01-28-13 06:36 PM
    Eh.. Some are positive, some not-so-positive. In the end its still just 1 journalist/analyst writing each article, and as such, is subject to opinion and speculation
    01-28-13 06:53 PM
    They've been declared dead since 2008 by the experts.

Here we are in 2013 and now the article says they'll be dead in a few years. Lolol
    01-28-13 06:59 PM
    Article is rubbish... the comments, however, are quite good as they put the "journalist" in her place with facts and are actually quite respectful to her while doing so. I can only hope she reads them and keeps an open mind the next time she covers RIM.
    01-28-13 07:02 PM
    Please post it here I refuse to click on that
    01-28-13 07:03 PM
    Analysts are paid to express opinions. This particular analyst seems especially dismissive, but it's hard to see the basis for it. The biggest criticism here seems to be that RIM hasn't pursued the consumer market in its lead-up promotion for BB10, but it's hard to see what they might have done to win that market without a product.
    shaleem and johnny_larue like this.
    01-28-13 07:09 PM
    How the eff are these writers getting hired? They spew out a load of BS without doing any research, they should be embarrassed. I guess that's the problem with the Internet, anybody can claim to be a journalist.

I can understand if someone isn't a fan of a particular device, that's fine, but don't write garbage and expect anyone to take you seriously.
    01-28-13 07:11 PM
    Analysts are paid to express opinions. This particular analyst seems especially dismissive, but it's hard to see the basis for it. The biggest criticism here seems to be that RIM hasn't pursued the consumer market in its lead-up promotion for BB10, but it's hard to see what they might have done to win that market without a product.
    Wrong. Analysts are paid to get hits now days. Fact is, she probably doesn't even believe what she's writing. A few days ago one of their writers proclaimed that Microsoft would fold by the end of the year. lol.
    lorax1284 likes this.
    01-28-13 07:12 PM
    Look at this:

"To appeal to a broader range of consumers, RIM perhaps should have distanced itself from the category of “company phone,” yet it shows no signs of doing that with BlackBerry 10, Ovum contends. RIM has touted multitasking, productivity, email contact*and calendar applications in its latest teasers for the device, the “best BlackBerry for BlackBerry users,” rather than better gaming, content consumption or social networking experience to appeal to a wider audience, says Ovum’s lead telecom analyst Jan Dawson."

There is so much wrong with that paragraph.
    Thunderbuck and lorax1284 like this.
    01-28-13 07:13 PM
    To avoid giving this rubbish hits:

Analyst: Why BlackBerry 10 Won't Save RIM

Research in Motion will make a giant leap towards relevance on Wednesday when it unveils a new BlackBerry 10 smartphone and operating system. RIM showed Forbes a demo of the new-look interface earlier this month, and the software looked sleek, efficient and perfect for professionals. But can its much-hyped launch reverse a long-term decline that has beset Research in Motion in the last two years: a share price down by 73%, along with slimming market share and profits?

There are an estimated 80 million BlackBerry users out there, and a good chunk will almost certainly upgrade to the new device over the next two quarters to give RIM a financial boost after months of holding out for BB10. But that may be as good as it gets according to analysts at Ovum, who contend that RIM will continue to suffer from two big problems:

1) The “BYOD” phenomenon, in which companies have given up buying smartphones (read: BlackBerrys) for their own staff, leaving employees to choose their own devices.

2) A struggle to appeal to mainstream consumers.

As IT departments have let employees buy their own smartphones, more of them are choosing iPhones and Android devices over BlackBerrys. BlackBerry phones currently has just 1.1% of the U.S. smartphone market, according to the latest statistics from Kantar Worldpanel, while the iPhone has grown to 51% and Android, 44%.

To appeal to a broader range of consumers, RIM perhaps should have distanced itself from the category of “company phone,” yet it shows no signs of doing that with BlackBerry 10, Ovum contends. RIM has touted multitasking, productivity, email contact and calendar applications in its latest teasers for the device, the “best BlackBerry for BlackBerry users,” rather than better gaming, content consumption or social networking experience to appeal to a wider audience, says Ovum’s lead telecom analyst Jan Dawson.

“We can’t fault RIM for wanting to hold onto its 80 million existing subscribers,” he says, estimating the Waterloo, Ontario-based company has always sold about half of its devices to new customers, and half to existing BlackBerry user who are upgrading to a newer model. Yet for the last two years, the portion of upgrading BlackBerry users has significantly outweighed the converts — meaning RIM essentially has little choice but to focus on maintaining its existing user base.

To its credit, that user base is strong. The trade-in experts at NextWorth recently pulled together data that showed re-sell values for BlackBerry handsets were not far behind HTC and neck-and-neck with Samsung models, indicating the “dedicated nature of BlackBerrry enthusiasts.” (See chart.)
    BlackBerry 10 will give RIM a healthy financial boost in the short term, says Dawson, and the company will plod along for a few years yet with its loyal subscriber base, zero debt and some profits.

“But its glory days are past,” he adds “and it is only a matter of time before it reaches a natural end.”
    01-28-13 07:17 PM
    "There are an estimated 80*million BlackBerry users"
    ----No actually the estimate is 79 million

"The �BYOD� phenomenon, in which companies*have given up buying smartphones (read: BlackBerrys) for their own staff, leaving employees to choose their own devices."
    ---BlackBerry balance makes bb10 the most appealing BYOD device ever made. Employees will choose this

"To appeal to a broader range of consumers, RIM perhaps should have distanced itself from the category of �company phone,� yet it shows no signs of doing that with BlackBerry 10"
    ----time shift camera, highly integrated social apps, it's full touch screen, more media and consumer content then ever to be available, etc

"Yet for the last two years, the portion of upgrading BlackBerry users has significantly outweighed the converts � meaning RIM essentially has little choice but to focus on maintaining its existing user base."
    ----what does this have to do with bb10? Because people didn't convert to OS7 they won't convert to bb10?

What a ******* JOKE
    kbz1960, TomJasper and jesse_h like this.
    01-28-13 07:24 PM
    "
    "The “BYOD” phenomenon, in which companies*have given up buying smartphones (read: BlackBerrys) for their own staff, leaving employees to choose their own devices."
    ---BlackBerry balance makes bb10 the most appealing BYOD device ever made. Employees will choose this
    Not to mention the potential of BES10 becoming the corporate standard Mobile Device Management
    01-28-13 07:28 PM
    The dumber they are, the more money I make. That is the way I am looking at it.
    01-28-13 07:30 PM
    They "moderate" comments, we shall see if mine got through,lol.
    01-28-13 07:32 PM
    They "moderate" comments, we shall see if mine got through,lol.
    I feel like leaving a message too.

Over 150 people have tweeted this article to the world already. Whether if its just one analyst's opinion or not most people who read this won't grasp that, and haven't seen what we have of bb10, and they will truly believe this. Such a shame.
    TomJasper and m0de25 like this.
    01-28-13 07:39 PM
    I feel like leaving a message too.

Over 150 people have tweeted this article to the world already. Whether if its just one analyst's opinion or not most people who read this won't grasp that, and haven't seen what we have of bb10, and they will truly believe this. Such a shame.
    I posted the launch news release in whole for my comment,lol.

BlackBerry 10 Launch Event Available Via Webcast on January 30th, 2013
    jesse_h likes this.
    01-28-13 07:45 PM
    The author left a comment on her own post:

"I hear you on reaching for #3,*but even that is a huge uphill battle for RIM, considering their market share in the U.S. (1.1%) or the EU (4%) or China (0%). It does look like they’ll launch with the support of around 150 carriers, which is great ammo against the carrier relationships Windows Phone 8 has as a rival ecosystem for the No. 3 spot. But what about battery life and price point? These matter to mainstream smartphone buyers just as much, if not more than software features like screen resolution and browsers (to Kurt’s point), and we have yet to hear the details on that from RIM. Again, Ovum suggests RIM will sell a bunch of BlackBerry 10 phones in the first couple of quarters, but they see a tapering of demand for BlackBerry devices over time because the company appeals to its old user base more strongly than new converts.:"

---so we don't know enough about battery life or price point to use it positively as ammo for the #3 spot. Yet she seems to know everything else is negative and uses it as ammo against rim holding #3 long term. We either use all the leaks or we don't speculate on just some sweetheart. Can't pick certain things to hold against RIM that are potentially good like battery life, yet say it's purely a business experience?? How do you know the experience and that it's not for consumers? We haven't heard details on much atall from RIM yet you seem to know everything negative?
    jesse_h and TomJasper like this.
    01-28-13 07:49 PM
    One of the comments at the article,too funny.

" Kevin Casciano 5 minutes ago
    DAMN!!!! Parmy, you are talking a factual �beating� from the BB10 crowd��let me know if you need any help getting the license plate of that truckload of BB knowledge that is running all over you in a bad, bad way��..ouch"
    m0de25, jesse_h, jvictor77 and 3 others like this.
    01-28-13 08:03 PM
    One of the comments at the article,too funny.

" Kevin Casciano 5 minutes ago
    DAMN!!!! Parmy, you are talking a factual �beating� from the BB10 crowd��let me know if you need any help getting the license plate of that truckload of BB knowledge that is running all over you in a bad, bad way��..ouch"
    Too funny, was in the middle of posting the exact same comment! Luckily I "F5-ed" the page to see that you beat me to it Great comment
    01-28-13 08:07 PM
    Alright I have tracked down the analyst from Ovum that came to all of the conclusions that the blogger lady posted. Here he is:

Jan Dawson �Ovum

Jan Dawson
    Forbes Article - Not So Positive-jan-dawson-112x135.jpg

The guy has a BA in politics and Psychology.

His email address is:
    [email protected]

This is from another one of his articles:
    "it will be harder and harder for RIM to maintain the appeal of the older platform in these markets, especially since it is unlikely to release new hardware running BB7. BB10, meanwhile, requires high-end specs that will be impossible to deliver at such price points in the near future. Therefore, the current popularity of BlackBerry in emerging markets is likely to be short-lived."

----Amazing how he seemed to know the price point (in mid december) as being high. By his logic every single newer device and generation of device will be more and more expensive then the last even with inflation factored in, just because the specs are higher. As we all know that is not the case, as more and more mass production of the newest devices and chipsets occur the prices go down. Same will go for the bb10 devices in emerging markets. Price is now speculated to be about the same as a 9900 for the z10, and lower cost models are coming THIS YEAR. He makes it sound like there is one bb10 device and its just way out of reach.

"The points of differentiation RIM has focused on in teasers for the new platform confirm this – better multitasking, productivity, email, contacts and calendar applications and so on, rather than a better gaming, content consumption or social networking experience."

-----LOL-----

Dont click the link. Just added it so no one could say I didn't source my info.

RIM will get a boost but not salvation from BB10 �Ovum
    jesse_h likes this.
    01-28-13 08:36 PM
    cant fault her for jumping on the bandwagon....best way to get hits for a blog or whatever this is, is to write negative things about an increasingly popular product, team, person etc.....because people will run to their defense. Smart woman
    01-28-13 08:42 PM
    This guy is talking out of his ***. By all accounts, BB10 is known to run superbly on less than cutting edge (ie quad+ core) hardware because of QNX efficiency... and they are set to release 6 models total this year, at least 1 of these will be lower priced/entry level.
    01-28-13 08:47 PM
    Wrong. Analysts are paid to get hits now days. Fact is, she probably doesn't even believe what she's writing. A few days ago one of their writers proclaimed that Microsoft would fold by the end of the year. lol.
    i call this paris hilton journalism.. you can sound as dumb as you want.. but as long as people keep on talking about it.. they'll be laughing all the way to the bank
    01-28-13 09:43 PM
    My comments in BOLD.

"There are an estimated 80*million BlackBerry users"
    ----No actually the estimate is 79 million

The key word chosen by the article's author is 'estimated' which is the same word you chose in your ill thought-out rebuttal.

"The “BYOD” phenomenon, in which companies*have given up buying smartphones (read: BlackBerrys) for their own staff, leaving employees to choose their own devices."

You expressed an opinion about BlackBerry 10 being chosen by employees in a bring your own device (BYOD) environment. BlackBerry Balance has nothing to do with the smartphones end-users will choose in such an environment. However, BlackBerry Enterprise Server 10 will enable employees to use their own BlackBerry 10 smartphones if desired. BlackBerry Balance has been around since BlackBerry Enterprise Server 5 SP2 if I recall but obviously is incompatible with BlackBerry 10 smartphones. Besides the author's statement was about employers not providing BlackBerry smartphones or any smartphone in a BYOD environment.

"To appeal to a broader range of consumers, RIM perhaps should have distanced itself from the category of “company phone,” yet it shows no signs of doing that with BlackBerry 10"
    ----time shift camera, highly integrated social apps, it's full touch screen, more media and consumer content then ever to be available, etc

Both the article's author and the forum member are arguing the same point just using a different angle of attack. The fact remains that in the minds of many people the BlackBerry smartphone is synonymous with "company-issued mobile phone".

"Yet for the last two years, the portion of upgrading BlackBerry users has significantly outweighed the converts — meaning RIM essentially has little choice but to focus on maintaining its existing user base."
    ----what does this have to do with bb10? Because people didn't convert to OS7 they won't convert to bb10?

People in the emerging markets are buying BlackBerry 7 smartphones which is the only market showing any growth for the BlackBerry brand. In the developed markets the overall market share has been in decline and most of the people upgrading from earlier BlackBerry smartphones have been existing subscribers. I have not bought a BlackBerry 7 smartphone but plan to buy the BlackBerry Z10; therefore the forum member's rebuttal is provably false. There is pent-up demand for BlackBerry 10 smartphones whereas most people saw BlackBerry 7 smartphones as a stop-gap until BlackBerry 10 arrived; the delays bringing BlackBerry 10 to market stretched beyond the originally announced six months to almost two years. The article's author unlike the rebutting forum member makes a valid assertion as illustrated by a simple set theory diagram; nowhere does the article's author claim that absolutely no non-current BlackBerry smartphone users (Apple iOS and Google Android) will adopt the latest BlackBerry 10 smartphones.

What a ******* JOKE
    Yes, Bold_until_Hybrid_Comes, your analysis is quite a laughter-producing read.
    01-28-13 10:06 PM
    My comments in BOLD.

Yes, Bold_until_Hybrid_Comes, your analysis is quite a laughter-producing read.

I can see why every one loves you so much on here.

79 million is the number, not an estimate. Shouldn't have included the word estimate. Going to dispute that too?

Not going through the rest of your ramblings, I am cutting foam in a pelican case for my new telephoto lens. Later.
    jesse_h likes this.
    01-28-13 10:28 PM
34 12