I downloaded the trial version of Garmin Mobil and really like it. I like the turn by turn instructions but what I like most is it has a contacts option and you can get drive to directions without having to type in the address.

I don't mind paying the 100 bucks to get it but what I don't like is the fact you can't or won't be able to move it to another phone after the 1st year and it is at their discretion. So it you have two defective and phones and are given new phones you might not get a new activation code the second time around.

Does anyone know of a program that has a Contacts Tab to pick right from your contacts?

murph
    10-17-09 04:15 PM
    I am not sure if you can get to this link if you are not a member of the Blackberry Lounge (official forum site for rim/bb):

Garmin | Garmin Mobile for BlackBerry - Turn your BlackBerry into a savvy navigator with Garmin Mobile

A 20% discount. There have been discussions and yup, it appears that the discretion lies with garmin but folks have apparently transferred it more than once and to a different BB device.
    10-17-09 09:55 PM
    Thank you. I decided to take it. I hate having to type in the complete address all the time and love the Contacts Button.
    10-18-09 01:05 PM
    Does anyone know if this app will work on a Verizon phone?
    10-19-09 09:03 AM
    Garmin Mobile should work with the Verizon Storm and Tour, since those models have dual-mode GPS. The best thing to do is to install it and do the free trial before actually purchasing it.
    10-19-09 11:48 AM
    Does anyone know if this app will work on a Verizon phone?
    I used the free trial on my Verizon Tour. It worked properly.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-19-09 11:59 AM
    +1.

Now just need to decide if I want to pay what I paid for the phone (almost) for the app.....
    10-19-09 12:02 PM
    The way I look at it, I would have to pay $129+ for a seperate Garmin GPS device. For $79, I can get all the features without having to have multiple devices on my windshield, plus my BB will go with me everywhere without needing to pack up the seperate GPS device.

Since the price is a device-lifetime license, as long as I have my BB, I'll have the Garmin software.
    10-19-09 06:53 PM
    Where did you go for the trial? I did the getmobile. garmin. com
    and was told my phone was not supported. I have a tour on verizon

I used the free trial on my Verizon Tour. It worked properly.

10-19-09 08:44 PM
    Where did you go for the trial? I did the getmobile. garmin. com
    and was told my phone was not supported. I have a tour on verizon
    I downloaded the trial from Garmin's site. They took down the link after about a week. That was 2-3 months ago. Apparently they found too many problems. I didn't have any problems, so I don't know why they took down the link.

10-19-09 09:06 PM
    The way I look at it, I would have to pay $129+ for a seperate Garmin GPS device. For $79, I can get all the features without having to have multiple devices on my windshield, plus my BB will go with me everywhere without needing to pack up the seperate GPS device.

Since the price is a device-lifetime license, as long as I have my BB, I'll have the Garmin software.
    I know. I hear ya. It's just that I am not sure of the value to me right now given that the family has a separate Garmin device which is usually in my wife's car. If I am travelling for business and need it, I can take it.

But I do like the idea of having it. Part of me is also looking at how long I will have my Tour. Likely at least 2 years until my next NE2. And if Garmin is willing to let it be transferred once, then I get 4 years minimum out of it. In that context, it is worth it to me. Just has to pass the WAF.
    10-20-09 07:26 AM
    FYI for all Tour users, the link now works.

11-09-09 04:59 AM
    FYI for all Tour users, the link now works.

thanks, trying it out now. With any luck, my wife will get a gently used Nuvi 760 and I will get another reason to play with my berry!
    11-10-09 07:41 AM
    I am leaning towards the possibility of getting the app now.....but it depends on what my client base is going to be like in 2010 and how much driving I will be doing......
    11-10-09 08:44 AM
    One flaw, at least for me - it does not have any way to force a repeat of the spoken directions. If you miss the spoken prompt or did not quite understand it, you cannot get it to repeat it. But it got me around pretty well last week on 3 occasions. (my standalone TomTom will repeat as necessary)
    11-10-09 09:05 AM
    nav4all and telmap has the same contact address option...

d
    11-10-09 09:28 AM
    well, after using the free trial for a few days, it seems to to the trick. A little bit differently than my Nuvi, but very easy to use.

Does anyone know of a way to have the turn by turn directions go through a bluetooth ear piece? Specifically, I am using a Jawbone Prime and I can't seem to get it to work, when I have no problem using DriveSafe.ly. Any help would be appreciated and I apoligize in advance if this is posted somewhere else, I couldn't find it by searching. PM me if you would rather.
    11-12-09 09:55 AM
    IIRC from when I did the trial, I think there may be an option when you hit the BB key from within Garmin, though I could be wrong.....
    11-12-09 12:38 PM
    I used the Garmin on a walk with my Motorola S9 (stereo BT) and the instructions did come through the headphones - unfortunately, the music does not resume. You have to manually resume music.

The other shortcoming (maybe I mentioned it earlier in this thread), is that you cannot get it to repeat an instruction if you missed it.
    11-12-09 08:07 PM
    IIRC from when I did the trial, I think there may be an option when you hit the BB key from within Garmin, though I could be wrong.....
    Haven't seen it yet. I will put a inquiry into Garmin. Sounds like you didn't purchase it after the trial? If so, why not?
    11-13-09 06:49 AM
    I used the Garmin on a walk with my Motorola S9 (stereo BT) and the instructions did come through the headphones - unfortunately, the music does not resume. You have to manually resume music.

The other shortcoming (maybe I mentioned it earlier in this thread), is that you cannot get it to repeat an instruction if you missed it.
    I think it might be an issue with the type of BT device, I might give one of the visor mounts a try.
    11-13-09 06:50 AM
    Haven't seen it yet. I will put a inquiry into Garmin. Sounds like you didn't purchase it after the trial? If so, why not?
    Just not ready to invest in it.....yet.
    11-13-09 10:07 AM
    Guys I was wondering if the 79 dollar price for blackberry's was going to be a permanent price or if it is just a temporary sale. I just cancelled my VZ Nav for this, but I was going to buy it once I approached a time when i was going to need it. However if this price is like a special price then I may as well buy it now before it changes back to 99
    11-15-09 09:05 PM
    It has been on "special" for quite a long time. So it might be permanent or it might go away tomorrow - there is no way to figure that out.
    11-15-09 11:30 PM
    I use the Jawbone Prime as well. I find that as long as you have the Jawbone connected to the phone before you start Garmin, the directions play through the bluetooth. If you start Garmin, and then connect your bluetooth after it is running, it won't work.

well, after using the free trial for a few days, it seems to to the trick. A little bit differently than my Nuvi, but very easy to use.

Does anyone know of a way to have the turn by turn directions go through a bluetooth ear piece? Specifically, I am using a Jawbone Prime and I can't seem to get it to work, when I have no problem using DriveSafe.ly. Any help would be appreciated and I apoligize in advance if this is posted somewhere else, I couldn't find it by searching. PM me if you would rather.
    11-18-09 08:49 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD