And the Blackberry was the first thing noted. It appears that most people see other people with gadgets as possible jerks, rather that the tech savvy, assertive people that they really are.

Gadgets that make you look like a jerk - Tech and gadgets- msnbc.com
    12-16-08 09:34 AM
    i SO agree with the segway...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-16-08 09:38 AM
    They're like the work version of the iPhone...
    He's got that backwards: the iPhone is like the toy version of the BB.
    12-16-08 09:39 AM
    i SO agree with the segway...
    I agree with him on the Borg earpiece.
    12-16-08 09:40 AM
    I also agree... nothing more annoying than having to stand beside someone looking straight at you and speaking then realizing they are not talking to you. I often only realize this after a "What?"

Also not mentioned - people who use their cell phone/iPod to play music as they walk around, especially if it is so loud that everyone has to listen to it. No once cares if you have the latest/coolest song...

But BBs def. get a bad rap in the article. The author(s) must not have one...
    12-16-08 09:51 AM
    I hate it when people talk $hit about things I love.

12-16-08 09:55 AM
    Unfortunately I can't see the article from my BB browser. All I get is the heading and subheading followed by links to outher interesting links.

So in this case I guess it's not me that looks like a ****, it's my Blackberry that's being a ****...

12-16-08 09:57 AM

Is this the kind of ear piece we are talking about?
    12-16-08 10:06 AM
    12-16-08 10:10 AM
    lol yes people who listen to their ipods non stop are a little strange to me. like is it necessary to listen to it while you're talking to people?
    12-16-08 10:13 AM
    I agree with the constant BlueTooth in people's ear when they are just sitting around not on the phone. I have a guy in my gad classes that wears it all through the 5-hour lecture every week - not on the phone.

For those on mobile:

BlackBerry
    BlueTooth
    TiVo
    Apple MacBook Air
    iPod Accessories
    Linux
    Segway
    12-16-08 10:18 AM
    I disagree with the whole BlackBerry's aren't cool thing.

If John Mayer uses a BB, it MUST be cool.

'Nuff Said.

Besides, The Majority of people now a days have an obsession with technology.

Kids that are obsessed with their phones will turn into adults that are obsessed with their phones.

So eventually this whole "technocentric" type of community will go mainstream. (Not like it hasn't already anyways.)
    12-16-08 10:19 AM

That is disgusting lol
    12-16-08 10:22 AM
    I saw that article last week...thought it was humorous.
    12-16-08 10:27 AM
    I agree with the constant BlueTooth in people's ear when they are just sitting around not on the phone. I have a guy in my gad classes that wears it all through the 5-hour lecture every week - not on the phone.

For those on mobile:

BlackBerry
    BlueTooth
    TiVo
    Apple MacBook Air
    iPod Accessories
    Linux
    Segway
    I think the basic premise of the article is wrong. Jerks are jerks, with or without their gadgets. Their gadgets just make them easier to spot.

That said... a big thumbs up for including Bluetooth in the article.
    12-16-08 03:42 PM
    In Europe having a BB is seen as being really into internet, wifi and high tech. But without being a nerd or ****. Until recently only CEO's used a BB! (they can be jerks I know)
    Jerks on this side of the atlantic are found in the category:

iPod
    iPhone
    iMac
    Linux
    MSN Messenger apps
    Facebook account (as we have lots and better EU alternatives)
    and yes ofcourse....
    BLUETOOTH !!!
    Bluetooth earpieces and the Parrot
    Oh, and TomTom on a small cars and TomTom on Nokia
    12-16-08 03:53 PM
    Bluetooth FTW.

12-16-08 11:47 PM
    the truth is..

that is the long truth because it made people take there business with them..

However..

Now its more common to have email on the go from all sorts of people..

so that theory is slowly dying off..

RIM is heading into a consumer market as well as sticking with there business market..

in 5 years there will be no comparison or any diffference between alot of different phone models cause instead of most phones being dumb phones it will be most phones are smart phones..
    12-17-08 02:04 AM
    Did TiVo really need to be on that list? NEVER heard anyone rave about how good TiVo is...

In the end I just sum that article up with a big 'ol "WHO CARES?"
    12-17-08 02:11 AM
    [QUOTE=UncleMike;1195964]I think the basic premise of the article is wrong. Jerks are jerks, with or without their gadgets. Their gadgets just make them easier to spot.

So true. People then use that as a venting point. They associate everyone with a berry as the first **** who did what ever that annoyed them.

I bet the person who wrote the article has an iPhone...boo
    12-17-08 08:34 AM
    Jerks are jerks, with or without their gadgets.
    Agreed. But certain things make it easier to express their "jerkitude" and to
    that end I say:

1) BT headsets. If you are not the friggin Time Life Operator, put that ish away

2) BlackBerry. The device that has elevated avoiding actual human contact
    to a whole nother level. Actually it's not the device, it's the people that have
    bought into this "I must always have in my hand", "It's an addiction" crap that
    have relegated the venerable BB to the annals of "jerkitude"

No need to flame or attempt to change my mind on point #2. It will be a
    total waste of your and my time.
    12-17-08 08:47 AM
    I love my bluetooth, but I don't like talking on it in public. It's not that I worry about someone thinking I'm "important", it's just a hassle to try and look away so people don't think I'm talking to them, or answering questions or trying to explain what it is. So it's just easier not to wear it when out and about. And I definitely don't thing it looks "cool". But at home or in my car, it lets me do pretty much whatever I want without having to hold my phone at the same time. It's just a tool...but for me, one that is almost indispensable.
    Last edited by LuvMyBB; 12-17-08 at 09:37 AM.
    12-17-08 09:28 AM
    And another point: there are two main reasons I carry a BB everywhere.

The first is because it lets me have all of my information in one place. I'm definitely not trying to look important and couldn't care less if something thinks that. I just like the way BB does it.

The second reason is because it's just a great *phone*. Forget the PDA stuff...the phone capabilities, signal strength, sound quality, battery life, etc., are as good as I've ever had. And I've been using mobile phones for about 15 years.
    12-17-08 09:31 AM
    I don't agree I have never met someone with a blackberry that I didn't like. Most of the jerks I know aren't tech savvy.

12-17-08 09:33 AM
    So what does it mean if I am replying to this post on my MacBook Air that is running the latest Linux OS and talking on my BlackBerry really loud via Bluetooth to someone who works in my iPod accessory kiosk about my TiVo, all while riding my Segway through the mall?
    12-17-08 09:48 AM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD