Nav4all works on the 8830 - so give it a try, it might work on your BB. Another is copilot and amazegps (or similar). BBmaps can show a list of directions to a location but does not speak them so intricate directions could be a problem while driving.
    07-11-08 12:29 AM
    Nav4All works on the 8120 (I've got the Freedom keychain GPS device) so I can't see why it wouldn't work on the 8130.

The only thing that doesn't work for me is the voice directions which is annoying to say the least.
    07-11-08 07:23 AM
    As already stated most of the free GSP programs use data but someone earlier (JeffH) said that there are two w/ preloaded maps on your media card that, of course, won't use data. Does anyone know the name those programs and possibly how good they are? I've been trying to find one but couldn't. I would love this for when I'm out and can't access data/wifi, like while camping or simply driving in the boons. Thx!
    07-11-08 01:47 PM
    TrekBuddy is one of the two. Search the GPS & Mapping Forum for it and you'll find the other one as well. Also, Garmin now has a microSD-based map program for a limited number of models, but it doesn't support an external GPS.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-11-08 03:33 PM
    I want to buy the freedom keychain 2000 Which free program that has audible turn by turn directions work best with the Verizon 8330?

Thanks
    Rochelle
    07-11-08 04:37 PM
    As mentioned just before you question - nav4all is a program which provides turn-by-turn. Another is amazegps. I believe co-pilot has a free trial for a number of months.

Another question was asked- I think the other NON-data mapping program is Mobile Gmaps. Both it and Trekbuddy require you to plan in advance to grab and assemble the maps for use in the field.

I do wonder if the Garmin program would work even with the Verizon and a puck but it would be a $99.00 experiment.
    07-11-08 06:22 PM
    ...I do wonder if the Garmin program would work even with the Verizon and a puck but it would be a $99.00 experiment.
    I tried to d/l the trial version and got the message that they did not support Verizon.

07-11-08 06:27 PM
    I ended up going with Nav4all, however, I am having a really hard time searching for addresses or basically plotting a route. It has a lot of options and I never seem to choose the right ones. I am finding it very confusing/annoying.
    07-11-08 08:53 PM
    i downloaded this after i forgot that my 8100 doesn't have gps. ugh
    07-11-08 08:55 PM
    nav4all, that is what i downloaded. it didn't work on my 8100 since i didn't have gps.
    07-11-08 08:57 PM
    nav4all, that is what i downloaded. it didn't work on my 8100 since i didn't have gps.
    Assuming your 8100 has bluetooth, you can easily use a Freedom Keychain 2000 or other external GPS puck with Nav4All. I have the Freedom and it works very well with my Verizon 8830.

07-11-08 09:10 PM
    Thanks JeffH!....i'll be d/l-ing trekbuddy later today.
    07-12-08 11:51 AM
    does anyone have the NAV4ALL .jar/.jad or desktop install?
    07-12-08 04:18 PM
    Get it from their website: Nav4All - Free gps navigation for your mobile phone!
    07-12-08 04:33 PM
    Get it from their website:
    i dont have a bb data plan but i have sprints data plan. i want to download the .jar/.jad files so i can manually install them into my bb curve 8330. does anyone have these files?
    07-12-08 05:59 PM
    I'm sorry to be so dense, and I don't have Sprint, but I don't understand the difference in a Sprint data plan and a bb data plan. You will have to download the maps to use Nav4All. How is that different from downloading the program file?

07-12-08 06:15 PM
    sprint's data plan does not have a mobile web browser (i think or at least i cant find it) so im using opera. i cant set opera as a default browser so whenever i try to download or try to go to a external link it says "your device does not currently have any browser configuration service book entries. please contact your service provider to enable the browser on your device." which i think is the bb data service. if i download the program file i can manually install it into my bb.
    07-12-08 06:22 PM
    Hmm. I've never read of anyone else with Sprint who didn't have the blackberry browser. I thought it came as part of the factory load on all blackberrys. Perhaps you have it hidden? Or if you've upgraded your OS, you may need to log onto Sprint's website and resend your service books. You are correct that you can't set opera mini as the default browser. Most (all?) downloads require the bb browser set to emulate blackberry.

07-12-08 06:27 PM
    How data intensive is Nav4 compared to google maps???
    07-12-08 07:50 PM
    the only reason i really like att navis because it searchs for traffic every few minutes and can reroute accordingly. also can search for things along the route like rest stops and places to eat. so really it plans the entire trip.
    07-13-08 07:38 AM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD