https://ca.news.yahoo.com/girl-s-gal...143611933.html

Does this ring a bell? Especially how Samsung always touts its good battery life,etc. More importantly should people even put their phones on their beds???

I keep mine far, far away. All the way to the kitchen table. :P
    07-30-14 03:04 AM
    Mine is always close. And I use original chargers. And battery... well I have a Z30

Posted via CB10
    07-30-14 03:17 AM
    I would never keep any electronics under my pillow. That's never safe.

Posted via CB10
    Vorkosigan likes this.
    07-30-14 03:30 AM
    Another pathetic attempt by Samsung to deny responsibly, "maybe it's an after market battery" maybe it's because there was no air circulation," maybe, maybe, maybe. These devices were recalled Samsung had to give an official apology to the Chinese for the defects, in order to continue operations there. They also paid fines, Anyone with Samsung devices be forewarned , Samsung will deny liability. There are quite a few cases of this happening even without the pillow covering incident. Samsung refuses to accept liability and have even been demanding that those affected not go public.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by crackbrry fan; 07-30-14 at 11:40 AM.
    07-30-14 08:28 AM
    The bigger question is why she A LITTLE GIRL had a phone in bed at all while sleeping. "Parents"

Posted via CB10
    silversmith75 likes this.
    07-30-14 08:33 AM
    I would never keep any electronics under my pillow. That's never safe.

Posted via CB10
    Agreed.

Germany. 2014 FIFA World Cup Champs!
    Poirots Progeny likes this.
    07-30-14 08:38 AM
    Take a look at ANY product with the Lithium-Ion battery, including your BB phone, and you'll see that they all have the same warnings. Those batteries can overheat and, in rare instances, have a short. When you mass-produce tens or hundreds of millions of anything, you're going to have an occasional defect, and also an occasional misuse of the product (in this case, allowing it to overheat because it's over-insulated by being recharged while under a pillow).

But these incidents are quite rare - with well over a billion smartphones sold, only a small handful of reports about this have been released, and statistically, it's hardly surprising that they've been Apple or Samsung phones - those two companies have made the bulk of the phones sold. It will happen to a BB sooner or later, and it won't really be BB's fault then either.
    litig8or98, TGR1, eldricho and 4 others like this.
    07-30-14 08:54 AM
    every phone i've had i've always put it under my pillow, never do it when its charging anymore.. ALL of my blackberrys have had broken chargers due to doing that so i stopped when i got my Q5
    07-30-14 08:59 AM
    What she was thinking? the phone ferry will come and replace it with an iPhone?
    CMcRob likes this.
    07-30-14 09:13 AM
    every phone i've had i've always put it under my pillow, never do it when its charging anymore.. ALL of my blackberrys have had broken chargers due to doing that so i stopped when i got my Q5
    Really? I don't understand why, don't you have a nightstand, table, desk or something close by that your phone can be set on?

Posted via CB10
    07-30-14 09:18 AM
    My Z10 would do the same thing. i sometimes think its going to catch on fire just holding it in m hand using it!
    07-30-14 09:25 AM
    Really? I don't understand why, don't you have a nightstand, table, desk or something close by that your phone can be set on?

Posted via CB10
    i did have but my alarms wernt waking me up for college so i tried under the pillow it seemed to work if that makes sence?
    07-30-14 09:26 AM
    i did have but my alarms wernt waking me up for college so i tried under the pillow it seemed to work if that makes sence?
    Whatever works right, I was just curious

Posted via CB10
    07-30-14 09:32 AM
    Mine is always close. And I use original chargers. And battery... well I have a Z30

Posted via CB10
    I see what you did that, haha

Posted via CB10 with Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.3175
    07-30-14 09:53 AM
    Another pathetic attempt by Samsung to deny responsibly, "maybe it's an after market battery" maybe it's because there was no air circulation," maybe, maybe, maybe. These devices were recalled Samsung had to give an official apology to the Chinese for the defects, in order to continue operations there. They also paid fines, Anyone with Samsung devices be forewarned , Samsung will deny liability.

Posted via CB10
    Read the article please the owner of the phone stated it was an aftermarket battery and that she kept it under her pillow. Two things you should never do; use non oem batteries and restrict air flow on your device.
    Would you be quick to blame BlackBerry if you wreaked your phone by using a charger from another manufacturer??

I know it's easy to blame a competitor but the owner bears all the fault here. Also links please to where Samsung apologizes to the Chinese or is it more rumor based on vapor...

"I love when people boast about their phones...like its a pissing contest"
    shaleem, Melinium and Berry_Pink like this.
    07-30-14 10:06 AM
    This is not Samsung's fault at all.

First culprit is aftermarket battery. Many of these cells would not pass OEM quality control.

Second is putting phone under a pillow. You should NEVER do this with any electronic device, especially when charging. Phones can heat to over 100 degrees while charging open air, with nowhere for heat to escape what do you think will happen?

This is just common sense. Don't put any electronics in a non-ventilated area.

Posted via CB10
    07-30-14 10:18 AM
    The bigger question is why she A LITTLE GIRL had a phone in bed at all while sleeping. "Parents"

Posted via CB10
    This seems like a very rare and unexpected incident involving a defective device/battery. It's not like the parents sent her to bed with a loaded gun. Not all unfortunate incidents are reflective of bad parenting.

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums
    CMcRob and Berry_Pink like this.
    07-30-14 10:25 AM
    It's not much about being a bad parent my son is 12 and I take his phone away before bedtime. As a 12 year old with no direction, I KNOW he will be texting or on FB or whatever instead of sleeping. So it's not about being a "bad" parent, it's about establishing guidelines to a 12 year old.

Sent from another device other than my z10 ,using CB Forums
    Witmen, CMcRob, spikesolie and 1 others like this.
    07-30-14 10:34 AM
    With that being said, I think if you put most electronic devices under a pillow and "suffocate it" you will have some serious consequences to deal with

07-30-14 10:35 AM
    It's not much about being a bad parent my son is 12 and I take his phone away before bedtime. As a 12 year old with no direction, I KNOW he will be texting or on FB or whatever instead of sleeping. So it's not about being a "bad" parent, it's about establishing guidelines to a 12 year old.

We do the same thing in our house, when it is bed time, all of the electronics -phone, tablet, and 3Ds- are left down stairs while the kids go upstairs to sleep. We take inventory just to ensure they haven't smuggled anything into bed.
    CMcRob and spikesolie like this.
    07-30-14 12:07 PM
    We also have a "no electronics" rule for devices in the bedroom at our house....for everyone. No need to have kids playing around unsupervised on the internet in the wee hours of the night.

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums mobile app
    Witmen and spikesolie like this.
    07-30-14 12:35 PM
    Oh, were we not suppose to start a bonfire with our phones?
    07-30-14 12:39 PM
    We do the same thing in our house, when it is bed time, all of the electronics -phone, tablet, and 3Ds- are left down stairs while the kids go upstairs to sleep. We take inventory just to ensure they haven't smuggled anything into bed.
    My kids (9, 7, and 6 yo) sometimes play with a tablet before going to sleep. Usually to read on the kindle app, but sometimes to watch a show on Netflix. I tell them to turn it off by a certain time and they always do. I place more limits on device use during the day, as I'd rather have them playing outside in the yard during the day (getting exercise) than playing on a device in the house. Different parents, different styles. Not right or wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using CB Forums
    CMcRob, 1magine and Berry_Pink like this.
    07-30-14 12:44 PM
    What worries me is that these parents will probably look for some sort or monetary settlement, not enough that they will supposedly get a new phone. Never mind the fact that they were using an aftermarket battery and doing something with the phone that's not advisable. Along the same lines as the lady that sued McDonald's when she got burnt with the hot coffee or the teenage girl that fell in to a manhole in NY while texting and walking (thank god she wasn't driving, hopefully she'll learn her lesson before she's old enough to drive), and I believe she sued as well, although the workers were putting up barriers. I guess the bottom line here is to take responsibilities for your own actions, and when you screw up don't go blaming the world!!

Posted via CB10
    07-30-14 01:00 PM
    To me, what IS wrong is parents who let their kids play video games on either their phones or xbox, etc....and they grow up to have no social skills whatsoever. No interaction with the real world ( although sometimes I wonder if that too is a good thing,lol). And those are the same kids that go on shooting sprees, and other violent actions. Of course then the parents go and once again blame the video companies for making the violent games!!

Posted via CB10
    gng11 likes this.
    07-30-14 01:03 PM
60 123