I purchased the Freedom 2000 to use with my 8320. I have tried it with BIM Active. When I first used this GPS program it worked great for the first several times, but now after 20 minutes it loses the gps signal. I have tried to run BB maps in the background, but that puck even stops sending a signal to BB maps after 20 minutes. Has anyone else had problems like this with the Freedom? All I have read is positive review about this puck, but I can't get is to work consistently with my phone.
    11-08-08 08:10 PM
    11-08-08 08:28 PM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After you have paired with the Blackberry, and with the Freedom Keychain 2000 turned ON, go to Manage Connections / Bluetooth Options / Keychain GPS 2000 / Menu / Device Properties / Menu / Refresh Service List.

These were the instructions from the above post. I did go to to Manage Connections/Bluetooth Options/Keychain GPS 2000/Full Menu/Device Properties --
    However, after the "Device Properties", I have no "Menu" choice. Where do I find the "Menu" after the "Device Properties" step?
    11-08-08 11:44 PM
    The menu key is the key with dots on it next to the green dial key and to the left of the trackball.
    11-08-08 11:52 PM
    Did all the above and the same thing happens. The gps connects rapidly, I open BB maps and it will run for 20 minutes and then the GPS stops flashing indicating no signal.
    11-09-08 01:24 AM
    Are both the Blue and Orange lights on the GPS flashing? Is the blue light on your BlackBerry flashing? If you have disabled the Bluetooth Activity LED on your BlackBerry, that will cause your BlackBerry to be unable to maintain a connection.
    11-09-08 09:41 PM
    yes, when on turn on the freedom, both the yellow and blue lights flash. When BB maps is open and I ask it to start reading gps, the blue light flashes on my blackberry
    11-10-08 05:22 PM
    That's a tough one. I've only known of one defective Freedom, and it would never connect, not connect and drop after 20 minutes. The Freedom people will give you another one, but let's try to eliminate the BlackBerry first. If you have a Windows XP machine with Hyperterminal and Bluetooth, we can pair your Freedom to your laptop. If the problem persists, then return the Freedom. If it goes away, then the problem is in your BlackBerry.

Look in Programs / Accessories / Communications for Hyperterminal. If you have it, I'll give you the instructions for using it to test the Freedom.
    11-10-08 10:33 PM
    I'm having a similar problem- without the initial connection however. I have searched the forums and checked settings/tried suggestions. The GPS blue & yellow blink for a minute- then just the blue.
    11-12-08 08:23 AM
    yes Jeff. I have that on my laptop. Now what do I do.

Thanks for your help.
    11-13-08 04:39 PM
    yes Jeff. I have that on my laptop. Now what do I do.

Thanks for your help.
    This laptop doesn't have Bluetooth, so I can't do the steps as I type them, but generically, here's what you do:
    1) Pair the Freedom with your laptop.
    2) Run hyperterminal.
    3) Create a connection using Autodetect with 2400, 8, N, 1.
    4) Open the connection and you should see the GPS NMEA sentences scrolling across your screen. If you see strings of letters and numbers, you're reading the GPS and it's working.

Since I can't connect my GPS to this laptop, I can't walk you through the exact steps, so you'll have to play with hyperterminal a little to see if you can read the GPS.

Let me know what you get.
    11-13-08 08:43 PM
    Well, I thought pairing to the computer would be simple, but I am not having success in doing so.
    11-22-08 10:15 AM
    Well, I thought pairing to the computer would be simple, but I am not having success in doing so.
    Our IT security people recently removed Bluetooth from all our laptops, so I don't have it available anymore to test with. I didn't have any problem pairing my Freedom with my laptop before. If you're having problems pairing with your BlackBerry AND your laptop, you may have a defective Freedom. I've only heard of one up to now.
    11-22-08 01:21 PM
    Ok, I think I am getting a handle on this. The yellow gps light has been staying on less and less on BBmaps. I then tried to open BMI (a running/cycling gps tracker). I got the message that there was insufficient memory to open the device. So I dumped some old applications, transfered some pictures that I had on the device memory to the media card, and freed up quite a few bytes of memory. When I went back and started up both BBmaps and BMI, the gps puck contined to stay on for hours. YEA!!

However, I did notice another issue that I don't know how to corrert. When I went to options and status to check the memory again, I saw that the available memory decreases each time I use the one of the gps programs. I presume that eventially the memory will become bogged down again. Is there a way to clear out the memory every so often of this gps data?
    11-23-08 01:42 PM
    When you close the program, it should release its memory. If it doesn't, a reset or a battery pull will recover it. Be sure to close the app, not just exit it.
    11-23-08 01:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD