I'm in my third year of BlackBerry ownership and recently upgraded from a Curve 8330 to a Curve 9330 and love it. The extra features (Wi-Fi, memory, speed) have brought me back to being a full time Crackberry Addict.

I am looking for some suggestions of free or open-source apps that people use to backup, maintain and share their data.

You see - I'm a linux user. Full time, whole-house linux. I have very limited access to windows machines and don't want to have to rely on Windows solutions for my needs.

I've used Barry ( netdirect.ca/software/packages/barry ) to backup my phone in case of disaster and I'm using Google Sync to keep my contacts and calendars together, but in both cases there is something to be desired.

Barry's backups are tarred and gzipped (essentially compressed) versions of what's on my phone. Fine for disaster recovery, but not so good for sharing and requires a USB cable connection to operate.

Google Sync is wonderful except that I have to put every new event or appointment into Google Calendar (or send it to Gcal as an SMS) because While things entered into Google get sent to my phone, nothing that I enter on my phone ever gets sent to Google. (I've read a lot of similar reports - nothing seems to help with any consistency - but I can't complain too much, the service is *free* after all)

My fear, of course, is what should happen if I lose my phone or it becomes inoperable? I'd like to have cloud-backups of my contacts (Gsync), calendar (Gsync again), Memos (?), Tasks (?) and bookmarks (?). True - Barry covers all of these items - but I only backup everything maybe once a week (if I remember)

I'm willing to purchase a solution - it doesn't have to be free - but I would want proof or a good review before plunking down some change.

What do you use to keep your life in sync? Do you just keep everything on your BlackBerry and protect it with your life? Do you back-up periodically? Do you have a cloud-based system? Do you have a cool hack utilizing the core applications found on your phone?

Do you want to share?

Thanks...
    01-24-11 12:53 PM
    I think most people here rely on backups using Desktop Manager, either for the PC or Mac. I rely on that, and Google Sync for my contacts.
    01-24-11 12:57 PM
    I'm in my third year of BlackBerry ownership and recently upgraded from a Curve 8330 to a Curve 9330 and love it. The extra features (Wi-Fi, memory, speed) have brought me back to being a full time Crackberry Addict.

I am looking for some suggestions of free or open-source apps that people use to backup, maintain and share their data.

You see - I'm a linux user. Full time, whole-house linux. I have very limited access to windows machines and don't want to have to rely on Windows solutions for my needs.

I've used Barry ( netdirect.ca/software/packages/barry ) to backup my phone in case of disaster and I'm using Google Sync to keep my contacts and calendars together, but in both cases there is something to be desired.

Barry's backups are tarred and gzipped (essentially compressed) versions of what's on my phone. Fine for disaster recovery, but not so good for sharing and requires a USB cable connection to operate.

Google Sync is wonderful except that I have to put every new event or appointment into Google Calendar (or send it to Gcal as an SMS) because While things entered into Google get sent to my phone, nothing that I enter on my phone ever gets sent to Google. (I've read a lot of similar reports - nothing seems to help with any consistency - but I can't complain too much, the service is *free* after all)

My fear, of course, is what should happen if I lose my phone or it becomes inoperable? I'd like to have cloud-backups of my contacts (Gsync), calendar (Gsync again), Memos (?), Tasks (?) and bookmarks (?). True - Barry covers all of these items - but I only backup everything maybe once a week (if I remember)

I'm willing to purchase a solution - it doesn't have to be free - but I would want proof or a good review before plunking down some change.

What do you use to keep your life in sync? Do you just keep everything on your BlackBerry and protect it with your life? Do you back-up periodically? Do you have a cloud-based system? Do you have a cool hack utilizing the core applications found on your phone?

Do you want to share?

Thanks...
    I'm not sure if these apps run on Linux or not as I've never used Linux, but there are also some various "cloud" applications. Desktop Manager is ideal and will always be the easiest for BB owners, however the is an app called SugarSync, or Drop Box. They come with a lite version where I'm pretty sure they're both 2GB of space. Again, I'm not familiar with Linux, but these are also some other sync/backup/sharing solutions. Ultimately, Desktop Manager is going to be your best bet.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-24-11 01:09 PM
    They do not run on linux.
    There really isn't anything much for linux. If I didn't have windows on my PC too I'd be screwed.
    01-24-11 11:02 PM
    I recommend funambol. syncs everything online!
    01-25-11 01:40 AM
    I am not too sure what I'm talking about here BUT, the programs that you currently have are they capable of automatic back-up and bluetooth connectability. I was thinking of a bluetooth dongle and hopefully the automatic back-up set every day at what ever time. I recently got a BT dongle for my Win7 PC and use it, it's convienient because I easily forget to back-up, I also have Google Sync on my 9700 which syncs my contacts and Cal 2-way. Curious why yours wouldn't. So again not sure how BT would work work with Linux and your Software, just thought I would give you another option to look in to if not already.

01-25-11 11:39 AM
    For syncing documents, dropbox runs on linux. For the rest, if you have BES connecting to an Exchange account, you can connect Thunderbird/Lightning to exchange using davmail. Everything syncs except tasks.

For those without BES/Exchange, use Google Calendar and Google Sync. It worked very well for me before my firm went the Exchange route. You can make Thunderbird/Lightning sync with Gmail/Google calendar pretty easily. For complete backups, use berry.

01-25-11 05:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD