View Poll Results: would you want touch, flip, bb10 phone?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

24 42.86%
  • no

32 57.14%
    Would anyone else be stoked if they came out with a blackberry with the bb10 software, and it being flip? full qwerty of course, and possible touch screen with it? That would allow it to have the keyboard that we all love, better protection of the screen, and a very large screen. I like the newest bold out that has touch screen, but the screen is not that big. if it was a flip, maybe like the style (but maybe more stylish) it would be larger. has anyone heard of this? I saw a post about it somewhere, but it didn't seem legit.
    let me know your thoughts about it and if you find anything!
    thanks
    sleepngbear likes this.
    03-02-12 11:11 PM
    I own the blackberry style right now. I understand the phone didn't sell well. I think it is a great phone that would appeal to a lot of people that need a clamshell type phone or miss the old hard flip phones. I think lack of marketing was the reason the phone failed.

I also think with all the touchscreen phones and qwerty phones flooding the market, a clamshell phone might stand out from the crowd. RIM should think about selling it as some sort of specialty phone that you can order separately and take it into your provider (much like the Porsche phone). I'm a little worried that the new BB10s might simply get drowned out in a sea of phones.
    03-02-12 11:19 PM
    I own the blackberry style right now. I understand the phone didn't sell well. I think it is a great phone that would appeal to a lot of people that need a clamshell type phone or miss the old hard flip phones. I think lack of marketing was the reason the phone failed.

I also think with all the touchscreen phones and qwerty phones flooding the market, a clamshell phone might stand out from the crowd. RIM should think about selling it as some sort of specialty phone that you can order separately and take it into your provider (much like the Porsche phone). I'm a little worried that the new BB10s might simply get drowned out in a sea of phones.

Don't get me wrong I think the Style is a great phone, and I completely agree with you about the marketing for it. Sadly my carrier didn't ever have it available. I am agreeing with you on the clamshell sticking out too, clamshell with a touch screen would be a hit. How many people do you know that have iphones and other touch screens with the screen cracked. I think a Style 2 would be a hit, well maybe name it differently since the first one didn't do so hot, but regardless.
    03-02-12 11:27 PM
    In some form yes but not like the style, that just looks old. Something like a tablet/phone/pda, we'll thought out and versatile.
    03-02-12 11:45 PM
    In some form yes but not like the style, that just looks old. Something like a tablet/phone/pda, we'll thought out and versatile.
    Yes, I know what you are saying. When I said style type i meant more just along the lines of it being clamshell. I like a flip phone, no dialing (I can never remember to lock my phone everytime, ha), not easily cracked screen, and what not.
    03-02-12 11:51 PM
    RIM is not in a good position to go on improvising on what might be a hit and what not. While it would be nice for RIM to do a BlackBerry for all likes, I see no chance out there for this kind of shape. Not even for a Bold-ish type. All people (non BB users) out there care about is the iPhonesque type of device...
    03-03-12 01:16 AM
    They Style failed because it was a cdma only phone, have they made a gsm version and sent it to europe it would've sold like hotcakes, I would probably own one instead of this 9900 right now.
    03-03-12 01:59 AM
    The lack of widespread carrier use was definitely a drawback on the marketing of the Style. It is really a very nice device, and I've gotten positive comments from people who always thought it was fugly in pictures, on how light and roomy it is in your hands.

It is the first BlackBerry I've had that hasn't had the T-Y keys wear down after 5 or so months of heavy scrolling, and is quite comfortable for extended typing sessions, once you get used to the flatter keyboard.

I am gonna miss it when I upgrade.
    9of13 likes this.
    03-03-12 03:05 AM
    I would JUMP on a flip BB. Agree with BK, lack of carrier support impacted it negatively.
    03-03-12 03:24 AM
    RIM is not in a good position to go on improvising on what might be a hit and what not. While it would be nice for RIM to do a BlackBerry for all likes, I see no chance out there for this kind of shape. Not even for a Bold-ish type. All people (non BB users) out there care about is the iPhonesque type of device...
    I don't think blackberries hope lies in trying to beat apple at their own game.
    Dapper37 likes this.
    03-03-12 03:26 AM
    I live in a CDMA only area. When the Style hit it was HUGE. Finally we were giv'n another option of smart phone of ther then the 8530....it lasted about two months. There was wipe spread issues with it which lead it to go belly up.

personally i didnt like the clam shell idea just not my cup of tea.
    03-03-12 03:26 AM
    I think it's mostly about the software on the phone. Excellent QNX software would work on a flip phone like the style
    03-03-12 08:01 AM
    I don't think blackberries hope lies in trying to beat apple at their own game.
    I agree and also disagree with you. While the hope may not directly rely on imitating Apple doing so might give RIM a little traction to start moving forward. Customers are "sold" on the all-touch devices with a lot of fun and entertainment available. So, I think that trying to appeal to these customers (who are a pretty big number) might be a good move. The "cool" factor is what grabs people in this market. For me, there are two products that are not trying to copy Apple, and they are RIM w/BlackBerry and Microsoft w/Windows Phone, and certainly those are the *not so well on mobile market* companies.
    Last edited by kemj; 03-03-12 at 10:04 AM.
    03-03-12 09:41 AM
    I think that they do need to have something that is different. IF they just come out with all touch screen phones, with no difference from an iphone,t hen what will make people get this one rather then the iphones? price? even so there are other all touch phones out there that have been out longer that they would go to before a bb. i think they need a new design, i like the bold touch, i think that is very innovative, since its got the qwerty and the touch (also with the slide one). I also would be interested in if they made that bold-x that some one dreamberried. I think that would be a hit, because it would be so different from others out there.
    03-03-12 10:50 AM
    The original pearl flip was my favorite blackberry period. Being that I am in the construction field the flip device with sure type was awesome. The last one was only on sprint which limited who could own one. I would hope RIM brings back the Flip!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    momofteme and jkomo001 like this.
    03-03-12 10:56 AM
    i agree, the style was a great device. I wish they would have a flip bb10 phone ,i would jump right on it. but i also agree that rim may not be thinking of experimenting when the the company is treading water like they are.but somthing like a flip would sure catch my eye in a heartbeat.
    jkomo001 likes this.
    03-03-12 11:13 AM
    I know there are folks for whom a clamshell device would be a good form factor. However, at this point, that form factor would be very much a niche product, not a big seller amongst mainstream consumers.

When a typical consumer nowadays thinks of a clamshell, he probably thinks of this:
    03-03-12 11:37 AM
    Bring on the BB10 Style I would love to see some sort of camera lens cover that would expose the lens when you open up the phone, and it would be awesome if it was shock proof and at least water resistant, if not waterproof, BRING IT ON! When I bought my 9650 rumors were floating around about the Style, but I didn't think it would ever be built, otherwise I would have waited for it.
    03-03-12 11:41 AM
    I would love to see a flip with the same internals, keyboard and touch screen size as the 9900, plus that little aux display on the outside. I can't just drop my Bold or any other 'traditional' smart phone in my pocket; got keys on one side and change on the other that would frak up, well, everything. That would not be a problem with something that folds up closed.

Yeah, it would surely be a niche product ... within a niche form factor. But I'd buy one.
    jkomo001 likes this.
    03-03-12 01:49 PM
    I would love to see a flip with the same internals, keyboard and touch screen size as the 9900, plus that little aux display on the outside. I can't just drop my Bold or any other 'traditional' smart phone in my pocket; got keys on one side and change on the other that would frak up, well, everything. That would not be a problem with something that folds up closed.

Yeah, it would surely be a niche product ... within a niche form factor. But I'd buy one.
    that's what i'm thinkin, a niche product, that we will go for. well atleast about half of us would, looking at the poll. the protection and the larger screen will be a hit. still with the trackpad and keyboard. the Style did not optimize the top half of the flip, because it wasn't alls creen.
    03-03-12 01:59 PM
    No. I didn't like flip phones back when Motorola was big and I don't like them now. I never like the flip design by any brand.

James
    03-03-12 02:48 PM
    No. I didn't like flip phones back when Motorola was big and I don't like them now. I never like the flip design by any brand.

James
    fair enough, not for you.
    03-03-12 03:03 PM
    I know three people who would like another flipberry.

The pearl flip was my first bb, and I loved it.

There are alot of people in trades and industry who like a more protected phone. An 8530 or 8330 could be used as an actual brick and outlive a 2 year contract, what happened to those type of phones?
    03-03-12 03:57 PM
    I know three people who would like another flipberry.

The pearl flip was my first bb, and I loved it.

There are alot of people in trades and industry who like a more protected phone. An 8530 or 8330 could be used as an actual brick and outlive a 2 year contract, what happened to those type of phones?
    Yea I have a few other friends who said they would want one too. just have to have a touch screen with it so it attracts all the people who think a phone that isn't touch screen isn't cool.
    03-03-12 04:23 PM
    I personally hated the look of the style. I don't really like flip phones, i love the current Bold, Torch and Curve looks. I like the candy bar BB. This is just my opinion of course.
    03-03-12 04:30 PM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD