HQ images do matter especially when you want to show off something (not referring to their nudes)

Why can't BBM send multiple images? Honestly, this is a feature they should have implemented years ago. (WhatsApp has it)

Just imagine how annoying it would be to request HQ images for each image if you want to send someone some nice pictures and not the massively compressed pictures. Oh and just imagine how annoying it would be to send each image individually. :/

WhatsApp does have an edge on BBM in certain ways, and BBM does on WhatsApp in certain ways. If everyone had the same user experience as BBM on BlackBerry 10, BBM easily beats WhatsApp, although multiple images with the option of HQ images automatically sending and receiving is a must.

Posted via CB10
    I will add send videos, location, voice messages in group chats, and the fact that when you receive a message in a group or chat Whatsapp shows you the first unread... in my experience with my xBBM friends these are the major complains from them, fortunately they keep the BBM just for me, they are good friends
    12-13-13 06:35 PM
    Hope more features come in future updates, I would say to the OP don't delete it, keep it, don't use it but be aware of updates, every update you get, check with your girlfriend about improvements and see how it goes, not good enough, Ok, wait for the next, BBM for iOS has 2 months? Remember whatsapp the first two months, I remember not getting messages at all for hours, the thing eating all my battery, etc., they improved in time so will BBM
    12-13-13 06:41 PM
    Yep same here, except the HQ pic part lol.

Whatsapp is a paid app on iOS tho...
    12-14-13 01:12 AM
    I wonder how many people behind the scenes have access to the pictures on whatsapp vs bbm.
    12-14-13 02:29 AM
    There has been consistent security issues with Whatsapp. BlackBerry does not seem to have this issue. So if you are sending racy images you might want to make sure they are BBM secure and not subject to being Whatsapp exposed. I think LINE is better than Whatsapp. You also get to video and voice chat.
    BlackBerry Messenger isn't particularly secure from a theoretical standpoint. Messages are encrypted to a single key shared by all blackberry devices worldwide and I kind of suspect there isn't encryption at all anymore or the messages are being decrypted on blackberry servers as the push notifications for BlackBerry Messenger on iOS devices do contain the plaintext of the message. Since the content of the notification (on iOS) comes from the server the decryption must not be handled locally.

BlackBerry Messenger does not attempt any of the modern approaches to security (secure key exchange and forward secrecy).
    12-14-13 02:35 AM
    I wonder how many people behind the scenes have access to the pictures on whatsapp vs bbm.
    Why not keep the conversation text only and if someone wants to send a nude photo use something like threema?
    12-14-13 02:49 AM
    OP I really hope that you rethink that. BBM is developing and new features are coming. I can't imagine going back to WhatsApp after using BBM on all my devices. And I prefer sending the higher quality pics on request....smaller packets being sent is a good thing. Not all pics need to be high quality.

By the way I'm using it on an iPhone 5. It's Christmas.....get her an iPhone 5S....she's due for an upgrade.

Seriously, rethink that. Nothing beats BBM.
    We meet again :P

Well, as much as I prefer BBM to every other instant messaging service I honestly do not like it when I use it on iOS. Personally I haven't used it on an Android device. I find that a lot of messages are "lost" or delivered late, while most of my status updates just never showed on my mum's 4S, however, they did show on other iOS devices. I do find that if I'm sending several images of my notes or if I'm sending several screen shots and want to "show off" something or perhaps screen shots of conversations too, I send the multiple images through WhatsApp, as BBM does not let you send HQ images without request and does not let you send multiple images.

BBM is also not as smooth as I'd like it to be on iOS. (Still is very smooth) I don't like the interface but that's completely based on opinion, so that may not be relevant to the argument.

However I do love several things about BBM and other than when it comes to image sharing I prefer it to WhatsApp. Note: most people I speak to are on Wi-Fi or have unlimited data plans >.> Here in the UK it's easy to pick up one of those and you don't need to buy the phone separately to retain your old plan, or any other nonsense that carriers in the US do. -.-

Posted via CB10
    12-14-13 04:47 AM
    Anthony Weiner! is that you?

For those who don't know who he is:
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Weiner

Posted via CB10
    12-14-13 05:11 AM

Well, as much as I prefer BBM to every other instant messaging service I honestly do not like it when I use it on iOS. Personally I haven't used it on an Android device. I find that a lot of messages are "lost" or delivered late, while most of my status updates just never showed on my mum's 4S, however, they did show on other iOS devices. I do find that if I'm sending several images of my notes or if I'm sending several screen shots and want to "show off" something or perhaps screen shots of conversations too, I send the multiple images through WhatsApp, as BBM does not let you send HQ images without request and does not let you send multiple images.

BBM is also not as smooth as I'd like it to be on iOS. (Still is very smooth) I don't like the interface but that's completely based on opinion, so that may not be relevant to the argument.

However I do love several things about BBM and other than when it comes to image sharing I prefer it to WhatsApp. Note: most people I speak to are on Wi-Fi or have unlimited data plans >.> Here in the UK it's easy to pick up one of those and you don't need to buy the phone separately to retain your old plan, or any other nonsense that carriers in the US do. -.-

Posted via CB10

Hi again!!!!❤️

I actually LOVE BBM. I had been hoping for it on other platforms for years and got WhatsApp only because everyone I knew left BlackBerry and I was the only one left.

Yeah it's got issues to deal with but it works fine for my use. And for my use, just sending quick shots, I prefer it over WhatsApp.

Just personal preference. I haven't used WhatsApp since BBM cross platform came out.

Sent from whichever BBM carrying device I happen to grab, via Tapatalk
    Last edited by qbnkelt; 12-14-13 at 06:41 AM.
    12-14-13 05:16 AM
    By the way I'm using it on an iPhone 5. It's Christmas.....get her an iPhone 5S....she's due for an upgrade.
    You know, I really should get her an iPhone 5s. It would be such a surprise as I constantly hate on apple lol. She'd love it. Don't know why I didn't think of it sooner *facepalm*

Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    anon(4185604) likes this.
    12-14-13 07:33 AM
    She has an iPhone. I have the z10. And as much as Kanye's line matches our life so perfectly, I just can't keep her on bbm. The app is excruciatingly slow on her iPhone 4s. Plus, when we get inappropriate in our messages, it's a real bummer to have to "request high quality" picture every time. And then we can't send videos either.

I have 103 bbm contacts. But until usability and functionality is improved on bbm, both the cross OS version and the native, I'm afraid the recent pump up won't last.

We're just one example. But I wonder how many others are in a similar situation..

Posted via CB10
    Just tell her to get a BB10 of you'll dump her...problem solved. no?

Posted via CB10 on Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.1055
    12-14-13 07:40 AM
    Sounds like she wears the pants. Man up and let her know how you will be communicating.
    yeah, i get a kick outta guys whos' gf's dictate what/how they use their phones,,, if you think it's bad now, what'll you think it'll be like down the road,,, the domestication, (that's the forum correct version), of the North American man continues...
    12-14-13 07:47 AM
    To each their own. I refuse to use it and refuse to converse with anyone through it.

Installed it once and deleted it same day.
    Why? Because BlackBerry isn't a cool brand?

I've used both and honestly can't imagine preferring WhatsApp. BBM's compression makes it so much faster and more reliable. Status updates are nice, like a private Twitter. Groups are more conversational and better organized. WhatsApp just looks like amateur hour in comparison.

Plus, WhatsApp is kind of a ghost town. Most of my contacts are in "last seen (a long time ago) status. BBM is much more active due to its superior design and smoother functioning.
    siddharth likes this.
    12-14-13 08:00 AM
    You know, I really should get her an iPhone 5s. It would be such a surprise as I constantly hate on apple lol. She'd love it. Don't know why I didn't think of it sooner *facepalm*

Thanks!

Posted via CB10
    If that's what she likes it would be a nice Christmas gift and you could both keep BBM, which I think is the best if the best messenger, bar none.

Posted via CB10
    12-14-13 08:13 AM
    Me and my wife almost divorce because of that loool

Posted via CB10
    Don't worry, dude. I would do the same! lol

Posted via CB10
    12-14-13 08:25 AM

Posted via CB10
    One of my best friends switch from 4s to 5 and i must say BBM looks much better now in her phone. Not better that bb10, of course, but a lot of improvements from old ios devices to new ones.

Posted via CB10
    12-14-13 08:27 AM
    BBM is in a good way. They're updating for all platform pretty quick if you ask me and with the imminent launch of voice and video for Android and ios will be even better.

Posted via CB10
    12-14-13 08:30 AM
    Multiple pictures at a time is something I can agree with

That would be convenient.

Sending a high end picture. Shouldn't that be an option for the receiver?

And currently both you can decide on that by clicking on the picture and requesting an hq image then the sender deciding if it's warranted.
    Hmm you make a good point. How about the message is sent in high resolution originally but when it reaches the receiver they can either click yes accept this high res picture or no and then they get a low quality picture by default.
    This requesting two stop process is annoying and that's what I would like to see eliminated. Make it a one step process.

I also forgot to add they should add videos as well.
    12-14-13 09:04 AM
    BBM is in a good way. They're updating for all platform pretty quick if you ask me and with the imminent launch of voice and video for Android and ios will be even better.
    Notification is still broken in BBM on my Android, even though the process/service are always running and using 75MB+ and the icon is running in the notification area all the time. I have to actually launch the app every once in a while to see the messages I missed because the notification didn't actually, ya know, notify me.

This is a basic and most fundamental feature of a messaging app - and it doesn't work. I don't even care about any missing features or minor bugs with the app, just get the basics working - otherwise, what's the point?
    12-14-13 10:02 AM
    I notice that the profile photo changes don't get pushed out evenly to my contacts. my wife has one, a friend another and another friend yet another

status updates don't seem to push out evenly too.

If you take the Groups aspect of BlackBerry Messenger out, it isn't a very good messenger by modern standards and having group and single notifications all combined (I want to silence group notifications but keep non group notifications coming in) makes me drop active groups that I'm in.
    12-14-13 02:05 PM
    I notice that the profile photo changes don't get pushed out evenly to my contacts. my wife has one, a friend another and another friend yet another

status updates don't seem to push out evenly too.

If you take the Groups aspect of BlackBerry Messenger out, it isn't a very good messenger by modern standards and having group and single notifications all combined (I want to silence group notifications but keep non group notifications coming in) makes me drop active groups that I'm in.
    Um you can silence individual groups; both on BBOS & BB10. It's under notifications. Go check, If you still can't figure it out post on CB stating what OS your using & I'm sure someone here will give you step by step directions

Posted via CB10
    12-14-13 08:35 PM
    Why? Because BlackBerry isn't a cool brand?

I've used both and honestly can't imagine preferring WhatsApp. BBM's compression makes it so much faster and more reliable. Status updates are nice, like a private Twitter. Groups are more conversational and better organized. WhatsApp just looks like amateur hour in comparison.

Plus, WhatsApp is kind of a ghost town. Most of my contacts are in "last seen (a long time ago) status. BBM is much more active due to its superior design and smoother functioning.
    What are you smoking? Like a lot of people on this forum, you're jumping to conclusions.

Read a post thoroughly before replying to it. I was talking about WhatsApp.
    And there's no more bbm data compression.
    12-14-13 08:51 PM
    Um you can silence individual groups; both on BBOS & BB10. It's under notifications. Go check, If you still can't figure it out post on CB stating what OS your using & I'm sure someone here will give you step by step directions

Posted via CB10
    This on iOS, not bbos.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    12-14-13 08:52 PM
    Or or or, there should be an option in BBM settings: "Always send high quality pictures by default" and "Always receive high quality pictures by default" or something like that.

If both the sender and recipient have yes to send and receiving high quality pictures, it should automatically send an HQ one. If one of them has a no to then a low quality picture should be sent with the option of requesting an HQ one

Posted via CB10
    12-15-13 08:15 AM
    OP I really hope that you rethink that. BBM is developing and new features are coming. I can't imagine going back to WhatsApp after using BBM on all my devices. And I prefer sending the higher quality pics on request....smaller packets being sent is a good thing. Not all pics need to be high quality.
    The problem, of course, is that you don't get a second chance to make a first impression. Apparently, BlackBerry released BBM with a minimal feature set, because I keep hearing how great it's going to be once this or that feature arrives. Meanwhile, BBM isn't even in the top 200 in the U.S. App Store anymore. (200 is as far as it lets you scroll, so I don't know where BBM actually is). In contrast, Skype is at 38, WhatsApp is at 39, and Facebook Messenger is at 2.

I'm getting the uncomfortable feeling that by the time BlackBerry gets BBM working the way they want, they will have missed their window of opportunity.
    12-15-13 10:09 AM
141 ... 23456