Hi folks... got a spare Torch 9860, so was thinking of unlocking it and buying a global SIM. Has anyone got any trusted suggestions of where to buy a SIM ? I have a great deal on BB email and web worldwide from TMobile, but making and receiving calls abroad can be a killer.

We went with a SIM from Seven Telecom - but I really suggest DO NOT go with them, full of catches and things they don't tell you about (like you can't call and text from the same number!!?? you are given two different numbers - ie stupid and useless, so got our money back and ditched them).

I've read up and spoken to many of the global SIM companies now, and many of them simply can't give straight answers to simple questions and none of the main UK providers (O2, TMobile, Vodaphone etc) for obvious reasons don't do global SIMs!

So any suggestions anyone?
    10-20-12 07:01 AM
    blimey, no suggestions... guess no one uses global SIMs and you're all paying far too much for your overseas calls...

)
    10-21-12 03:07 PM
    Doesn't Orange offer UMA? It's a brilliant feature for overseas trips, and you get billed at regular rates. The only disadvantage is that it's a WiFi dependent feature, so outside areas with WiFi, you're basically sans coverage.

One more thing though: I'm not sure if the 9860 is natively hardware capable of UMA, or if Orange supports software based WiFi calling on this device. But that's for you to research in your phone's manual or the 9860 sub-forum.
    10-22-12 09:10 AM
    Just pick up a sim card wherever you are going. Way cheaper. I'm heading to India this week and that's what I'll be doing. I expect to pay about $10 for my 3-4 weeks.
    10-22-12 12:10 PM
    no, we're hopping around the world all the time, sometimes for just 2 days. so constantly picking up local SIMs would be a nightmare - yes, we have done this for 2 week or 3 week trips but that's not usually the case.
    10-22-12 12:21 PM
    Just get a SIM where you are going. I have had four different SIM cards this year. Still cheaper then roaming or buying a roaming SIM. Im going to Germany on Friday and I will be buying a SIM card there too.
    10-22-12 01:15 PM
    no, we're hopping around the world all the time, sometimes for just 2 days. so constantly picking up local SIMs would be a nightmare - yes, we have done this for 2 week or 3 week trips but that's not usually the case.
    If its just for two days ask yourself if you really need it that bad
    10-22-12 01:16 PM
    Yeah, I usually ended up getting local SIM instead. Didn't know there's such a thing as a global SIM. Then again, I don't travel as much in comparison to some people here.
    10-22-12 01:33 PM
    we can end up making A LOT of calls in those couple of days in each country... also local SIMs mean multiple numbers!
    10-22-12 04:03 PM
    I would recommend a GO-SIM international SIM card. You get a UK and US number, call rates around Europe are pretty good and the credit doesn't expire as long as you use the SIM or top-up once every six months. One issue though - I hear that they are incompatible with Blackberry's email system, so that might not be the best solution. Still, if you're just making calls, it might be what you're looking for.
    10-23-12 10:45 AM
    Cheers NB73. Was actually already about to go with them, then they dropped THE clanger... THE catch... their low cost rates are ONLY during weekdays, they are way more expensive at weekends than normal roaming rates with other carriers. We mostly travel weekends for work - ahhh the festival and nightclub industry! So Go-Sim are not the answer either... email is fine, as I collect that on my other phone.

Global SIMs are a pretty new industry, and I've just about researched the lot of them now - ALL of them have catches and half of them are not quite what they say they are. It's all a big con really, and not suitable for actual work travelling folks - it's really for people going to 1 or 2 countries only for long periods of time, who only call during the week!
    10-25-12 04:48 PM
    Maybe is this site something for u, Global Roaming Sim. they have a globalroaming sim card, and they have in almost all country the same rate. maybe to check it out.
    11-09-12 10:45 AM
    I've used matrix for Asia roaming, I believe it works in other countries as well and it also supports the major carriers. I had taken it to Dubai and it roamed me on etisalat.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 on 7.1.0.714 with Tapatalk and my fingers
    11-19-12 04:21 AM