We've had some good discussions here on the issues of removable vs. Non-removable batteries in smartphones. I know a lot of us here like having a removable, myself included. It's important to keep in mind that, while having a powerful battery is great (as in Passport or Z30) there are numerous issues and situations it still does not address. To summarize, a couple of these included:
    -Camping trips or other outdoors activities where an outlet is not readily available
    -Various kinds of business trips, especially lengthy flights

I think more could be added.

Anyway, after seeing the recent Galaxy S5 "Wall hugger" commercial, which specifically shows someone changing their battery out in an S5...it just really makes me wonder all over again why BlackBerry has gone away from this. ESPECIALLY, for the upcoming Classic, which will allegedly have a smaller battery than the Z30. We sort of came to a consensus that it's probably a little cheaper and more efficient to integrate the battery into the device, but I am wondering how much cheaper it really is.
    How did Samsung pull it off in their giant phone but not BB?

Posted via CB10
    10-12-14 06:10 PM
    I understand the preference for a removable battery; not having one won't affect my purchasing decisions, as I tend to prefer portable battery packs for their versatility.

But if sealed batteries are cheaper to make, keep in mind that Samsung has the advantage of costs on its side.
    10-12-14 06:17 PM
    So far I never needed to charge my phone before bed and if I need to charge it I have a portable charger pack which chargers my phone to full so it's like having 2 batteries so no need for me to have a removable battery!!

Posted via the BlackBerry Passport
    10-12-14 06:21 PM
    Those portable charging packs are a little annoying though and they make actually using the phone difficult while charging.

Posted via CB10
    10-12-14 07:25 PM
    Those portable charging packs are a little annoying though and they make actually using the phone difficult while charging.

Posted via CB10
    I have an extra long USB cable and have no problems :-)

10-12-14 07:33 PM

Posted via CB10
    Possibly, but beats a reboot to change battery.
    rukdngme likes this.
    10-12-14 07:52 PM
    Possibly, but beats a reboot to change battery.
    Yes exactly :-)

10-12-14 07:54 PM
    I've never swapped a battery. If I was the type of person who carried around two batteries I'd likely also have a portable charger.

Posted via CB10
    10-12-14 07:57 PM
    I understand the preference for a removable battery; not having one won't affect my purchasing decisions, as I tend to prefer portable battery packs for their versatility.

But if sealed batteries are cheaper to make, keep in mind that Samsung has the advantage of costs on its side.
    As this guy said, samsung is a much larger company with a lot more capital, they can easily subsidize the cost of making the phones with a removable battery.

Though I kind of agree that I prefer a removable battery. It kind if reminds me of my BlackBerry curve. My old BlackBerry curve started to run out of battery real quick, and the battery seemed to have grown that the back lid wouldnt even pop back in anymore. I wasnt sure what was going on back then, but I was told that the battery was over charged. Lucky that bestbuy future shop and many shops carry extra batteries for sale. I just switched the battery that was over charged. Seriously I over charged it sooo much that the phone only ran on for 1-2 hours lolol haha that was funny. It made me pretty wary about when to charge my phone though.

It is also pretty convenient to carry an extra battery and just switch it too in my opinion.
    10-12-14 08:02 PM
    What does anyone need a removable battery, when the battery lasts for more than a whole day?. Samsung and BlackBerry are going after different markets.

Posted via CB10
    10-12-14 08:10 PM
    IPhone doesn't or never had a removable battery and they seem to be doing just fine "anybody got a plug for my iPhone"

10-12-14 08:13 PM
    I think there's also the problem with the actual battery cover and fit and finish and the problems which arise with batteries not making a good connection with contact points. BlackBerry has had known problems with the Q10 needing a post-it note or piece of a business card etc to make the battery connection. Removal and replacing the cover several times contributes to the problem in all likelihood -- maybe they want to get away from this problem. Having said all that, I still like a removable battery.

Posted via CB10
    Jonny-R likes this.
    10-12-14 08:20 PM
    I agree with the OP. I have a Z30 and love it. But I would still prefer that it had a removable battery. Stop making excuses as to why you don't NEED a removable battery. Wouldn't it just make more sense if all mobile phones had removable batteries whether you NEED it or not.
    10-12-14 09:21 PM
    Don't need it. I only bought a spare battery for my Z10 cause the battery on that thing was horrible. My Z30 don't need it since it can last me all day. It's not an excuse, it's a fact

Posted via CB10
    10-12-14 09:48 PM
    What does anyone need a removable battery, when the battery lasts for more than a whole day?. Samsung and BlackBerry are going after different markets.

Posted via CB10
    Because all batteries deteriorate, it will not last a day 20 months later. A simple Google search will show you that current battery technology is very flawed and there is a noticeable decrease in battery life within the first year of a phone usage.
    For me,i would like to be able to use the phone even after the original battery fails.

As for the whole portable battery vs battery swap thing, you CAN still use a portable charger with a phone with a removable battery if you want. But it is nice to have the option of having sealed in batteries, and you don't ever have to open the back cover if you don't want to swap the battery.

For me, I hate typing with the wire sticking on the side of my phone. And it truly inhibits the phone's usability. I will take a 2 minute swap and restart time over having to carry around an extra portable battery attached to the phone for a couple hours to get a full charge.

Ultimately, the biggest reason for wanting a removable battery is longevity. I am a broke university student and I cannot afford to get a new flagship phone every year. And I need to be able to switch out the battery once the original battery is done. Since my Q10 and the Z10 have removable batteries, I know I can just get a new battery when the original battery becomes unusable.

Posted via CB10 using BlackBerry Z10
    Last edited by skstrials; 10-12-14 at 11:27 PM.
    10-12-14 11:14 PM
    I think there's also the problem with the actual battery cover and fit and finish and the problems which arise with batteries not making a good connection with contact points. BlackBerry has had known problems with the Q10 needing a post-it note or piece of a business card etc to make the battery connection. Removal and replacing the cover several times contributes to the problem in all likelihood -- maybe they want to get away from this problem. Having said all that, I still like a removable battery.

Posted via CB10
    1. It is possible to have a high fit and finish phone with a removable battery, the Samsung Note series as well as the new LG G3 are praised for its looks and finish, even if they have the removable battery. I would also regard Z10 and Q10 as having a very high fit and finish quality.

2. You already gave the solution for the battery contact issue in your post: sticking a business card in there, IF you have any issues. Internet forums tend to exaggerate the negative topics, and many Q10s and Z10s do not have the battery contact issue, including my own Z10 and Q10.

10-12-14 11:21 PM
    Fair points ^^^.

I hardly ever use the device with it connected. If I had to use my backup power source, it would be to top off while in my work bag... something like that.

The other advantage of a portable unit for my usage is for one that costs less than an extra battery, I can charge OTHER mobile accessories as well: BT keyboard, BT headset/headphones, phablet, tablet etc with the same battery.

So, yeah, removable batteries are cool, but the lack of one won't make me discount a device off the bat like I did years ago. Especially when I look at all those extra batteries I bought that don't work on newer devices LOL. Even with a device with a removable battery, I'm better off investing in a slim portable pack that can be used in the future IMHO.
    10-12-14 11:29 PM
    Don't need it. I only bought a spare battery for my Z10 cause the battery on that thing was horrible. My Z30 don't need it since it can last me all day. It's not an excuse, it's a fact

Posted via CB10
    I don't own the Z30, but I'm with you on the Z10. Not only is the battery life bad, but it deteriorated only after a year of use. I bought an aftermarket ("Hippo brand" if that means anything) battery and all is good again. Now I just swap between the two every month or so to keep fresh.
    10-12-14 11:35 PM
    So, yeah, removable batteries are cool, but the lack of one won't make me discount a device off the bat like I did years ago. Especially when I look at all those extra batteries I bought that don't work on newer devices LOL. Even with a device with a removable battery, I'm better off investing in a slim portable pack that can be used in the future IMHO.
    I think you are missing my point that with a removable battery phone, you have the OPTION of swapping the battery if you want. You can also use the external portable charger as well and never buy another internal battery.
    The whole portable battery vs battery swap argument is moot because phones with removable battery can also be charged with a portable charger, so having an option for battery swap is just having an additional second option.

10-12-14 11:37 PM
    I think you are missing my point that with a removable battery phone, you have the OPTION of swapping the battery if you want. You can also use the external battery as well and never buy another battery.
    The whole portable battery vs battery swap argument is moot because phones with removable battery can also be charged with a portable charger, so having an option for battery swap I just having an additional second option.

Your point isn't missed. It's a valid one. All things being equal, I'd pick a removable battery device over a sealed one.

But I would rather buy an external charger anyway. More usage opportunities, and I have several extra batteries that can only be used on a specific device.

Which brings be back to my original point: I can do without a removable battery if the device is right otherwise. I couldn't always say that.
    10-12-14 11:43 PM
    i believe this is why BlackBerry made those really slim external batteries.

i've got the BlackBerry 2100mah Mobile Power Charger. it's slim and doesn't require a reboot when I need to use it. It's very efficient too. I also have the Z10 Charging bundle too, it's no where as efficient as the MPC, if plugged directly into the micro-usb.

mind you, i would love to have a removable battery, but the battery on the Z30 and Passport are VERY good. For the rare time I'm out all day, I carrying the BB external battery. It does the job great. If I'm on an important phone call, I'd rather plug in an external battery than drop the call, shut-down, restart, call back in.
    10-12-14 11:47 PM
    i believe this is why BlackBerry made those really slim external batteries.

i've got the BlackBerry 2100mah Mobile Power Charger. it's slim and doesn't require a reboot when I need to use it. It's very efficient too. I also have the Z10 Charging bundle too, it's no where as efficient as the MPC, if plugged directly into the micro-usb.

mind you, i would love to have a removable battery, but the battery on the Z30 and Passport are VERY good. For the rare time I'm out all day, I carrying the BB external battery. It does the job great. If I'm on an important phone call, I'd rather plug in an external battery than drop the call, shut-down, restart, call back in.
    I mostly agree. I'd rather avoid the reboot.
    10-12-14 11:51 PM
    We've had some good discussions here on the issues of removable vs. Non-removable batteries in smartphones. I know a lot of us here like having a removable, myself included. It's important to keep in mind that, while having a powerful battery is great (as in Passport or Z30) there are numerous issues and situations it still does not address. To summarize, a couple of these included:
    -Camping trips or other outdoors activities where an outlet is not readily available
    -Various kinds of business trips, especially lengthy flights

I think more could be added.

Anyway, after seeing the recent Galaxy S5 "Wall hugger" commercial, which specifically shows someone changing their battery out in an S5...it just really makes me wonder all over again why BlackBerry has gone away from this. ESPECIALLY, for the upcoming Classic, which will allegedly have a smaller battery than the Z30. We sort of came to a consensus that it's probably a little cheaper and more efficient to integrate the battery into the device, but I am wondering how much cheaper it really is.
    How did Samsung pull it off in their giant phone but not BB?

Posted via CB10
    I don't know about you, but when I go camping, it's so I can do something outdoors, and look at nature, and practice my survival training. Not stare at my phone and play angrybirds while surrounded by trees... But that's just me, I'm weird, I know...
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    10-12-14 11:54 PM
    I'd say that this is a problem of business. If they make the battery removable, not only do they have to manufacture the battery accessories they also have to market them. With the current market penetration they simply can't afford to do that.

They simply get by with large battery in the first place

Posted via CB10
    10-13-14 12:17 AM
    I'd say that this is a problem of business. If they make the battery removable, not only do they have to manufacture the battery accessories they also have to market them. With the current market penetration they simply can't afford to do that.

They simply get by with large battery in the first place

Posted via CB10
    That little cat is so cute, lol.
    10-13-14 01:25 AM
33 12