05-25-08 04:01 PM
- Check out this link. Garmin has adjusted their program to be usefu for life on one device, for $100. Better than other nav options running $10 a month. This one has gas prices, and will pay for itself in 10 mos.
Garmin Offers “Lifetime” BlackBerry GPS Navigation for $100 : The Boy Genius Report05-19-08 09:23 AM
- Well, I did find a link to the trial download version and it WRONGLY installed on my Verizon 8830. I say "wrongly" because when I ran it, it prompted me with a message to the effect "does not run on Verizon units and to contact their website."
Their website does not offer a trial only the two versions - $99 for life of BB or the other version.
So I called Garmin, wait on hold with mood music (!!!!) and finally spoke with a Tech who googled the 8830 and Verizon and BB/Rim. Then he spoke with a specialist. Outcome - I could purchase their combined software gps-thingie and that probably would work but they could not offer any option for my Freedom puck. He got into this whole verizon/gps/lock statement and I really don't know the in/out of the gps INSIDE the 8830.
I did offer to "beta" test on my 8830 but he chuckled, said they did their own testing and that was that. So while I think it might work, I don't want to invest my $99 in trying it with my puck/8830 and find it works but I don't like it or maybe it does not even work.05-21-08 05:09 PM
- If you are on Verizon, you MUST use an external GPS puck, EVEN IF YOUR BLACKBERRY HAS INTERNAL GPS.
Your puck will work. They all work the same way, via bluetooth.
There was a 30 day trial version available, which I once downloaded. Should still be one on the site, but that could have changed.05-21-08 11:57 PM
- I emailed garmin, response was, the only carrier supported at this time for the lifetime is sprint. At least for the pearl. Lifetime is lifetime of your BB, not my lifetime, which leaves me out twice, getting a different phone yearly and being on vzw.
And of course, like Patrick pointed out, vzw still needs an external bt fob.
Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com05-22-08 01:37 AM
- So, for Sprint, the GPS software should work with the internal GPS? Another question, is the software compatible with new Curve 8330? I've found that some sofware says it's compatible with the 8330, since it's a Curve, and it really isn't.
Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com05-25-08 04:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD