyway, the workaround:

1. Log into BIS using your computer web browser. AT&T's is https://att.blackberry.com/
    2. Delete the gmail account.
    3. Add a new account.
    4. When it asks you for the email address of your account, give it a wrong domain such as thisdoesntwork.com
    5. BIS will try to connect to the server and choke. On the ensuing screen look for an underlined hyperlink that says "provide additional settings." Press that.
    6. That will give you the standard imap setup screen. Give it your real email address, tell it the server is "imap.gmail.com", give it your login (I include the "gmail.com"), and the password and push next. It should authenticate against gmail's imap server and set up. Edit the settings to specify your real name and signature and you're set.

I tested it by sending a series of emails to my gmail account from my office account. The first I deleted from the BlackBerry and checked to see if it deleted from the gmail inbox. It did. The next email I read on the BlackBerry, checked on gmail to see if the "read" status propogated back to the server and found it did nearly instantly. I then deleted it from gmail and waited a bit to see if it deleted from the BlackBerry. After a few seconds but not instantly, it deleted from the BlackBerry. The next I read on gmail and checked to see if the "read" status had propogated to the BlackBerry. After a few seconds it did.

This is not for everyone, but I'm a happy camper.

Caveat: the workaround does not work using the setup utility on the BlackBerry. Giving it the fake address just causes it to demand that you give it the correct address or cancel.
    This does work. I do not use Gmail contacts/calendar sync, since I use Outlook, so this works for me.
    06-09-11 11:32 AM
    I have to correct one claim. Though my initial testing showed read and deleted status being pushed to the BlackBerry, the BlackBerry gods frowned on it. Reading and deleting on the BlackBerry still propogates to gmail but not the other way around.

I wonder if Google is breaking this because they want to convince people to switch from their BlackBerrys to Android devices?
    06-09-11 11:37 AM
    I wonder if Google is breaking this because they want to convince people to switch from their BlackBerrys to Android devices?
    If so, I'll drop Google like a used condom.

06-09-11 12:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD