Morning All...

I've had a BlackBerry 8800 from AT&T through work for a little over a year now. Aside from my issues with the AT&T network, the device is awsome (especially since I've got it in an Otterbox, it puts up with my abuse too).

My personal phone is on Verizon, and I'm psyched about the upcoming Storm. Naturally, I'm roaming around here anxiously awaiting updates, etc.

I'm a competent BlackBerry user, but I'm by no means totally wired in per se. So I have some questions based on what I've been reading here over the past couple weeks (and they're not focused on any single product or topic):

First: Since signing in here, I notice some folks have a PIN in their headers (looks like a Hex ESN almost). What is the purpose of that, what does it do?

Second: Reading about the eBay sale of the BlackBerry Javelin, I noted some comments by people saying, "it'll only work for a few days, and the PIN will expire" -- or something like that. Is this a RIM PIN for unlocked phones? I'm with a CDMA carrier and that doesn't play a role. My work BlackBerry has some stuff locked down by my DOIM (govt IT), so I don't get to play with it fully.

Third: Well...I had a third but forgot...so there it is for now. I will say that I did do a little searching here for similar subjects, but it was only half-hearted...
    09-22-08 08:51 AM
    The PINs you see posted are used for contact via blackberry messenger.

Pre-released phones cannot be activated as normal devices, as RIM will block the PINs of these phones, disabling all data functions.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-22-08 08:56 AM
    Welcome to CrackBerry.

The PIN number allows direct message exchange between devices. It functions much like a chat as opposed to e-mail.

When Research in Motion is considering a new device, they manufacture a limited number that are distributed within the organization. On occasion, some of the prototypes have been diverted and sold to members of the public.

We know of one case where a Bold prototype was diverted and the device was remotely disabled. It was not just the PIN number, the device itself was cut off from all forms of communications.

09-22-08 09:00 AM
    Hello & welcome to CB!!! Enjoy your stay!!!

Every BB has it's own pin. You can use BB messenger to chart with other BB users.
    09-22-08 09:09 AM
    Welcome to Crackberry!!!

09-22-08 09:09 AM
    09-22-08 11:08 AM
    The PIN number is unique to each BlackBerry. You can view yours by going to Options, Status and there it is.
    09-22-08 04:39 PM
    Welcome to CB!

09-23-08 06:25 AM
    Welcome to CB .

09-23-08 06:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD