I just downloaded the Gmail app to use it for my account - it is much better than BB's email client. I even can live with the 15-20 minutes delay in message receiving.
    But what really makes the app almost useless, is that once i have a new email, i dont have the notification icon on the home screen (small orange envelope as for BB client mail).
    So when my BB is locked and i push the track ball to see if i missed something - i cant see if i have a new Gmail mail..
    Maybe someone knows is there a way to get this indicator for Gmail app somehow?
    05-01-09 06:42 PM
    Welcome to the CrackBerry forum geewhizz586,
    I use gmail too, for the icon indication i don't think it's possible to do.
    But you can use sound or vibration alerts under profiles - advanced.
    05-01-09 06:57 PM
    The Gmail application icon displays the new message indicator. If you keep your Gmail application icon positioned where you can see it, you'll see the new message indicator.
    05-01-09 09:02 PM
    Yes i can see notifications on the Gmail icon.
    But when my BB keyboard is locked and i press the trackball (without unlocking keyboard, just to check if i missed something incoming) i see only wallpaper and the icons on the top of the screen but not menu...
    And this way i dont see whether i have new messages in Gmail..
    05-01-09 10:02 PM
    My 8310 used to show an icon next to the sms and bbm thingys at the top of the screen when I got a new message.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-01-09 11:47 PM
    Things like that are why I feel the BlackBerry push email client is superior to the gmail app. every thing is integrated nicely!

FyrGuy176
    05-02-09 11:23 AM
    Yes i can see notifications on the Gmail icon.
    But when my BB keyboard is locked and i press the trackball (without unlocking keyboard, just to check if i missed something incoming) i see only wallpaper and the icons on the top of the screen but not menu...
    And this way i dont see whether i have new messages in Gmail..
    Try using Standby instead of Lock. It's a lot easier to use and will let you tap a button to see the icon. I always found it cumbersome to unlock the keypad--it's much easier for me to tap the mute button to bring it our of Standby.
    05-02-09 12:59 PM
    Try using Standby instead of Lock. It's a lot easier to use and will let you tap a button to see the icon. I always found it cumbersome to unlock the keypad--it's much easier for me to tap the mute button to bring it our of Standby.
    Yes this actually helps! Its easier than locking/unlocking keypad all the time!
    Thank you very much for for the tip!
    I am new with bb and dont know many simple things yet)
    05-03-09 10:23 AM
    Yes this actually helps! Its easier than locking/unlocking keypad all the time!
    Thank you very much for for the tip!
    I am new with bb and dont know many simple things yet)
    Glad that helped.
    05-03-09 06:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD