01-22-09 09:30 PM
35 12
tools
    My VZNavigator finds me in and out of my house. Garmin finds me inside (haven't used it outside yet) and my TomTom finds me inside and outside too. I'll probably stick with VZNavigator as it's easy to use, has great features and I can carry my TomTom just in case. No need to shell out for yet another system. I can't get THAT lost can I?
    12-17-08 05:13 PM
    The garmin works fine i have no problem with it it work great on my storm 9530
    12-17-08 05:15 PM
    This thread confused the crap out of me. I ran a search to find out if Nav4all run thru' the BB browser, and geeze, totally confused about GPS now! Think I'll stick with my old worn-out street directory I've had for 10 years.
    12-17-08 07:29 PM
    I like Nav4All, but the interface kinda sucks, so I use GMaps to get the info, then move it into Nav4All and hey, whaddya know, Voice Turn By Turn.

And I don't have to be in cell range.

And as for the whole A-GPS yes/no thing... I dunna care what it is. Its like the catalytic converter on my car. I don't care what it is, how it works... all I care about is that it is there and works when I need it to.
    12-17-08 07:50 PM
    How do you move Gmap into Nav4All? (assume Gmap means GoogleMaps?)
    12-17-08 08:00 PM
    VZNav is able to acquire a location because it uses cell-only signals. GPS on the other hand, needs a clear view of the sky in order to acquire a location.

You see, the reasoning behind that is a GPS satellite constantly sends three types of information: the time the signal was sent, where it was sent from, and the relative location of all other satellites. When your receiver, the Storm in this case, receives these signals, it decodes them, and using the speed of light, is able to determine where it is on the Earth relative to the little buggers in the sky.

These little buggers also vary in number depending on time of day, i.e. rotation of the earth.

VZNav works similarly, using the triangulation of nearby cell towers.
    Dude, I was looknig at buying the Garmin software, now not so much. Thanks.

BTW, love the Jefferson quote.

Haymoose
    12-17-08 09:11 PM
    Well, for what it's worth, I drove the 250 miles from Houston to Ft. Worth, TX today and used VZNav, Garmin on the Strom, and my trusty Garmin Nuvi 780 (with the MSN traffic receiver).

-The Nuvi 780 routed me around 3 seperate traffic issues and worked as expected the whole way

- VZNav started out ok, but near Waxahatchie, lost signal and we never got it back

- Garmin Storm (on a second Storm unit) gave me exactly the same avoidance as the Nuvi, but is not as quick with street names. This unit DID lose connection near Waxahatchie, but continued to navigate for 15 miles until it picked up signal again. When navigating in downtown Ft. Worth, it actually picked up construction that had closed an exit that did not show up on the Nuvi. I will have to get used to it, but I think this is a keeper. I actually like the idea that it downloads what you need at the time of use, which means that it is always fresh. Also, the saved POI are online, not on the unit, so it seems easier to move then to an alternate unit, if necessary.

For what it's worth...
    12-17-08 10:01 PM
    check out telenav if you dont like garmin, its been updated for the storm and its amazing! i am getting rid of VZW nav for it.
    12-25-08 01:51 PM
    A bottom-line question for me: does the Garmin app do Enhanced Traffic reporting like VZ Navigator does (equivalent, does not have to be exactly the same) ?

Doctor Neutron
    01-22-09 09:21 PM
    i bought the garmin works perfectly! love it. just got back from the olive garden useing it and yes it does ^^
    01-22-09 09:30 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD