i am using the storm. i paid for the garmin mobile app and have been mostly pleased but am wondering what is the difference between that and bb maps or google maps? obviously with garmin i get the spoken turn by turn but other than that? i like that with garmin i can enter a location from my contacts and i see i can also do that with bb maps. gps seems to work on all three.

thoughts?
    10-23-09 09:28 PM
    I haven't tried the garmin app but i like google maps much more than bb maps. Google is faster and can give you the view from the ground on available roads. But definitely google over bb.
    10-23-09 09:51 PM
    I use both Google Maps and BBMaps. They are quite different, and complement each other. BBMaps is more of a navigation tool. It has the option to have maps rotate to show direction of travel up or North up. It also has a dashboard that shows you your speed and the number of satellites being tracked. On the con side, its maps just don't look as nice as Google's and are not as detailed.

Google Maps is a more general-purpose mapping application. Its weaknesses are the opposites of BBMap's Strengths: its maps are fixed North up and don't rotate, and it has no dashboard to show you your speed or the number of satellites being tracked. On the plus side, it has beautiful maps and a host of features that BBMaps does not: Street View, which shows an eye-level view of many street locations; Latitude, which lets you share your location with friends in real time, and Public transit locations, such as the location of Metro stops in the Washington, DC area. And finally, Google Maps can approximate your location using only cell towers if you don't have a clear view of the sky. It's not as accurate as GPS, of course, but it's useful.

Garmin is a full-blown mapping and navigation. It has all the navigation capabilities of BBMaps, and more. It lacks Street Views and Satellite Views, but it more than makes up for it with spoken directions, which neither BBMaps nor Google Maps has.
    10-23-09 09:55 PM
    Another bennie of Garmin stand-alone devices (I use a Nuvi and G Maps) is the ability to use, w/voice, and not incur roaming charges. I take my Garmin (with SD card) when I travel overseas and don't incur roaming charges.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-24-09 08:41 AM
    I love google for the search feature it always seems to be up to date.
    10-24-09 08:46 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD