Because their are no risks when this comes to any type of Blackberry patent. They aren't remotely the same.
    There is a risk. For exemple they probably evaluated that it would cost say 500M to settle with BlackBerry plus licensing fees (after spending 10 years in court) whereas they would gains sales in billions plus brand recognition today

Posted via CB10
    09-02-15 08:23 AM
    Completely ridiculous. Force touch doesn't actually compress the screen like the Storm did. They are not remotely related in what they do. The Storm's screen physically moved when you pressed it. Force touch isn't actually moving the screen and only gives the perception of the screen moving through a vibration when pressed harder.

This writer seriously has no clue what he is talking about.

I have an Apple Watch with Force Touch, the screen indeed does not move all ALL, it only vibrates as a notification method PLUS its sensitive to a long press which can often (but not always, depends on the app or function) bring up an addition menu with extra options. I can't believe I'm actually saying this, BUT I agree with donnation here! lol
    09-02-15 08:25 AM
    There is a risk. For exemple they probably evaluated that it would cost say 500M to settle with BlackBerry plus licensing fees (after spending 10 years in court) whereas they would gains sales in billions plus brand recognition today

Posted via CB10
    No, there isn't a risk because Force Touch isn't remotely related to any patent that Blackberry has. The Storm used a physical press of the screen to make it depress. Force touch doesn't work like that. The screen doesn't move at all with it and only gives the illusion that it is depressing because of software. They are two totally different things.
    09-02-15 08:26 AM
    I have an Apple Watch with Force Touch, the screen indeed does not move all ALL, it only vibrates as a notification method PLUS its sensitive to a long press which can often (but not always, depends on the app or function) bring up an addition menu with extra options. I can't believe I'm actually saying this, BUT I agree with donnation here! lol

I feel the love pk.
    john_v likes this.
    09-02-15 08:27 AM
    BlackBerry pioneered this concept years ago when it introduced the BlackBerry Storm in 2008. The Storm was BlackBerry�s (then Research in Motion) first touchscreen device without a physical keyboard, and it featured the company�s �SurePress� technology that provided haptic feedback. The Storm directly competed with other touchscreen devices available on the market at that time, including iPhone, Palm Pre, and the HTC G1, none of which offered tactile feedback.
    I still own a few Storm and Storm 2 devices . . . which I used together with Torch until I switched to Z10 and Q10.

Posted via CB10
    09-02-15 08:35 AM
    All these high tech companies spend hundreds of million of dollars doing patent research and defending their patent rights. The larger companies are harder to win against in court because of the cost of lawyers and time it takes to prepare such a patent case and he who has the most cash and resources wins. And if if you do win the battle, you might loose the war because you have drained your financial resources and lost market share in the process.
    MikeX74 and HollyWOOD1906 like this.
    09-02-15 08:40 AM
    No, there isn't a risk because Force Touch isn't remotely related to any patent that Blackberry has. The Storm used a physical press of the screen to make it depress. Force touch doesn't work like that. The screen doesn't move at all with it and only gives the illusion that it is depressing because of software. They are two totally different things.
    Unless you're a patent lawyer, we're in no position to say if it's similar or not. Like I said, my guess is that Apple evaluated the risk before marketing this.

Also a patent isn't limited to exactly how it works. A patent also protects the general idea behind the concept. And the general idea is pretty similar

Posted via CB10
    wincyUt and HollyWOOD1906 like this.
    09-02-15 08:41 AM
    Unless you're a patent lawyer, we're in no position to say if it's similar or not. Like I said, my guess is that Apple evaluated the risk before marketing this.

Also a patent isn't limited to exactly how it works. A patent also protects the general idea behind the concept. And the general idea is pretty similar

Posted via CB10
    It doesn't take a patent lawyer to know that a physical pressing of the screen to get a click and a screen with no physical pressing are two totally different things.

The Storm and Storm 2 didn't provide haptic feedback. They provided mechanical feedback with a press. There is not anything related to these to types of presses.
    Last edited by donnation; 09-02-15 at 02:39 PM.
    jmr1015 likes this.
    09-02-15 08:47 AM
    Anyone who has ever used a Storm and has read anything at all about Apple's alleged "Force Touch" knows they are nothing alike
    jmr1015 likes this.
    09-02-15 09:45 AM
    What's more, Huawei has beaten Apple to the punch by implementing Force Touch technology in the screen, allowing the phone to know how hard you're pressing on the glass.

The phone is Huawei Mate S.
    09-02-15 11:05 AM
    Except that Apple beat Huawei to the punch by 6 months, because Force Touch has already been implemented in the Apple Watch and the MacBook's trackpad.
    09-02-15 11:24 AM
    L.O.L.

I think Apple will figure out a way to dodge litigation though, they've probably researched it extensively before committing to it.

Posted via CB10
    Lol. Well they had to settle with Cisco over using the name iPhone. Though I am sure they knew of it and went forward figuring they'd work something out.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    wincyUt likes this.
    09-02-15 11:35 AM
    agreed
    09-02-15 12:45 PM
    It will be interesting to see how it all plays out for sure! I still remember my BB Storm days, sorta a love/hate relationship!
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    09-02-15 01:20 PM
    I think an agreement and royalties would be the best way to go, but not sure if they'd get them. I think Apple would keep them in court long enough for BlackBerry to run out of funds, not be able to pay their lawyers, and withdraw.

They laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at them because they're all the same. 
    Pretty much. Apple can afford to fight a war of attrition. BlackBerry can't.
    09-02-15 01:25 PM
    Funny this is only coming up now when people have been discussing it for months. Does anybody think BlackBerry sat around waiting for Apple to put it in a phone to take action? I mean, it's already in MacBooks and in the Apple Watch. I'd like think Zipperstein would have already reviewed whether or not he could win this case by now. Plus, as it notes, Apple was granted their own patent that's pretty much just different enough for them to avoid a lawsuit. Sorry, but Apple is not Typo. BlackBerry would have a tough time winning this one and that's assuming they haven't already looked at it and decided to pass on it. Makes for good fodder when there's pretty much zero other BlackBerry news though lol.
    09-02-15 02:20 PM
    Licensing sounds way better than courts. Apple prefers court because they can sell while they are spending time in court. They actually make more money by staying in courts.
    It doesn't work that way, because if BlackBerry were to successfully sue Apple for infringement they'd have to pay for prior sales as well. Likely with interest, and penalties. If BlackBerry has a legit IP claim here Apple is better off just striking a licensing agreement (which they may have actually done... we don't know for sure).
    09-02-15 03:11 PM
    Letting the money pile up. Then they'll take it away.

I would.

TMO  Z10,STL100-3/10.2.1.2156
    09-02-15 03:11 PM
    I think an agreement and royalties would be the best way to go, but not sure if they'd get them. I think Apple would keep them in court long enough for BlackBerry to run out of funds, not be able to pay their lawyers, and withdraw.

They laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at them because they're all the same. 
    In your dreams.

No way BlackBerry could run out of money to settle a suit. The loser will pay all fees. I'm sure if BlackBerry does have a case Chen will make sure they don't get away.

Letting the money pile up before making that large cash withdrawal.

09-02-15 03:17 PM
    Except that Apple beat Huawei to the punch by 6 months, because Force Touch has already been implemented in the Apple Watch and the MacBook's trackpad.
    My macbook mouse pad feels a bit like the blackberry storm

Posted via CB10
    09-02-15 03:25 PM
    Funny this is only coming up now when people have been discussing it for months. Does anybody think BlackBerry sat around waiting for Apple to put it in a phone to take action? I mean, it's already in MacBooks and in the Apple Watch. I'd like think Zipperstein would have already reviewed whether or not he could win this case by now. Plus, as it notes, Apple was granted their own patent that's pretty much just different enough for them to avoid a lawsuit. Sorry, but Apple isn't no Typo. BlackBerry would have a tough time winning this one and that's assuming they haven't already looked at it and decided to pass on it. Makes for good fodder when there's pretty much zero other BlackBerry news though lol.
    It makes no sense to take action now, if they had a case. They�d have better bargaining position when Apple is in full production.

Also, did you mean the double negative?

Posted via CB10
    09-02-15 03:32 PM
    Also, did you mean the double negative?
    Of all things. Fixed.
    09-02-15 03:39 PM
    LMAO!!!!! typical people defending apple...citing only SOME of what was written and not all. How do you have unbiased opinions using only SOME of the info?

Unless I'm missing something, this blogger didn't say "SurePress" was "force touch." in fact, the blogger states
    "...SurePress technology that provided haptic feedback." I'm no BlackBerry expert, nor do I profess to be, but seemingly pressing the screen on the Storm devices was just that...pressing the screen. In doing so, however, the user was provided haptic feedback...which does not mean you have to "SurePress" a screen on a device that has "ForceTouch" technology in order to get haptic feedback. In other words, the screen does not have to move for you to get the feedback...that was just the case in the Storm. The Storm could be "off" and you could still press the screen and get no feedback, so it doesn't appear that one has anything to do with the other. The blogger goes on to state "BlackBerry appears to have patented the general concept of integrating a �click� mechanism with a touchscreen that provides a tactile feedback similar to what a user would experience using a physical keyboard." Again, another reference that 2 separate things (SurePress and haptic feedback) were brought together to work together.

The blogger goes on to state "We identified at least 40 US patents owned by BlackBerry that are directed towards mobile touchscreens that provide tactile/haptic feedback. These patents relate to screen and sensor manufacturing and components, as well as the use of such feedback for various user operations." Again, that doesn't mean the technology was limited to a phone with "SurePress." The Storm with "SurePress" just happened to be the phone the haptic feedback was introduced on. And for everyone stating Apple's MacBook's and watches have the haptic feedback technology, this blogger stated BlackBerry's patent was for mobile devices, not laptop computers and watches. So apple could indeed be infringing upon BlackBerry's patent. Perhaps they were in no jeopardy of "borrowing" BlackBerry's technology until they introduced it into iPhone (i.e. a mobile device).

I don't uphold ANYONE in their wrong. I love my BlackBerry just like others do and I've had my share of gripes where BlackBerry is concerned, even considering getting the 6S+ when it comes out (NEVER thought I'd say that, even just threw up in my fingers a little), but if Apple has "borrowed" said technology, then they must pay the Piper.
    09-02-15 05:45 PM
    They are two totally different things.
    Glad you said that because you do realize that SurePress and Force touch/haptic feedback are two totally different things as well, right? You can press the screen of the Storm in the 'off' position and get no feedback, yet, the screen still depresses. Force touch did not make SurePress work, however, depressing the screen (SurePress), provided the haptic feedback while the phone was on...
    09-02-15 05:58 PM
    Glad you said that because you do realize that SurePress and Force touch/haptic feedback are two totally different things as well, right? You can press the screen of the Storm in the 'off' position and get no feedback, yet, the screen still depresses. Force touch did not make SurePress work, however, depressing the screen (SurePress), provided the haptic feedback while the phone was on...
    The names may be different but the tech well maybe the same. Only the experts will decide what's what.

They seem to be the same thing. Jmo

09-02-15 06:33 PM
67 123