is anyone else having this problem?? AT&T tried telling me that it's an issue they're having, but i have several other friends w/ gmail accounts on their phones & they aren't having this problem. i'm sooo sick of it that i'm about ready to change carriers. any help to solve this issue would be greatly appreciated. thank you!
    03-05-09 09:23 AM
    have you followed the instructions in setting up Gmail correctly? I have included link below. Delete and add your gmail account following the instructions below and see what happens.

The problem I'm having is mail email been delayed. I didn't realize BIS only fetches your email every 15 minutes or so. I was under the impression it was instant push mail. To get push mail, you unfortunately have to use the blackberry.net email address (or forward your emails to it).
    Are there any other alternatives to getting true push email?

I guess I cannot post a link yet. do a google search for 'blackberry gmail' and follow the instructions.
    03-05-09 11:34 AM
    [html]
    have you followed the instructions in setting up Gmail correctly? I have included link below. Delete and add your gmail account following the instructions below and see what happens.
    [/html]

i followed these instructions that i found after posting my question.

kingakuma posted this in another thread. (i'd put a link to it here if i could figure out how!):

To configure IMAP access for your BlackBerry, just follow these steps:

1. Enable IMAP in your Gmail settings.
    2. From your BlackBerry home screen, select the BlackBerry Set-up icon, then choose Personal Email Set-up. (On older devices, just look for the Personal Email Set-up icon.)
    3. Select Personal Email Set-up.
    4. Accept Terms and Conditions.
    5. On the 'Email Account Set-up' page, enter your full email address (including '@gmail.com' or '@your_domain.com') but leave the 'Password:' field blank. Select Next.
    6. You'll see a screen that says 'We were unable to configure [[email protected]].' Select I will provide the settings to add this email account, then Next.
    7. Select Internet Service Provider Email (POP/IMAP), then Next.
    8. Select I will provide the settings to add this email account, then Next.
    9. You'll see 'The BlackBerry Internet Service could not configure [[email protected]] email account.' Select Provide The Settings to continue.
    10. In the 'User name:' field, enter your full email address (including '@gmail.com'). Google Apps users, please enter your full email address at your domain. Then enter your password in the 'Password:' field.
    11. In the 'Email server:' field, enter 'imap.gmail.com,' then select Next. Google Apps users should enter the server name provided; don't add your domain name in this step.
    12. If IMAP access was successfully configured, select OK.
    13. Below your newly added Gmail address, select Edit.
    14. Select Advanced Settings at the bottom.
    15. Make sure the port is set to '993' and 'Use SSL' is set to 'Yes.'
    16. Select Save.

There should now be a new mailbox icon on your BlackBerry home screen labeled with your Gmail address. Once you see this icon, follow these steps to ensure proper configuration:

1. Open the mailbox icon.
    2. Open the menu by pressing the jog wheel or BlackBerry menu button, then select Options.
    3. Select Email Reconciliation.
    4. Confirm the following settings:
    * Delete On: Mailbox & Handheld
    * Wireless Reconcile: On
    * On Conflicts: Mailbox Wins
    5. Select Save.
    6. Check our recommended client settings, and adjust your client's settings as needed.

as best i can tell, so far this has "fixed" the problem. i'm gonna keep my fingers & toes crossed that it doesn't mess up again! this is maddening - as is going to the freakin AT&T stores for "help" on these issues!!!

The problem I'm having is mail email been delayed. I didn't realize BIS only fetches your email every 15 minutes or so. I was under the impression it was instant push mail. To get push mail, you unfortunately have to use the blackberry.net email address (or forward your emails to it).
    stupid question - what's "BIS" stand for - i'm guessing "Blackberry Internet Service"? i don't think i've configured or set up a blackberry.net email addy. i hadn't planned on setting one up, but if that ends up being the solution, then i guess i will. i'm all for getting "true push email" as you sd!

I guess I cannot post a link yet. do a google search for 'blackberry gmail' and follow the instructions.
    i'm betting the directions i copied & pasted above that kingakuma posted in another thread are what you had in mind when you sd "do a google search for 'blackberry gmail'" b/c what he posted is what i found at the following link:

[[well screw it - just got notification i've gotta have 10 or more posts to post a link.]]

btw - i don't know HOW to get my "quotes" to look like everyone else's on here. everytime i do one it looks squirrelly (sp?) & i've tried everything i can think of to make it look right.
    03-05-09 11:53 AM

First, with respect to this quote, there have been quite a few problems lately with gmail IMAP not delivering messages promptly, and there are a vast majority of people who use IMAP with gmail to recieve their mail who are used to a 10-20 min delay in recieving their messages. The easiest way to setup gmail to recieve messages instantly is by using POP instead of IMAP. It will not show as read in your inbox if you view it on your bb, but you can delete between your bb and the inbox. I used to use IMAP, but have since switched back to POP because of the delay.

Check your settings under gmail, that should point you in a direction here, also, try resending your service books.
    03-05-09 01:27 PM
    ...The easiest way to setup gmail to recieve messages instantly is by using POP instead of IMAP. It will not show as read in your inbox if you view it on your bb, but you can delete between your bb and the inbox. I used to use IMAP, but have since switched back to POP because of the delay.

Check your settings under gmail, that should point you in a direction here, also, try resending your service books.
    okay. i'm telling it to "Enable POP for mail that arrives from now on". do i need to click on "disable IMAP"? i resent my service books from the ATT BB site earlier but i'll do it again.
    03-05-09 01:35 PM
    okay - i've enabled POP & disabled IMAP & resent my service books. still have't gotten the msgs i sent earlier.
    03-05-09 01:56 PM
    I'm pretty sure you won't receive old msgs, only new ones.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-05-09 02:02 PM
    I'm pretty sure you won't receive old msgs, only new ones.
    that makes sense. i'm still not rec'g msgs i just sent.
    03-05-09 02:11 PM
    I use Google Applications for my company's domain and currently have 3 Google Apps e-mails setup as well as 1 Gmail setup on my phone. I only use IMAP (though POP may be enabled) and I've always had e-mail instantly pushed to my device. So no problems here.
    03-05-09 02:14 PM
    I use Google Applications for my company's domain and currently have 3 Google Apps e-mails setup as well as 1 Gmail setup on my phone. I only use IMAP (though POP may be enabled) and I've always had e-mail instantly pushed to my device. So no problems here.
    when you say you currently have "3 Google Apps e-mails" you mean you have 3 gmail addys setup on your phone, or 4 w/ the gmail setup? ... and they all 4 work w/ not problems -- you get emails instantly??
    03-05-09 02:35 PM
    when you say you currently have "3 Google Apps e-mails" you mean you have 3 gmail addys setup on your phone, or 4 w/ the gmail setup? ... and they all 4 work w/ not problems -- you get emails instantly??
    Basically Google Applications allows you to hook up a domain name with Gmail. So I technically have 4 Gmail accounts but 3 of them are with a different domain name (@OurCompany.com).

Everything gets pushed instantly to my phone.

I checked the settings on my Gmail account and I have POP and IMAP enabled. I cannot check the settings on our Google Apps accounts but I know IMAP is at least enabled.

I setup all of my e-mails through my BlackBerry Bold's E-Mail Setup Application (which goes through AT&T's BlackBerry Site).

I've done quite a few tests and was surprised how well the push e-mail worked. I always get everything instantly. My Fiancee also has a BlackBerry (the 8800) but that's through T-Mobile. She has the same type of setup I have and hers also get pushed immediately.

I believe if you have it setup as POP, your carrier will only check it every X minutes but if you have it setup as IMAP your carrier can keep a constant connection to it and get the e-mail instantly (this is why I get all of my e-mails instantly in Outlook; it keeps a constant connection with Google).

Hope that helps.
    03-05-09 03:02 PM
    kasracer, yes, that all makes complete sense. thank you!! it's looking like i'm just one very unlucky person when it comes to having issues w/ this mess.
    03-05-09 03:04 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD