View Poll Results: Does Samsung Galaxy S3 Having a Flashing RED Message Light make you want to switch?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Wow I didn't know that .. yea gimme one

6 25.00%
  • Nah, Just more people copying BlackBerry

10 41.67%
  • Hmm thats interesting

4 16.67%
  • What! WTF isn't that thing Patented?

1 4.17%
  • Let me try one first ...

3 12.50%
    So the Galaxy S3 has a Flashing Red Light for missed messages and emails does that give you a reason to switch camps .. or just more people copying BlackBerry

Some have said they wonder why iPhone has never followed in these steps

what are your thoughts on this ..
    Last edited by vx1; 07-29-12 at 01:12 PM.
    07-29-12 01:09 PM
    Copying Blackberry?
    07-29-12 01:12 PM
    Android devices have had notification lights ever since the G1. Not all of them, but a lot.
    07-29-12 01:17 PM
    Op
    I hate to burst your bubble. My Droid one had notification lights so did my Droid 3 so does my Razr. I also had speech to text on all of them before Apple did.
    07-29-12 01:26 PM
    I've had three Android phones (Thunderbolt, Galaxy Nexus, and Galaxy S III), and they all have LED notifications.

Sent from my SGS III
    07-29-12 01:32 PM
    It doesn't change a thing for me. I understand the appeal of android devices, I got one to try it out. And right now that Galaxy Note is just sitting in a box right now, ready to be sold though. haha.

The notification lights doesn't change a thing. Though its one of the things that i like about BlackBerry devices, its not the only thing. Its the BlackBerry experience that i'm interested in. You can put a notification light, and physical keyboard on the iPhone and I still would not go back to iOS, its just not the platform for me. Previously i had been an iphone user for years. Ever since the iphone 3G came out. I only realised what i really wanted after trying a BlackBerry. Afterwards i tried Android ICS and Windows Phone 7.5, still i prefer my BlackBerry.

The point is, its the BlackBerry experience. A combination of multiple factors that makes a smartphone a BlackBerry. Not just one particularly trait.
    07-29-12 02:28 PM
    It doesn't change a thing for me. I understand the appeal of android devices, I got one to try it out. And right now that Galaxy Note is just sitting in a box right now, ready to be sold though. haha.

The notification lights doesn't change a thing. Though its one of the things that i like about BlackBerry devices, its not the only thing. Its the BlackBerry experience that i'm interested in. You can put a notification light, and physical keyboard on the iPhone and I still would not go back to iOS, its just not the platform for me. Previously i had been an iphone user for years. Ever since the iphone 3G came out. I only realised what i really wanted after trying a BlackBerry. Afterwards i tried Android ICS and Windows Phone 7.5, still i prefer my BlackBerry.

The point is, its the BlackBerry experience. A combination of multiple factors that makes a smartphone a BlackBerry. Not just one particularly trait.
    A very well articulated statement as to why you prefer a Blackberry!
    Alex_Hong likes this.
    07-29-12 03:25 PM
    None of the above. I have a DROID Bionic that I like, but it is just keeping me company until BB10 is here. As for the Galay S3, I was very UNDERwhelmed when I saw and played with the phone. I don't see anything on the phone that is worth giving up what I have now or worth changing my future BB plans. Even a flashing light. LOL!
    JR A likes this.
    07-29-12 03:43 PM
    The notification light is nice, but what would be better is if the native Android mail app could handle push email on non Gmail accounts.
    07-29-12 05:46 PM
    Android devices have had notification lights ever since the G1. Not all of them, but a lot.
    This. Samsung tended to not put Notification lights, but almost all HTC devices I've owned had them. Motorola devices have multi-colored LED notification lights, even. Sony devices have LED notification lights, but I'm not so well versed in them to know if they do different colors. I think the Nexus One had one (I think integrated into the trackball?).

Samsung putting that in (finally) is just them doing what users have been complaining to them to do since the original Galaxy S. Doesn't cost much to put an RBG LED Notification light in a smartphone :-P
    07-30-12 02:16 PM
    The notification light is nice, but what would be better is if the native Android mail app could handle push email on non Gmail accounts.
    It can.

It's called Exchange ActiveSync. Hotmail supports it. GMail Supports it. Exchange obviously supports it.

Yahoo! has their own PUSH client on Android which works fine.

So you can get GMail (Native Client), Yahoo! (Official Client), and Hotmail (EAS in Stock Email App, Microsoft/Seven also have an Official PUSH client that uses EAS and can overcome limitations in older phones like lack of HTML Email for Hotmail EAS on some devices) pushed to Android.

I'm not sure where you get your information from...

Additionally, create a label (i.e. "via iCloud") and you can set Hotmail to forward email to GMail, but keep a copy on the iCloud servers if you don't want to set up another email account. Most relatively recent Android devices have Universal Inbox in the stock mail app, though.

I have my Hotmail set up with EAS and my iCloud set up with IMAP on my Skyrocket. Works well :-)
    BlackBerry Guy likes this.
    07-30-12 02:21 PM
    Like N8ter said, you need active sync.

The only reasons BBs can do it is because they are connected to BIS. If they had a normal data plan like every other smartphone (no RIM servers doing all the work), they wouldn't have push anything AFAIK.
    07-30-12 03:13 PM
    Like N8ter said, you need active sync.

The only reasons BBs can do it is because they are connected to BIS. If they had a normal data plan like every other smartphone (no RIM servers doing all the work), they wouldn't have push anything AFAIK.
    Also, let's not forget that a lot of enterprise companies use Good Technology to accommodate Android (and iOS) using employees who can't use BES. I still think a BB is the best overall for handling enterprise email, but the gap has certainly narrowed sufficiently that for most employees, it's no gap at all.
    07-31-12 06:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD