My Local radio station posted a question on twitter asking if people would be upgrading to BB10. A lot of the responses were from mostly uneducated users comparing Blackberry to Iphone and Androids based on the old BB OS and saying they were done with Blackberry. RIM needs to hurry up and show the public that this is a whole new platform and that any problems with the old BB OS wont be present on BB10. A lot of people know nothing about BB10 but have already decided its horrible based on the old OS and also based on what the general public says about the old OS i think this is RIMs problem. Hopefully once the actual device is released and these users can see the Z10 actually being used in everyday life they will begin to change their mind.
    01-22-13 08:54 AM
    Timing is everything for RIM, they have lost the ability to promise anything without it being 'in stores now', they will once they shake past mistakes and missed deadlines, but today they can only show the 'public' what they have now. So only one week and the fireworks and advertizing will kick in, enterprise will begin distributing, diehards will scoop up what they can and the public will begin to see that this is not last years Blackberry!
    01-22-13 09:17 AM
    RIM needs to hurry up and...
    No, RIM needs to stick to their extremely well known plan of launching the device on Jan 30th. It's only 8 days away, I don't think hurrying anything will help at this point.

Yes, the general public may be oblivious to BB10 and what it is, and what it can/will do, and that it has no relation to the legacy BBOS.... but that's what the product launch and following marketing is for... to get that information out to the general public.

Si.
    pantlesspenguin and Banco like this.
    01-22-13 09:25 AM
    Marketing to the masses will take time. Once the phones are actually on the shelves, then the word of mouth momentum can take off.
    01-22-13 09:28 AM
    General Public will know more about BB10 once it's available; they won't care about software, they'll care about the whole package (software, hardware, UI, Apps, etc.). No point in marketing the OS to the GP without showing them the final hardware and letting them know where they can buy it today. . . . I've had 'non-techy' types starting to come to me asking if I've heard the rumours about the amazing new BB that's coming out. . .

8 more days!!!!
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    01-22-13 09:46 AM
    General Public will know more about BB10 once it's available; they won't care about software, they'll care about the whole package (software, hardware, UI, Apps, etc.). No point in marketing the OS to the GP without showing them the final hardware and letting them know where they can buy it today. . . . I've had 'non-techy' types starting to come to me asking if I've heard the rumours about the amazing new BB that's coming out. . .

8 more days!!!!
    Agree the GP don't care about the OS... it's what the device can do (and can't do) that they are concerned with. If their friends phone will access Facebook or plays a particular game or will beam photos to another phone, they want their device to do it too.

Don't think we can really expect the public to care about BB10 until it is out and about, and really gets some good buzz from reviewers and they start seeing it in other peoples hands.
    01-22-13 09:52 AM
    what i wish they would do is make it clear there is a completely new and improved blackberry that is going to be launched on the 30th.
    that way people can follow it themselves.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    01-22-13 09:54 AM
    what i wish they would do is make it clear there is a completely new and improved blackberry that is going to be launched on the 30th.

The problem is they won't.... We follow because we care. Once they hear that something is up, they'll search for it (maybe), find out that they can't see nor touch it, figure "whatever", and move on. They've come out with a 10yr platform, not 6 months so doing it just right, and letting the masses work their way over, is the plan ahead. We are only 8 day's away from launch and then we'll start to see what RIM has up its sleeves.
    01-22-13 10:07 AM
    Most of my family uses iPhone's and Android's and they know I'm big into BB. A few of them called me up a month or so ago and were wondering why RIM stock is going up the roof. I told them it's because of a new released OS and handset with BB10. They never heard of it then, and are slowly starting to hear about it now(not only from me). I've recently showed them some youtube cliips and they were all quite amazed and quite interested. Word is slowly getting out but the masses will know at the end of this month!
    01-22-13 10:33 AM
    The problem is they won't.... We follow because we care. Once they hear that something is up, they'll search for it (maybe), find out that they can't see nor touch it, figure "whatever", and move on. They've come out with a 10yr platform, not 6 months so doing it just right, and letting the masses work their way over, is the plan ahead. We are only 8 day's away from launch and then we'll start to see what RIM has up its sleeves.
    but there is a lot of the current bb users out there who are unaware.
    we know because we care a lot.
    there are a lot of people who like bb, but have no idea about bb10. i know a few people have left bb without knowing about bb10.
    either way its too late now, so heres hoping bb10 brings lost members back home

01-22-13 10:40 AM
    The vast majority of people didn't care about the current operating systems either. It just didn't appear on their radar because no-one sold it to them. And that feeds on itself. The vast majority only think in terms of new and shiny - that thing called "cool". Telling them about what it does and doesn't do just means eyes will glaze over and they'll drift off to sleep. Getting the sellers (of whatever form) enthused is what makes the difference.
    01-22-13 10:53 AM
    I just got a BBM from a friend yesterday and she said she will no longer be on BBM cause she just got an iPhone. I texted her and asked why she didn't wait for BB10. She said " what's that" and "when does it come out"? I gave her the details and then told her she had 14 days to return or exchange the iphone if she didn't like it, but I am sure this type of thing is happening every day and will continue to do so until it news gets out at the end of the month.
    01-22-13 10:59 AM
    This is yet another "RIM should be marketing" thread. Just let the chief marketing officer do his thing.
    01-22-13 11:00 AM
    The general public is uneducated about a lot... It's not just a bb10 thing
    Steve Rizla and dee. like this.
    01-22-13 11:00 AM
    RIM is doing the right thing. They did the right thing by delaying BB10 until it's ready to be a competitive in the market. They are also doing right by not marketing something that's not out. They are trusting the people they hire to make decisions. If they jumped when we the public said jump, we probably wouldn't be talking about BB10 at all.

All in due time my friend. Relax and enjoy the ride.
    01-22-13 11:07 AM
    The general public is uneducated about a lot... It's not just a bb10 thing
    I totally agree with that! thats why they buy Apple products lol. A company that constantly rips them off and they keep coming back for more
    01-22-13 11:11 AM
    my point was rim should have let existing bb users know.
    a lot have left simply because there are no new blackberries.
    ahh well .

01-22-13 11:13 AM
    my point was rim should have let existing bb users know.
    a lot have left simply because there are no new blackberries.
    ahh well .

How could they do that? The only way is through something like a BBM broadcast message. RIM don't have the personal details of most users.
    01-22-13 11:26 AM
    The happened to me... A teen comparing her Curve 8520 to an iPhone 5, an concluded by saying”BB10 is an outdated operating system” I was supprised that she didn't know anything at all about bb10, even after I told her how BB10 was way better then OS 5 and iPhone 5... I hope after jan 30 there will be a big brain washing campain about BB10 cause us fans can't go everywhere, even if we do our best. So RIM have to be careful!
    01-22-13 11:41 AM
    The happened to me... A teen comparing her Curve 8520 to an iPhone 5, an concluded by saying”BB10 is an outdated operating system” I was supprised that she didn't know anything at all about bb10, even after I told her how BB10 was way better then OS 5 and iPhone 5... I hope after jan 30 there will be a big brain washing campain about BB10 cause us fans can't go everywhere, even if we do our best. So RIM have to be careful!
    Whatever a teen currently has is going to be the bestestestestestest thing in the world ever, like, man.

It's the way they think.
    01-22-13 11:47 AM
    I totally agree with that! thats why they buy Apple products lol. A company that constantly rips them off and they keep coming back for more
    Come on, don't make such a stupid statement. All premium smart phones cost $200 with a contract so I don't know how someone buying an iPhone is getting ripped off. I know BB people don't want to hear it, but people 'keep coming back' to Apple products because they're extremely well made and easy to use. Apple has some of the best retention rates in the industry and there's a reason beyond the public being 'uneducated', it's because people enjoy using the product. (All this is coming from an iPhone user who's switching to BB10 but I'm the exception, not the rule. Love the iPhone but ready for a change)

EDIT: As for the original topic, BB's biggest problem is that for the last 2 years their OS has looked like *** compared to Android and iOs. They need to pimp out BB10 like nobody's business and hope that word of mouth and good press can educate people who are mulling over switching from their current smartphone ecosystem or entering it for the first time. BB10 is an awesome operating system but a vast majority of people are going to think of the old OS when they hear BB and it's up to the company to change that. Gonna be an uphill battle.
    Banco, Coachbulldog and dee. like this.
    01-22-13 11:49 AM
    Come on, don't make such a stupid statement. All premium smart phones cost $200 with a contract so I don't know how someone buying an iPhone is getting ripped off. I know BB people don't want to hear it, but people 'keep coming back' to Apple products because they're extremely well made and easy to use. Apple has some of the best retention rates in the industry and there's a reason beyond the public being 'uneducated', it's because people enjoy using the product. (All this is coming from an iPhone user who's switching to BB10 but I'm the exception, not the rule. Love the iPhone but ready for a change)
    The one thing I would add to that which Apple do brilliantly is lock people in to their products through tablets, phones, apps, iTunes and so forth. I know a fair few people who are a little fed up with them (maybe it's just ennui) but say they've too much invested to move. It's not a criticism, it's outstanding on their part to do that.
    01-22-13 11:51 AM
    The one thing I would add to that which Apple do brilliantly is lock people in to their products through tablets, phones, apps, iTunes and so forth. I know a fair few people who are a little fed up with them (maybe it's just ennui) but say they've too much invested to move. It's not a criticism, it's outstanding on their part to do that.
    Absolutely, I have an iPad, iPhone and Macbook Air and it's really nice to have everything synced but I also don't really download music, books or a ton of apps so switching out of the phone's ecosystem isn't going to hurt me as much as it does a lot of people. I'll miss writing a note on my computer and having it on the other 2 devices and having a calendar that spans across the board but I can live with using Evernote and E-mail to make up for the lack of syncing. This is a huge issue for a lot of people though, I really think most of BB's chance at marketshare has to come at the expense of Android, don't see a lot of iPhone users making the switch.
    01-22-13 11:55 AM
    What's strange is that someone texted me at like midnight this morning and said "what's good BB" ....now I don't recognize this number but I assume it is an uneducated person who is on my FB and sees all my support of BB10 displayed over my profile pic and cover. Or it's someone who texted my number accidentally and it had nothing to do with BB.
    01-22-13 12:03 PM
    Absolutely, I have an iPad, iPhone and Macbook Air and it's really nice to have everything synced but I also don't really download music, books or a ton of apps so switching out of the phone's ecosystem isn't going to hurt me as much as it does a lot of people. I'll miss writing a note on my computer and having it on the other 2 devices and having a calendar that spans across the board but I can live with using Evernote and E-mail to make up for the lack of syncing. This is a huge issue for a lot of people though, I really think most of BB's chance at marketshare has to come at the expense of Android, don't see a lot of iPhone users making the switch.
    It'll take a fair while for them to do so. But as we saw with Blackberry too, leaking sales happens slowly over time, before collapsing unless you do something to stop it. I can see people moving away from Apple, but not yet, and not if they do something exciting to prevent it happening. That's not because there's something wrong with it, just that people do have a nasty habit of getting bored with what they have and seek a change. The big achievement for them has been to make it not worth people's while, and overcoming that barrier is the reason leakage is likely to be low for the forseeable future.

I would say that an entry level BB10 phone is an interesting one to grab Android marketshare, because that's not an area Apple play in too much.
    01-22-13 12:05 PM
43 12