Kinda a long read.....

Well the other day I decided to venture into Future Shop and get a look at this new Ipad (not interested in buying, just curious to see this new screen, I have a playbook) I start talking to the sales rep and he is an apple fan-boy to the max. So we start talking about the devices. (BB and Iphone/Ipad) He started off by mentioning how many apps there are for apple, my reply, "I can do anything with my torch that you can with your iphone".
    He starts off with siri, I reply "I have vlingo, and it works, siri isn't perfected"
    Next, I can facetime. I reply, " I can video chat with my playbook, can you BBM?" He replied we have imessage.
    He mentions a few other non important apps, which we also have similar ones for BB. IE syncing your contact, and calendar. He mentions the cloud, I show him how I have box.com with 50 GB of storage. I sync with google sync on my phone and with OS 2.0 all contacts and (multiple) calendars go on Playbook. So now that I have his attention, I pull out my BB Playbook, and say can you do this with your ipad? Show him Bridge, he knew about that. Then show him the remote control option (new to him) then the open on playbook, also new to him. Open up Poynt and show him how it is connected to my BB. He is nodding his head and saying 'I never knew Blackberry could do all this stuff. I then mentioned how with the Bridge I can use my playbook anywhere there is cellular coverage without paying extra on my data plan or needing a 3g or 4g option on the playbook. If I want to video chat with someone I turn on wifi hotspot, because I always have my playbook because it is so portable. I also explain to him how my playbook is set up as a mapped network drive and can access it from any computer in my house, add/remove/edit files and it is all done wirelessly over the wifi network..
    Just before I am ready to leave he says I got it, I know what your phone can't do. You can't play your movies, music or show pictures on your tv like I can with my apple tv. I reply "Well actually with the new OS 7.1 they added DLNA and when I am in my house I can access all that info on my phone right thru my PS3 like it was a media server... He admits to me that Blackberry seems to be alot further ahead then he thought they were. And after that comment I say "thanks for the chat" and I was outta there.

BLACKBERRY FOR THE WIN!!!!!!!!!
    03-21-12 06:21 AM
    ROFLMAO Either a true story or a well-spun yarn but a fun read regardless.
    TroyPoseidon likes this.
    03-21-12 06:25 AM
    hits it outta the park
    03-21-12 07:25 AM
    Definitely some good ammo for a "my phone is better than yours because..." debate. Thanks
    03-21-12 07:33 AM
    ROFLMAO Either a true story or a well-spun yarn but a fun read regardless.
    All true, he was determined to show me how his apple products were superior to my Blackberry......... I felt like taking out my BB and showing him my Whippoh app.....

http://appworld.blackberry.com/webst...ippoh/?lang=en
    03-21-12 07:57 AM
    If RIM did better job with advertisements there would be no need to have debates. IPhone is viewed as all mighty machine that does EVERYTHING and BB is viewed as phone that sends emails. RIMs faul really.

Hope they do better job on this front with BB10 because I seriously plan on getting some stocks soon.
    03-21-12 08:31 AM
    We are doing renovations in my office and during this time I have to go to temporary facilities in a cramped conference room. I lost my 2nd screen for my computer owing to amount of space I have allocated. So I brought everything I have at home to help including Playbook 64gb, 9810, Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 and Galaxy Note. I wanted to put Bloomberg TV on my Playbook as we also lost the TV from the Trading Room - get the message Bloomberg TV is not permissioned to be played on the Playbook. That starts everything off on the wrong foot as I wanted to use an Android app called "Screen Slider" as my 2nd screen and it's not available on the playbook and hasn't been offered in the App World (it's a paid app). I use Skype on my 2nd screen with the webcam, can't do that with my PlayBook or the 9810 so it's on the Note now. Right now both Android devices put to good use and the BlackBerries are waiting on something to do. What irks me so much is the PlayBook is every bit as capable as the GT and yet I can't use it as the tool it's supposed to be. I get grumpy with these "my BlackBerry can do anything you can do" because in my daily life that has proven not to be the case, much to my chagrin, and not one of these applications is as a so called "toy" these are very functional things I need from my tablet. I keep saying these things hoping Thorsten has his people reading and taking notes, I would like nothing more than the ability to use my PlayBook with any task I need, much as the GT does.
    03-21-12 08:45 AM
    Haha great post! Just goes to show what a little knowledge and experience can get you! I'm not knocking Apple, I love their products, but they're not the ONLY option. And yes, RIM has some work to do as far as marketing and getting a few more big-name apps on the Playbook, but until then, and now, you can't beat the Playbook for the money!

And before I get flamed, no, I don't have a Playbook, yet, but am quite familiar with them in my line of work.
    03-21-12 07:52 PM
    I figured he would have went for Netflix and Skype as the holy grail...
    03-21-12 08:11 PM
    Entertaining story. Thanks for sharing.
    03-21-12 08:12 PM
    So you went in not to buy something but to be a RIM/Blackberry fanboy, and engage in a debate with someone 1) trying to make a living, and 2) being paid to sell the product in front of him. The cult of RIM is certainly still alive and well even if the company is struggling. Always ironic when a fanboy calls someone else a fanboy....
    03-21-12 08:16 PM
    To the OP......He shoots....He SCORES. Great story and great knowledge of the PlayBook
    03-21-12 08:17 PM
    To the OP......He shoots....He SCORES. Great story and great knowledge of the PlayBook
    ya no kidding...i think RIM should offer him a sales job for sure!!!
    03-21-12 08:40 PM
    Can your pb double as a woman pleaser?lol
    03-21-12 08:43 PM
    Can your pb double as a woman pleaser?lol
    My wife was very pleased when I surprised her with her very own playbook. She thought I did it out of kindness but in reality I did it because I was tired of sharing my PB with her!! PAWS OFF!! I'm selfish when it comes to my gadgets!
    03-21-12 11:37 PM
    So you went in not to buy something but to be a RIM/Blackberry fanboy, and engage in a debate with someone 1) trying to make a living, and 2) being paid to sell the product in front of him. The cult of RIM is certainly still alive and well even if the company is struggling. Always ironic when a fanboy calls someone else a fanboy....
    I went in to take a look at all the hoopla about the 'new ipad'. The guy came up to me praising the ipad like it was the end all of tablets and nothing can compare to it. I was just enlightening him that there are other choices and some better out on the market. I don't go promoting BB but I will defend if someone is trying to put it down. I like my playbook and torch, if someone uses something else that they like, then great. Just don't come on me telling me how much better iphone is than my Blackberry.
    03-22-12 12:08 PM
    I went in to take a look at all the hoopla about the 'new ipad'. The guy came up to me praising the ipad like it was the end all of tablets and nothing can compare to it. I was just enlightening him that there are other choices and some better out on the market. I don't go promoting BB but I will defend if someone is trying to put it down. I like my playbook and torch, if someone uses something else that they like, then great. Just don't come on me telling me how much better iphone is than my Blackberry.
    So the employee was promoting the newest released product. This is pretty typical.
    03-22-12 12:16 PM
    So the employee was promoting the newest released product. This is pretty typical.
    Read the OP.

While it may by typical to push the newest devices, there is never an excuse to start bashing other companies or products (whatever they are) to a potential customer.

Easy to lose sales that way. Retail 101
    up488 likes this.
    03-22-12 12:42 PM
    It was the way he changed his tune when he found out I preferred Blackberry. He wanted to show me the superiority of the Iphone, which didn't go well. Those apple people are pretty sheltered... LOL
    03-22-12 01:07 PM
    Read the OP.

While it may by typical to push the newest devices, there is never an excuse to start bashing other companies or products (whatever they are) to a potential customer.

Easy to lose sales that way. Retail 101
    Fine I will reread and comment as I go along.

Kinda a long read.....

Well the other day I decided to venture into Future Shop and get a look at this new Ipad (not interested in buying, just curious to see this new screen, I have a playbook) I start talking to the sales rep and he is an apple fan-boy to the max.
    No bashing yet.

So we start talking about the devices. (BB and Iphone/Ipad) He started off by mentioning how many apps there are for apple, my reply, "I can do anything with my torch that you can with your iphone".
    No bashing yet.

He starts off with siri, I reply "I have vlingo, and it works, siri isn't perfected"
    Next, I can facetime. I reply, " I can video chat with my playbook, can you BBM?" He replied we have imessage.
    On a side note, BBM and imessage are a wash. The only advantage is who in your circle of friends has what device. If I have an iphone and all my friends have blackberrys, imessage is useless. The same holds true for the opposite.

He mentions a few other non important apps, which we also have similar ones for BB. IE syncing your contact, and calendar. He mentions the cloud, I show him how I have box.com with 50 GB of storage. I sync with google sync on my phone and with OS 2.0 all contacts and (multiple) calendars go on Playbook. So now that I have his attention, I pull out my BB Playbook, and say can you do this with your ipad? Show him Bridge, he knew about that. Then show him the remote control option (new to him) then the open on playbook, also new to him. Open up Poynt and show him how it is connected to my BB. He is nodding his head and saying 'I never knew Blackberry could do all this stuff. I then mentioned how with the Bridge I can use my playbook anywhere there is cellular coverage without paying extra on my data plan or needing a 3g or 4g option on the playbook. If I want to video chat with someone I turn on wifi hotspot, because I always have my playbook because it is so portable. I also explain to him how my playbook is set up as a mapped network drive and can access it from any computer in my house, add/remove/edit files and it is all done wirelessly over the wifi network..
    Just before I am ready to leave he says I got it, I know what your phone can't do. You can't play your movies, music or show pictures on your tv like I can with my apple tv. I reply "Well actually with the new OS 7.1 they added DLNA and when I am in my house I can access all that info on my phone right thru my PS3 like it was a media server... He admits to me that Blackberry seems to be alot further ahead then he thought they were. And after that comment I say "thanks for the chat" and I was outta there.

BLACKBERRY FOR THE WIN!!!!!!!!!

I didn't see one piece of evidence that he bashed anything. He simply said, look at all the things this new device can do, sounds like he's doing his job. Retail 101

Edit: Info added

If the salesperson did all of this in a sarcastic or condescending tone, please disregard this post.
    Last edited by brucep1; 03-22-12 at 01:11 PM. Reason: info added
    03-22-12 01:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD