CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Getting a cheap OS7 BB on ATT contract...entirely crazy?

Hello all,

Long story short, I've currently got a WebOS device on its last legs...it needs replacing ASAP. I'm a student on an extremely limited budget, but happily, I'm eligible for an ATT contract upgrade. Realistically, my budget is $50+tax/fees, max. It's either going to be a WP8 device (the Lumia 820 looks like a likely pick) or a Blackberry. Realistically, that leaves me with a non-high-end (Refurb?) Blackberry (think 9810 or 9860, probably)...and yes, using that device for two years. Recognizing this is a BB forum, am I really better off moving over to the new, likely-to-be-supported-in-2-years WP8 platform, or jumping on the tail end of BB7, given the ~2 year lifespan ahead of me?

My primary uses are email/SMS, with light calling/photography. I'm really not a heavy smartphone user.

Thanks for your input.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

PIN
    27F48177

Quote Originally Posted by silly_sysiphus View Post
    Hello all,

Long story short, I've currently got a WebOS device on its last legs...it needs replacing ASAP. I'm a student on an extremely limited budget, but happily, I'm eligible for an ATT contract upgrade. Realistically, my budget is $50+tax/fees, max. It's either going to be a WP8 device (the Lumia 820 looks like a likely pick) or a Blackberry. Realistically, that leaves me with a non-high-end (Refurb?) Blackberry (think 9810 or 9860, probably)...and yes, using that device for two years. Recognizing this is a BB forum, am I really better off moving over to the new, likely-to-be-supported-in-2-years WP8 platform, or jumping on the tail end of BB7, given the ~2 year lifespan ahead of me?

My primary uses are email/SMS, with light calling/photography. I'm really not a heavy smartphone user.

Thanks for your input.
    Why would you be crazy? A BlackBerry is perfect for what you need and bare in mind the Nokia Lumia 820 is not WP8, it's WP7.5 and it got left behind, so you won't be joining WP8 platform with it.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    1,912 Global Posts

Default Re: Getting a cheap OS7 BB on ATT contract...entirely crazy?

Hello all,

Thanks for your input.
    Unless you are adamant about having a BB, I honestly wouldn't recommend any BBOS 7 device at the moment if you're talking about using it for the next 2 years. Especially with BB10 round the corner, however, it might be a while before a budget BlackBerry 10 device in the market. That will be the device that will get more support from both RIM and from developers. I do like BBOS 7, and use it as my daily driver over other platforms that I own, but even so, I honestly can't recommend it, unless you really want a BB and can use it for the next 2 years.

With your needs, frankly any platform will suit your need. Maybe you can offer more specifics as to how you use your device? Or more use that you want out of it? Since you specifically created an account here on CrackBerry to ask this question, it shows that you are interested in a BB. But at this point, if you don't need BBM, don't need BIS push emails/notifications, or the security it offers, I am more inclined to recommend the Lumia 820. I myself would take a BBOS 7 device over any other platform including WP8, but this is just me. It you who will have to live with the device for the next 2 years. Think not just of what you will need now, but also what you might need/want in the near future within the 2 years.

Of course, do check out review videos of the devices you are looking at. Be it BB, WP8, or even perhaps other platforms within your budget. It might change your mind.

And Lumia 820 DOES run WP8. Not 7.8.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,567 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by belfastdispatcher View Post
    Why would you be crazy? A BlackBerry is perfect for what you need and bare in mind the Nokia Lumia 820 is not WP8, it's WP7.5 and it got left behind, so you won't be joining WP8 platform with it.
    Lumia 820 is WP8. Lumia 800 is WP7.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    1,060 Global Posts

If you're that limitted for money and you want to save your upgrade for BB10 then maybe you should just pickup a used BB7 for now. The new BB10 will be more than $50 when it's released though. I think most BB are free with a contract right now or there's always black friday when there should be a really super deal happening.
    BB10 Powered by QNX RTOS.

Hello all,

Thanks for your input.
    PM me. I might have an option for you to consider.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons; dragonslayers are crunchy, and good with ketchup

PIN
    27F48177

Quote Originally Posted by Roo Zilla View Post
    Lumia 820 is WP8. Lumia 800 is WP7.
    My mistake, thanks.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,322 Global Posts

Good question and a rather difficult one at the time. Personally I'd almost say go for the Nokia, however it wouldn't be right. Could you give us some more details about your usage?

I mean you most likely have considered a Blackberry for various reasons, what do you expect of it?
    Windows Phone 8 of course is more future proof. While all OS7.x devices currently still get good support from RIM itself (about one FW release per month), app developers is a completely different story.

When it comes to apps, the Windows Phone plattform simply offers more choice. I switched from the often dead-called Symbian plattform over to a Bold 9900 and was surprised, in a negative way, about the app situation. My previous "dead" plattform had more apps to offer than RIMs current top-of-the-line system. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not an app-crazy guy, but some more options would just be nice. Having said that, I am not sure how "productive" the Windows Phone UI really is. A part which is pretty critical for me, while it looks really nice and fresh, I am unsure how it would fair me as my daily driver. OS7 on the other side might look a bit old and boring, but it just gets the job done. I really like the UI there for the most part.

The 9810 by the way shouldn't be taken on too lightly, in terms of hardware it still is one of the best OS7 devices out there, in terms of camera it actually tops the 99x0.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,567 Global Posts

I'm curious what the marketing for the Lumia line is like in Spanish speaking countries. I think "lumia" in some countries is slang for prostitute.

Global Posts
    5,425 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Roo Zilla View Post
    I'm curious what the marketing for the Lumia line is like in Spanish speaking countries. I think "lumia" in some countries is slang for prostitute.
    That's the best marketing you could get!!

Anyway, back on topic. OP, I kinda get the predicament you're in. Have you looked at craigslist/kijiji type of local options, for, say an OS6 device? You still might go over the budget you've mentioned, but at least you'll get to save your upgrade! That being said, I haven't looked at OS6 device prices recently, so I could be way off on my mental estimation of what they're worth these days.
    Models and Supported Frequencies: Z10, Q10, Q5, Z30

Want to find out which radio band your BB10 phone is currently on? UMTS, LTE (careful with escreens!)
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #11  

Thank you all for the input. Ultimately, it sounds like the best solution for a BB is to find a cheap OS6/7 device off-contract, then hold out for BBX...

(Alternatively, I can get a 9810 from Amazon Wireless for $0.01...not too bad if I don't mind not being an early adopter of BBX)

qbnkelt, you've got PM

To answer the questions about usage...really, my phone usage is mostly email/SMS, save for calling my mom and snapping the occasional picture of a whiteboard in lecture. Nothing fancy/complex. I don't use many apps; the only ones I've got a use for are an RPN calculator and Facebook (necessary evil).

Thanks again for the input...
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,349 Global Posts
    PIN
    @getdjmac

Thank you all for the input. Ultimately, it sounds like the best solution for a BB is to find a cheap OS6/7 device off-contract, then hold out for BBX...

(Alternatively, I can get a 9810 from Amazon Wireless for $0.01...not too bad if I don't mind not being an early adopter of BBX)

qbnkelt, you've got PM

BB7.1 will work fine. no reason not to pick one up. the OS is Polished for what it does.

To answer the questions about usage...really, my phone usage is mostly email/SMS, save for calling my mom and snapping the occasional picture of a whiteboard in lecture. Nothing fancy/complex. I don't use many apps; the only ones I've got a use for are an RPN calculator and Facebook (necessary evil).

Thanks again for the input...
    BB7.1 will work fine, the OS is polished for what it does. Sounds like its just what you need. 9810 is a great device.
    CrackBerry Genius

I second the notion of buying a cheap used OS7 Curve off contract and just reselling it once BB10 comes out. Your loss will be minimal at that point.
    Blatant placeholder signature.
    Waterloo's Finest

Global Posts
    5,324 Global Posts

i would suggest a blackberry over the nokia. why get it on contract though? for about $120 all in you can get a brand new curve. you wont be locked in and you are only paying $70 more for that luxury
    Phones: Nokia 5110>Nokia 3360>Siemens C56>Moto RAZR>LG Chocolate>Pearl 8100>Bold 9000 >Pearl 9100 + Bold 9900 > iPhone 4S + Z10 + Bold 9000
    Tablets: 16GB Playbook > Playbook 32GB
    __________________________________________________ _________________________

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE SEXY GIRLS IN YOGA PANTS CHANNEL

C000288CC
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #15  

Quote Originally Posted by qbnkelt View Post
    PM me. I might have an option for you to consider.
    I've tried to PM you again, but your inbox seems to be full, FYI. I think we're on the same page at this point, though

I've tried to PM you again, but your inbox seems to be full, FYI. I think we're on the same page at this point, though
    Yes, sorry...I get loads of messages.

We are on the same point.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons; dragonslayers are crunchy, and good with ketchup
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #17  

Quote Originally Posted by qbnkelt View Post
    Yes, sorry...I get loads of messages.

We are on the same point.

Fantastic, looking forward to it
    CrackBerry User

Thread AuthorThread Author   #18  

Just as a final update to all who contributed ideas/input: thanks again, I've got a 9860 coming my way, as well as a new charger and battery Looking forward to the switch from my clever, yet dying/unreliable old Palm