What do you think the chances are that some of the carriers (Bell, Rogers) will offer a free upgrade for current BB users when the new phones come out. I currently have the 9900 and love it but would love to get my hands on the new BB10 qwerty when it comes out. I still have 1.5 yrs left on my contract with Bell.
    08-12-12 06:40 AM
    Probably as much chance as a snowball has surviving in
    Goldwing07 likes this.
    08-12-12 07:00 AM
    Wishful and illogical thinking.....I would like my BMW dealership to upgrade my car every time a new one came out also
    Last edited by spencerdl; 08-12-12 at 07:16 AM.
    08-12-12 07:14 AM
    Slim to beyond none

Sent from the absolute coolest BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    08-12-12 07:27 AM
    What do you think the chances are that some of the carriers (Bell, Rogers) will offer a free upgrade for current BB users when the new phones come out. I currently have the 9900 and love it but would love to get my hands on the new BB10 qwerty when it comes out. I still have 1.5 yrs left on my contract with Bell.
    I don't know, but your subject needed a question mark at the end.
    aha likes this.
    08-12-12 07:49 AM
    The odds are actually pretty good,

Carriers will probably do like they did with the iPhone4 and offer Free upgrades to people who have 1 year left on their contract, renew for 3 years and we'll wave your early upgrade fee,

you'll still pay the 3 year term price, so the upgrade is free, but not the hardware.
    08-12-12 07:52 AM
    I would bet that everyone else in the thread is talking about Free Hardware (not the upgrade price - free hardware)...
    08-12-12 07:56 AM
    I thought the point of joining Crackberry.com was to show our support for RIM and be the back bone that helps them keep pushing forward.......How are they supposed to rise up if the phones are free? I highly doubt any carrier will subsidize BB10 devices as much as they do with the iPhone. DeRusset has provided the most obvious answer which is that if you are eligible for an upgrade the BB10 devices that you desire may be available to you via the upgrade fee and not a full buy out of the device. I believe RIM will do what they did when the OS7 devices launched and let us send in our older devices to get a credit for a new BB10 device. I don't like that I may have to pay $100's for a BB10 device but I am willing to because RIM needs the money to keep pushing forward. Back the beginning of what I was saying though, I do not believe BB10 will be as cheap as everyone is hoping. I'm thinking $249.99 on a 3 year contract. If BB10 is advanced and as powerful as we have been led to believe than why would it come cheap?
    08-12-12 11:44 AM
    As usual, I will try not to be an early adopter.
    jegs2 likes this.
    08-12-12 12:16 PM
    I think RIM is desparate to get people into BB10 so that its base is high enough to warrant the development of apps by third parties.
    It is possible that RIM will try to encourage carriers to offer good deals that will, in effect, equate to killing the last year and a half of the contract on OS 7 and older phones.
    You never know. Depends on how popular the new phones are without any incentive.
    Last edited by timmy t; 08-12-12 at 04:07 PM.
    08-12-12 04:04 PM
    I believe you will see upgrades offered to buyers today of BB7s. That was suggested at the AGM.
    08-13-12 10:04 AM
    The odds are actually pretty good,

Carriers will probably do like they did with the iPhone4 and offer Free upgrades to people who have 1 year left on their contract, renew for 3 years and we'll wave your early upgrade fee,

you'll still pay the 3 year term price, so the upgrade is free, but not the hardware.
    There's your answer!

I would agree that early upgrades would go through (but not free hardware).
    08-13-12 12:43 PM
    Sounds like a good deal to me !
    08-13-12 12:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD