I posted this same question on Google's Help Forum, probably wont get an answer though from anyone credible, so I'll copy/paste the same thing here....

I wont say their name, but a Google competitor that rhymes with the word Yaploo makes their email accounts work flawlessly with Blackberries. Two way sync, and its not even IMAP. If you read an email on the computer, it marks as read on your device and of course vice versa. Google's version of IMAP is like a severely crippled version of this, why? Is the problem on RIM's side or Google's?

Heres whats known with gmail IMAP setup through BB BIS.

- If you read/delete an email on your device, it reflects on the server.
    - Reading a message on the computer does not reflect as read on your device.
    - If you delete/archive a message on the computer, it will come off your BB after a matter of sometimes hours, but sometimes as "quickly" as 15-30 minutes.

RIM plans to release BIS 2.6 I know, but it does not fix any of these issues. From what they've said, it will fix the sent email being sent to yourself issue, and it will automatically configure IMAP instead of POP when setting up an email account. Any answers are greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by ls1norcal; 03-02-09 at 05:38 PM.
    03-02-09 05:19 PM
    I posted this same question on Google's Help Forum, probably wont get an answer though from anyone credible, so I'll copy/paste the same thing here....

I wont say their name, but a Google competitor that rhymes with the word Yaploo makes their email accounts work flawlessly with Blackberries. Two way sync, and its not even IMAP. If you read an email on the computer, it marks as read on your device and of course vice versa. Google's version of IMAP is like a severely crippled version of this, why? Is the problem on RIM's side or Google's?

Heres whats known with gmail IMAP setup through BB BIS.

- If you read/delete an email on your device, it reflects on the server.
    - Vice versa has NO effect on your BB.
    - If you delete/archive a message on the computer, it will come off your BB after a matter of sometimes hours, but sometimes as "quickly" as 15-30 minutes.

RIM plans to release BIS 2.6 I know, but it does not fix any of these issues. From what they've said, it will fix the sent email being sent to yourself issue, and it will automatically configure IMAP instead of POP when setting up an email account. Any answers are greatly appreciated!
    Your second and third points are contradictary, other than the read status comment. You need to remove the second point, because the third point is correct.

If you follow the Gmail IMAP instructions, you won't receive a copy of your sent email. There is no need to set up a goofy filter.

Yes, from what I hear Yahoo IMAP works better than Gmail IMAP with your BB, but it isn't enough in my opinion to jump. Yahoo, for example, does not offer an equivelant Google Apps service where you can use your own domain name to send and receive email with their servers like Google has. I could be wrong, but last time I checked- this was the case. I also don't like the Yahoo web interface from the PC compared to Gmail's, and it just seems like Yahoo is always trying to play catch up with Google as far as storage space, features, etc. I like Google, and I like their other products. Yahoo, not so much...
    03-02-09 05:30 PM
    Your second and third points are contradictary, other than the read status comment. You need to remove the second point, because the third point is correct.
    I changed it to be more clear. However, I view the third point as almost useless anyways, because the entire reason for this being an issue is having your light blink, or the icon staying there saying you have an unread message when in fact you do not. The fact that it will eventually come off my BB if I read it on the server does nothing for me.
    03-02-09 05:42 PM
    Hopefully they can fix all the problems with the Gmail IMAP. I have since switched back to POP until the bugs do get sorted out!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-02-09 06:10 PM
    I dont get it? If you dont like Gmail then dont use it...use yahoo. Gmail works perfect for me both ways with IMAP and less than 2 minute delay. Used to use yahoo a year ago but havent recently. I will have to look into this again. This is not RIM issue.
    03-02-09 07:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD