I understand and respect your opinion. If you consider actual number of subscribers, BBM is behind of a few competitors. I don't care about the others. In my opinion, the real competitor is Whatsapp. Comparing BBM to this app, I can see bbm getting stronger in every update because of the structure BBM has and the legacy of the app. Not saying what's gonna happen. BBM can become number one or not, both chances are possible, but i definitely see a chance in the long run.

Posted via awesome BlackBerry Z10!
    12-23-13 08:44 AM
    And because of that Hacking Germany switched TO BlackBerry because they believe it to be more secure

Posted via CB10
    Secure in the way that if a device is lost and device encryption is set, the contents are probably safe from recovery if good pass phrases were chosen.

I think it's important to have a realistic view of the level of security each system provides and what the abilities of your adversary are. If you are important enough to warrant focused NSA attention, they will probably be able to tap your communication unless extraordinary precautions are taken. They could, for example, watch for when you order a new cellphone online, intercept the order and modify your phone before it ever reaches you. No additional security you could add on could overcome that.

Even with NSA level resources, they can't do that to very many people and almost certainly no one going about their day to day lives is going to warrant that level of attention.

What most people really have to worry about would be snooping by ISP or bored google (or apple or MS or even blackberry) employees, snooping by a spouse or friends, snooping by criminals or recovery of a lost device by criminals. Also dragnet-level snooping by NSA or other national level intelligence agencies.

You can protect yourself from NSA dragnet level snooping which will also protect you from all of the other concerns as well. If you set as your goal to be safe from that the question then becomes which IM systems are probably vulnerable?

BlackBerry Messenger is, probably, because the cryptographic keys are known to the NSA and even if SSL is used on top of that, it's at least fairly possible that NSA has broken RC4 and it's unclear what certificate verification BlackBerry Messenger uses and if it would be subject to man in the middle attacks. (Generally I think it's a good idea to not consider SSL as adding any security at all from NSA organizations at them moment).

Whatsapp is also probably vulnerable.

kik used to be so vulnerable that it should be considered as readable by anyone on your local network, anyone at any ISP between you and your communication endpoint, and moreover your credentials could easily be captured. It is supposedly better now but I don't know by how much.

Threema and Wickr say all the right things. Keys are exchanged securely, strong ciphers are used (xsalsa20 and aes), and the message keys are used only one time for each message. Still, neither has made the code available for audit so it is possible that there is a flaw which downgrades security but if you had to bet you should put your money on one of those two over kik or whatsapp or BlackBerry Messenger.

Hangouts isn't secure because the messages are stored in plaintext form at google. Same for Facebook messenger.
    Davidro1 likes this.
    12-23-13 11:58 AM
    When will they implement time stamps in BBM?

Z10STL100-1/10.2.0.1803 Comedy Worldwide: C004B640F My Photography: C0036A019
    12-28-13 04:36 AM
    If you are important enough to warrant focused NSA attention, they will probably be able to tap your communication unless extraordinary precautions are taken. They could, for example, watch for when you order a new cellphone online, intercept the order and modify your phone before it ever reaches you. No additional security you could add on could overcome that.

Even with NSA level resources, they can't do that to very many people and almost certainly no one going about their day to day lives is going to warrant that level of attention.
    Thanks to Snowden we know they have already done that, & not just to terrorists or criminals but people who were critical of the government.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-13 03:48 PM
    This is true. In other hand, it takes more steps to do everything else in Whatsapp like attach a file. With one click in bbm, you have access to voice, attachments, glympse, etc...

That 1 extra step gives you a LOT more power/options. Besides, it's not a person will be switching back & forth from txt to voice notes.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-13 03:50 PM
    Thanks to Snowden we know they have already done that, & not just to terrorists or criminals but people who were critical of the government.

Posted via CB10
    I've been reading the source documents as they've been released. I must have missed that - can you provide a link to a source Snowden document indicating that Americans critical of the government have been targeted and collected against? Just to catch me up.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    CerveloJohn likes this.
    12-28-13 03:50 PM
    Find a girl that has BBM. Make your life simple.
    Better yet, it sounds like they've invested a lot in one another dumping her over a phone seems harse, to bad Christmas is over he could have bought her a Z30.

Wait orthodox Christmas is on the 6th you still have time brother, and if you put 10.2.1.1925 on her phone you can load all.kimds of apps the gals like, instagram, vine, etc all that social media horse dung that everybody has their panties in a knot about but will be totally forgotten in 3 years, remember mySpace????

Cheerz

Posted from my ZED 30 jacked up on 10.2.1.1055 thank you very much!!
    01-01-14 07:34 PM
    Neither of which I experienced while I was using it.
    Really?

It's a battery pig like no other, can be finicky as all hell locking up, and I'm getting people suddenly show up on it that I don't want I only have about 10 people on whatsapp and don't need some salesman from a car dealership that I phoned once and save his number pestering me. And yes I can block but not until he tries to bug me, have had it happen a fair bit as soon as they stick my number I their phone I show up as a whatsapp user no thanks

01-01-14 07:38 PM
    Better yet, it sounds like they've invested a lot in one another dumping her over a phone seems harse, to bad Christmas is over he could have bought her a Z30.

Wait Orthodox Christmas is on the 6th you still have time brother, and if you put 10.2.1.1925 on her phone you can load all.kimds of apps the gals like, instagram, vine, etc all that social media horse dung that everybody has their panties in a knot about but will be totally forgotten in 3 years, remember mySpace????

Cheerz

They are using whatsapp to sext & send multiple nude photos to each other. So I don't think they are Orthodox Christians lol

Posted via CB10
    01-02-14 01:49 AM
    Hahaha

Good point, never thought of that haha

So he DID miss his Christmas opportunity then lol.

01-02-14 02:24 AM
    Hahaha

Good point, never thought of that haha

I was just thinking if he was of Ukrainian or Russian descent he could use that as an excuse.

So he DID miss his Christmas opportunity then lol.

01-02-14 02:26 AM
    They are using whatsapp to sext & send multiple nude photos to each other. So I don't think they are Orthodox Christians lol

Posted via CB10

Wait orthodox Christmas is on the 6th you still have time brother, and if you put 10.2.1.1925 on her phone you can load all.kimds of apps the gals like, instagram, vine, etc all that social media horse dung that everybody has their panties in a knot about but will be totally forgotten in 3 years, remember mySpace????

Cheerz

The Ukrainian and Russian equivalent to our Christmas where presents are exchanged would be new year - january 1. orthodox Christmas would involve a present from a godparent.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    01-02-14 10:50 AM
    True

Then he has missed both opportunities unless he get his girlfriends Godparents to give her the Z30

Assuming she has Godparents of course

01-02-14 11:36 PM
    Hi everyone umm feel free to add me if u want
    757F3C38 and thnx♥
    01-03-14 07:46 AM
    This is true. In other hand, it takes more steps to do everything else in Whatsapp like attach a file. With one click in bbm, you have access to voice, attachments, glympse, etc...

OhSnap

Posted via CB10
    01-04-14 03:33 AM
    She has an iPhone. I have the z10. And as much as Kanye's line matches our life so perfectly, I just can't keep her on bbm. The app is excruciatingly slow on her iPhone 4s. Plus, when we get inappropriate in our messages, it's a real bummer to have to "request high quality" picture every time. And then we can't send videos either.

I have 103 bbm contacts. But until usability and functionality is improved on bbm, both the cross OS version and the native, I'm afraid the recent pump up won't last.

We're just one example. But I wonder how many others are in a similar situation..

Posted via CB10
    Unserstand and agree, media sharing is.......well.

Posted via CB10
    01-04-14 04:11 AM
141 ... 456