OK, this is not intended to be a double post to http://forums.crackberry.com/f83/t-b...tagging-90242/

That disscussion thread notes AT&T in the title and I wanted to broaden this out a little to the international Crackberry community and to any GPS enabled Blackberry. Whether built in GPS or via Bluetooth external GPS puck.

There we had some discussions on taking a picture with your BB Bold "with Geotagging enabled". You wait for the satellite icon to turn white from red; take your picture. Then when you open your picture from your picture folder you can choose menu / View on Map. Then the image would show up as an image thumbnail with a pointer to a Blackberry Map location.

That's great. So what can we do and not do with this feature? I know that I can do what I just noted above. Though I just tried with a fellow CrackberryHead and Bold owner where I snapped a geotagged pic (which I could view on my BB Maps) but when I BB Messengered the image to him he could not get the "View on Map" choice. I tried the same by emailing the photo to another email account on my BB and I also could not see the "View on Map" feature, but I could with the original. Had them both side by side in my photo album.

It seems the GeoTag info is not sent along when pin'ing or emailing your tagged photo.

I read from one user who moved the image off their phone that they could see the tagged info within PhotoShop.

What works & what doesnt? What applications can we think of?

Other than sending a GeoTagged image to your Boss or significant other proving your present location
    11-13-08 01:54 PM
    I realize there are gps applications for finding your car at the mall, but I find it's much easier to take a geotagged picture of where you parked and you can then refer to the picture to find your car or bb maps to give you directions. This way you don't have another application taking up memory that you would occasionally use.
    11-13-08 03:43 PM
    I took some pics with my new Bold. The "View On Map" choice isn't on my phone, probably because the AT&T version does not have BlackBerry Maps.

I downloaded the pics to my computer. I used Irfanview (a popular freeware photo viewing program) and the EXIF plug in is able to display the GPS coordinates embedded in the picture. So the GPS coordinates are in the pictures once you get them on your computer. The question is what software out there can read the geocode.

I had heard Picassa would use the codes, but when I uploaded them I could not see a way to find out the location of the pictures.
    11-13-08 03:44 PM
    I realize there are gps applications for finding your car at the mall, but I find it's much easier to take a geotagged picture of where you parked and you can then refer to the picture to find your car or bb maps to give you directions. This way you don't have another application taking up memory that you would occasionally use.

Lol, that's a good idea.
    11-14-08 01:44 AM
    What I have yet to experimant with is pulling the G'tagged image off my phone and posting it on Google Earth. As when you are zooming on areas within google earth you often see user submitted photos with pointers and short descriptions. Would be even better if one could do that straight from the phone. Anyone tried this yet? I'll fiddle with it eventually... Maybe itks gotta work via picassa and/or google apps. Though the location info would have to be retained when doing so...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-15-08 12:15 PM
    Quick question... Does Geotagging on the Bold only work on BlackBerry Maps when using the "View on Map" Option?
    02-25-09 02:39 PM
    If it's writing the coordinates into the metadata, then any application that can read the metadata shoudl be able to pick up the location. the problem is, not every application has this capability.

Some of the social networking sites have geocaching built in, so when you post images to your profile, they can post where the images was taken (I think Flkr has this, as well as TwitPic and BriteKite).
    02-25-09 04:34 PM
    Now, I just have a quick question.

I have a Bold with OS 247. Some of my pictures are geotagged, but what is this "satellite icon" that you are talking about. I've never seen this icon on any OS Builds for my bold. Am I doing something wrong? Cause I have geotagged pictures, there is just never a way for me to tell until after taking the picture if its tagged.

Thanks,
    Chris
    04-09-09 10:34 AM
    sorry, I figured it out!

My camera was in Full Screen.

Any way to get these icons on in full screen?
    04-09-09 10:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD