I am waiting for my q10 to be delivered. I have tried all types of phones and am willing to give up lots of apps/convineince just to have a hardware keyboard on my phone. I'll be happy to use my q10 just for messaging, good camera, and whatever else I can do on the phone. Of course no one can predict what will happen but the future of BB, specifically software updates and continued developer support is up in the air. If you don't believe that then you can stop reading now and move on. I'd like to know if anyone has knowledge of any future plans for QWERTY devices by other companies. Not sliders (vertical or horizontal), but portrait fixed devices like the q10. I think I will always want a device with a keyboard and just worry as to what will happen if the q10 is the last of its kind.
    10-08-13 01:14 PM
    I am waiting for my q10 to be delivered. I have tried all types of phones and am willing to give up lots of apps/convineince just to have a hardware keyboard on my phone. I'll be happy to use my q10 just for messaging, good camera, and whatever else I can do on the phone. Of course no one can predict what will happen but the future of BB, specifically software updates and continued developer support is up in the air. If you don't believe that then you can stop reading now and move on. I'd like to know if anyone has knowledge of any future plans for QWERTY devices by other companies. Not sliders (vertical or horizontal), but portrait fixed devices like the q10. I think I will always want a device with a keyboard and just worry as to what will happen if the q10 is the last of its kind.
    It always varies, but there have been some Android QWERTY in the past, and I expect that if BB exits hardware someone will try to fill that small segment of the market.
    10-08-13 01:29 PM
    It always varies, but there have been some Android QWERTY in the past, and I expect that if BB exits hardware someone will try to fill that small segment of the market.
    I really hope so. Maybe it was just the fact that BB was still in business that none of these other companies made a good effort. Samsung has some good looking form factor qwerty phones with android, but all were low spec and generally not available in the USA. Maybe Samsung will step up. They seem to be the most open to trying new things and doing them quickly.
    10-08-13 01:32 PM
    [2�] there will be a qwerty made by someone @ least for the time being, even if it's a flip phone type,,, as the generations progress, they will go away, as the group of people weaned on touchscreens becomes larger... [/2�]
    sevoman likes this.
    10-08-13 02:19 PM
    When the q10 goes down I price pick up a couple that's what I'll do, that or a few 9900's.

Posted via CB10
    sevoman likes this.
    10-08-13 02:21 PM
    When the q10 goes down I price pick up a couple that's what I'll do, that or a few 9900's.

Posted via CB10
    those q10's will last a long long time, but if there is no further OS updates and developer support, they will just be messaging phones. i was hoping for something more up to date with greater developer support. as far as being 'future proof', id expect any phone to at least be able to have OS updates and be compatible with new apps for 2 years. Ideally, it would be same form factor as q10 (maybe bigger screen), running android made by a company that is dedicated to that line of qwerty phones. i hope samsung picks up qwerty phones as a new 'line' and keeps them coming.
    10-08-13 02:27 PM
    I really believe BlackBerry will be sold off in parts. I hope someone buys the qwerty patent and continues to make these type of phones.

Posted via CB10
    10-08-13 02:54 PM
    I agree. I had a 9790 and I loved it because I mostly used to browse and write LOTS. The thing is though, it wasn't just the keyboard it was the software as well. Android just doesn't cut it, BB had some awesome email/social networking integration, and worked very well alongside windows. The executive feel to it gave it a certain mystery.

I am going to enjoy a large screen for watching media on my android I'll be getting, but although I'll be able to browse well I won't be able to type large amounts on it like my blackberry. I don't think this phone can be replaced, and in the current phone market there is no room for some new brand like blackberry to move in.

The best possible thing to come out of this is a new company making blackberry style handsets with a completely re-worked executive style android OS. That could actually have a chance and take off.
    10-08-13 08:37 PM