Is there an app that offers free turn by turn gps. thanks
    07-14-09 07:26 PM
    Amaze GPS
    NAV4all
    07-14-09 07:27 PM
    which one would u prefer
    07-14-09 07:34 PM
    Doesn't BlackBerry Maps have turn by turn directions? I could be mistaken, I dont use it too frequently.
    07-14-09 07:41 PM
    nav4all not sure if it works on tour had it on my storm
    07-14-09 07:43 PM
    I have Amaze GPS working. Download the Bold 9000 version in the Verizon section. Im not sure why its listed as the Bold and not the Tour but its the one you need
    07-14-09 08:22 PM
    LifeInPocket works as well. Just got it working today, so I don't have much use with it, but it gets good reviews.
    07-14-09 08:31 PM
    I haven't had much luck with amaze. The voice always stops working right away. Without that there's not point in using it over BB Maps.
    07-14-09 08:34 PM
    why does the nav4all site say free until 1/1/2010 does that mean at that date we will all have to pay for it?
    07-14-09 08:41 PM
    Sorry, folks, but LifeInPocket offers nowhere near the functionality of a gps as compared to Garmin Mobile or VZNav. I was thoroughly unimpressed with all of the free offerings. But you honestly do get what you pay for (with a few exceptions along the way - imho, this addage does not apply to gps).
    07-14-09 10:30 PM
    Blackberry Map is a nice map with turn by turn driving direction but it cannot talk.

With billions of users Google mobile map has the most accurate data and better look.
    If it cannot talk, then it's not turn by turn directions.
    07-15-09 12:15 AM
    hold the phone! wasn't the tour supposed to come with gps? I guess I don't know what that really means. >>>running off the check the gps feature.

set me straight crackbrotha's and sista's
    07-15-09 12:24 AM
    Your are right, BB MAP gives turn by turn driving direction and it's not real-time.
    watchmans, clarify yourself. What you mean not real-time??? I use BlackBerry maps a lot and it navigates you to your destination using GPS. I find myself going back to BB maps cause i haven't found a reliable GPS program (talking) yet for the pearl.
    07-17-09 06:30 AM
    AmazeGPS is really good.
    07-17-09 02:00 PM
    Both google and bb maps will list the turn-by-turn directions but neither will prompt you to turn with voice or any other sound. In google maps you can click on the next turn and read the directions but it does not speak. If you have a storm or tour on verizon you can have google maps follow you through its stand alone gps chip. All other bb models on vzw will only triangulate your position through cell towers and therefore doesn;t work very well. BB maps can use the gps in all vzw models if you've upgraded to the latest OS version. I never really use bb maps so I'm not that familiar with it.

I tried amaze and nav4all when I first got the phone but deleted them as the interface wasn't good on the touchscreen and the voice prompts never worked.

Garmin mobile was good for the trial period but it did fail me once, needs to have decent signal to download info, and drained my battery really fast.

I stick with a stand alone garmin gps until when I'm going somewhere I am not familiar with and use google maps on my phone for most stuff.
    07-17-09 03:29 PM
    hold the phone! wasn't the tour supposed to come with gps? I guess I don't know what that really means. >>>running off the check the gps feature.

set me straight crackbrotha's and sista's
    The Storm and Tour both have a stand alone gps chip in them that will work with 3rd party apps. That does not mean that the phone comes with a true spoken turn-by-turn gps navigation program, only that it will allow such 3rd party programs to access the location information from that chip without restriction as long as they are programmed correctly (gmm didn't access the gps on the storm properly for a long time and therefore just used triangulation but they got it fixed).
    07-17-09 03:34 PM
    FYI... BB Maps does not offer real time turn by turn directions. When I tried BB Maps it was very hard to follow and when I missed my turn it did not reroute me. Even when your at the place where you need to turn it dosent even say to turn on the screen you just need follow the green line which is very tough while driving etc...
    07-19-09 11:47 PM
    FYI... BB Maps does not offer real time turn by turn directions. When I tried BB Maps it was very hard to follow and when I missed my turn it did not reroute me. Even when your at the place where you need to turn it dosent even say to turn on the screen you just need follow the green line which is very tough while driving etc...
    I guess it how you define "real time" I just figured when you choose Navigate and it show's you where your going it's real time. I have mine on a dash mount show i just glance at it. To me, BM is only one i really trust.
    07-20-09 06:10 AM
    i use mapquest.com get my directions and then write them down on a piece of paper... read through them a few times, and then start driving.... lol....and then when i take the wrong turn im dead hahaha
    07-22-09 01:22 PM
    Just wish Life in Pocket would show a map with the arrows. Or am I not setup right?
    07-22-09 03:03 PM
    When i try to download BBmaps from crackberry it tells me my device isn't supported and when i click the maps icon om my tour it shows nothing?
    07-22-09 03:26 PM
    i use mapquest.com get my directions and then write them down on a piece of paper... read through them a few times, and then start driving.... lol....and then when i take the wrong turn im dead hahaha
    We are still in 20th century?
    As of Jan 1, 2001 we left 20th behind and entered 21st century.
    Still, I know some who would do just what plyallstar does. They're just not deep into gadgetry that much. Hey, whatever gets you where you gotta go!
    07-23-09 08:31 AM
    Personally I like my Sprint Navigation....... well its free for me
    07-23-09 04:00 PM
    tried life in pocket and ddnt really eat up my 8830s memory and its smooth im impressed
    07-24-09 08:24 AM
    if you have sprint, you can use sprint nav. it talks and tells you street names. Free if you have any everything data plan.
    07-25-09 09:52 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD