Thought this was interesting to read.

Here's the full article

http://www.cantechletter.com/2015/09/apples-force-touch-is-already-patented-by-blackberry/

APPLE�S FORCE TOUCH IS ALREADY PATENTED BY BLACKBERRY
    Posted on SEPTEMBER 1, 2015 6:18 PM by ALEX LEE
    With the upcoming release of Apple�s iPhone 6S Plus, there is high speculation that the next generation iPhone may include a �Force Touch� feature, similar to the touchpad on Apple�s Macbook devices. Force Touch would provide iPhone users a haptic feedback, adding another dimension to the user experience.

Of course, the combination of fully-integrated touch screen mobile phones with haptic feedback is not new. BlackBerry pioneered this concept years ago when it introduced the BlackBerry Storm in 2008. The Storm was BlackBerry�s (then Research in Motion) first touchscreen device without a physical keyboard, and it featured the company�s �SurePress� technology that provided haptic feedback. The Storm directly competed with other touchscreen devices available on the market at that time, including iPhone, Palm Pre, and the HTC G1, none of which offered tactile feedback.

Envision IP analyzed BlackBerry�s US patents related to the company�s SurePress technology to determine if Apple may face any freedom-to-operate issues by incorporating haptic feedback into its iPhone device display. We identified at least 40 US patents owned by BlackBerry that are directed towards mobile touchscreens that provide tactile/haptic feedback. These patents relate to screen and sensor manufacturing and components, as well as the use of such feedback for various user operations.

For example, BlackBerry�s US 9,092,057, entitled �Electronic device including touch-sensitive display and actuator for providing tactile feedback� describes a mobile device having multiple disk actuators underneath the touchscreen display that provide feedback to the user.

EnvisionIP_US9092057_Fig_7

BlackBerry appears to have patented the general concept of integrating a �click� mechanism with a touchscreen that provides a tactile feedback similar to what a user would experience using a physical keyboard. Its patents in this area have priority dates going back to 2007.

However, Apple not to be outdone, has obtained its own patents related to this technology. For example, US 8,462,133, entitled �Clickable and tactile buttons for a touch surface� describes an iPhone having multiple �click-like� tactile surfaces on the display, as shown below:

EnvisionIP_US8462133_Fig_1b

We identified 14 US patents owned by Apple that are directed towards force-based feedback specifically for mobile device displays. Ultimately, while BlackBerry was the first to market with a mobile phone touchscreen with haptic feedback features, it will be interesting to see how Apple builds on this concept. With its own patent portfolio, Apple may introduce innovative takes on the use of haptic feedback to improve user experience.

However, Apple may be well advised to carefully review BlackBerry�s patents in the space, in order to mitigate the risk of another round of mobile-patent related lawsuits. BlackBerry is no stranger to enforcing its patents � it recently settled a patent infringement suit against Typo, a company owned by Ryan Seacrest.
    09-01-15 07:11 PM
    Sounds interesting!

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    09-01-15 07:16 PM
    In this situation BlackBerry better be careful. I'm sure Apple will find a reason or two to go to court. Last time I checked my Z30 had rounded corners.

They laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at them because they're all the same. 
    09-01-15 07:38 PM
    In this situation BlackBerry better be careful. I'm sure Apple will find a reason or two to go to court. Last time I checked my Z30 had rounded corners.

They laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at them because they're all the same. 
    L.O.L.

I think Apple will figure out a way to dodge litigation though, they've probably researched it extensively before committing to it.

Posted via CB10
    09-01-15 07:44 PM
    Zipperstein in the ring...! :-)

I'd prefer an agreement and some royalties, though...

�   Andro-Loader (TM) - who is gonna leak ...? Black-Berry! dadadada dee dum dee dum...   �
    Flatman likes this.
    09-01-15 07:56 PM
    well, in this case, the more i6S got sold in the market, the richer BBRY will be, then.. it's a fair go!! yeay!!!
    Flatman likes this.
    09-01-15 08:45 PM

�   Andro-Loader (TM) - who is gonna leak ...? Black-Berry! dadadada dee dum dee dum...   �
    I think an agreement and royalties would be the best way to go, but not sure if they'd get them. I think Apple would keep them in court long enough for BlackBerry to run out of funds, not be able to pay their lawyers, and withdraw.

09-01-15 08:53 PM
    Licensing sounds way better than courts. Apple prefers court because they can sell while they are spending time in court. They actually make more money by staying in courts.
    09-01-15 09:38 PM
    Cool!

Z10
    09-01-15 09:45 PM
    Licensing sounds way better than courts. Apple prefers court because they can sell while they are spending time in court. They actually make more money by staying in courts.
    Nice people,... :-D

09-01-15 10:17 PM
    There's a 99% chance this will never go to court even if Apple did infringe on Blackberry patents. Blackberry would be smart to license for a trade off. Meaning the license of Apple patents rather than royalties. It's the fastest route with very little lawyer involvement.

Posted via CB10
    09-01-15 11:22 PM
    They should do a swap, blackberry let's apple implement force touch, apple let's blackberry gets the app store!

Posted via CB10
    sjmartin007 likes this.
    09-01-15 11:31 PM

Lol.

Not Fours Years But A Lifetime
    09-02-15 12:06 AM
    remember, David and Goliath? go for it BB$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$
    09-02-15 12:56 AM
    They should do a swap, blackberry let's apple implement force touch, apple let's blackberry gets the app store!

Posted via CB10
    Probably better than any Google chenanigans... :-)

MrDoreth likes this.
    09-02-15 02:53 AM
    First all, Apple has a dedicated team that does nothing but research patents to make sure they follow the rules when developing new technologies.
    GLTruesdale likes this.
    09-02-15 04:53 AM

Oh the irony of it ...
    Cash flow from the competition.

My Canada My BlackBerry My Z30
    09-02-15 05:16 AM
    First all, Apple has a dedicated team that does nothing but research patents to make sure they follow the rules when developing new technologies.
    Still, they've been sued before for patent infringement

Posted via CB10
    wincyUt and app_Developer like this.
    09-02-15 06:10 AM
    Can anyone confirm that it's exactly the same tech. I heard the overall effect is the same but the implementation is slightly different which could nullify any case.

Also, what I think is interesting is the 'secret' party in the licensing deal Chen unveiled at the last earnings report... Could be Apple. I would definitely assume they don't want to have the media print a bunch of stories about how Apple is using blackberry patents considering the conventional wisdom of today is that blackberry is 'archaic'
    HollyWOOD1906 likes this.
    09-02-15 06:52 AM
    Can anyone confirm that it's exactly the same tech. I heard the overall effect is the same but the implementation is slightly different which could nullify any case.

Also, what I think is interesting is the 'secret' party in the licensing deal Chen unveiled at the last earnings report... Could be Apple. I would definitely assume they don't want to have the media print a bunch of stories about how Apple is using blackberry patents considering the conventional wisdom of today is that blackberry is 'archaic'
    No they can't.... This is a blogger just pointing out similarities in the two technologies... without knowing the "technical" legalities.

When BlackBerry files a case... then you can get excited.

But there is a HUGE difference in taking on TYPO and taking on Apple.... plus I'm not sure BlackBerry "invented" haptic technology.
    1raygin likes this.
    09-02-15 07:54 AM
    The summary of the cited Blackberry patent:
    An electronic device includes a housing, a touch-sensitive display exposed by a front of the housing, an actuator disposed between a back and the front of the housing and configured to move the touch-sensitive display and the front of the housing relative to the back when actuated, and functional components comprising memory and a processor coupled to the memory and the touch-sensitive display.
    Force Touch doesn't move the touch-sensitive surface at all. It uses sensors embedded within the device to detect how much force was used to press on it, and registers a click. Then a motor vibrates in a such a way that it simulates the feel of a mechanical button being pressed.

Force Touch doesn't infringe on the cited patent at all.
    09-02-15 08:09 AM
    If that is the case,the research team was very inept ,they just lost a patent case in Germany.
    09-02-15 08:10 AM
    Completely ridiculous. Force touch doesn't actually compress the screen like the Storm did. They are not remotely related in what they do. The Storm's screen physically moved when you pressed it. Force touch isn't actually moving the screen and only gives the perception of the screen moving through a vibration when pressed harder.

This writer seriously has no clue what he is talking about.
    pat-wallace and TGR1 like this.
    09-02-15 08:11 AM
    They most probably do research for patent infringements but they probably evaluate the risk benefits of each infringement. For instance... the benefits are huge here for Apple and they probably evaluated that the risk are minimal.

Posted via CB10
    pat-wallace likes this.
    09-02-15 08:13 AM
    They most probably do research for patent infringements but they probably evaluate the risk benefits of each infringement. For instance... the benefits are huge here for Apple and they probably evaluated that the risk are minimal.

Posted via CB10
    Because their are no risks when this comes to any type of Blackberry patent. They aren't remotely the same.
    pat-wallace likes this.
    09-02-15 08:15 AM
67 123