How Every App Developer Helps Defend Android And iOS Against A Smartphone Revolution - Forbes

Here's an interesting Forbes article on the app developer's influence on the success of an operating system.

BB10 is described as an alternative OS in the article, which is of course true, and in my opinion they bring up the problems that BlackBerry is currently facing quite well.
    It's difficult to win the market, even with a perfect phone, without developer support.
    08-27-14 02:28 AM
    I good read with some very strong points and it shows out how IOS and Android have embedded themselves into the mainstream culture by building large ecosystems and are not going away any time soon.

Blackberry has a long hard road ahead and I am hoping they can still remain a niche brand. I am looking forward to getting the new passport and can't wait to show it off to my IOS and Android clients and friends.

Now it's just a matter of when the thing is going to launch and hopefully the folks in Waterloo will surprise us and beat Apple and Samsung to the punch with an early launch date???
    SunshineStateFlyer likes this.
    08-27-14 03:16 AM
    I think one of the advantages BlackBerry has over some other alternative platforms is their big brand name which is still known very well, especially in the corporate world, even though not very positively perceived. And we will see to what extent the Amazon partnership might help to deal with missing native developers.
    08-27-14 04:09 AM
    I think one of the advantages BlackBerry has over some other alternative platforms is their big brand name which is still known very well, especially in the corporate world, even though not very positively perceived. And we will see to what extent the Amazon partnership might help to deal with missing native developers.
    Unfortunately the corporate world is also ditching Blackberry in favor of other platforms. I just talked to an IT guy from Ford Motor who ditched Blackberry in favor of iPhones using Enterprise and Good technology and he says they are very happy with the decision.
    08-27-14 04:28 AM
    Unfortunately the corporate world is also ditching Blackberry in favor of other platforms. I just talked to an IT guy from Ford Motor who ditched Blackberry in favor of iPhones using Enterprise and Good technology and he says they are very happy with the decision.
    This seems to be the only thing from preventing blackberry re-adoption...
    I mean without a doubt we can all agree the OS is far above everything in the market. However; developers aren't going to come onboard if there is no demand it is that simple.
    How can Blackberry tackle the app impediment?
    An incentive from manufacturer perhaps? Maybe the emerging market strategy will bring enough demand to attract developers...
    Bottom line is BlackBerry won't succeed if developers refuse to jump abroad. Specially after considering what happened with the highly popular Snap2chat by Nemroy studios. So yeah the app situation is by no means overhyped.
    Maybe even other platforms are locking app developers to their environment already... haven't researched enough on that though.
    The iOs and Android adoption by enterprise is mainly driven by their "do it all capabilities" and the large profit incentive both for the enterprise, social and entertainment developers.

Posted via my STA100-5 z30
    08-27-14 08:00 AM
    I good read with some very strong points and it shows out how IOS and Android have embedded themselves into the mainstream culture by building large ecosystems and are not going away any time soon.

Blackberry has a long hard road ahead and I am hoping they can still remain a niche brand. I am looking forward to getting the new passport and can't wait to show it off to my IOS and Android clients and friends.

Now it's just a matter of when the thing is going to launch and hopefully the folks in Waterloo will surprise us and beat Apple and Samsung to the punch with an early launch date???
    I honestly think it is not too late if there is a marketing push along with the release of the Passport. The problem is there has been very little marketing. And if public awareness exists there might be some demand and carriers can start offering them.

Typed with my Q10, or Z10, or Q10, or...
    08-27-14 08:09 AM
    You realize Chen and BB know this right? Thats why they aren't pumping for consumer adoption?

It amazes me on how many still have a laser focus on BB handsets and the consumer.

Clearly, Chen is past the "consumer platform race" and his plan involves areas where they can compete, adapt and innovate..........enterprise software, MDM, security, and if they get it right, I of T.
    fmb8 and KarlosSpicyWienr like this.
    08-27-14 08:11 AM
    Sad enough, yes I see that every day in different corporate areas. Even the big four consulting companies are ditching BlackBerry, or at least offer alternatives to their employees.
    I'm not sure if this won't backfire in the future as it will become too difficult to control. BlackBerry has a very nice device management system and it's pretty secure.
    08-27-14 09:36 AM
    You realize Chen and BB know this right? Thats why they aren't pumping for consumer adoption?

It amazes me on how many still have a laser focus on BB handsets and the consumer.

Clearly, Chen is past the "consumer platform race" and his plan involves areas where they can compete, adapt and innovate..........enterprise software, MDM, security, and if they get it right, I of T.
    +1! Chen is smart in his method to getting BlackBerry profitable. He's working their strengths and building a sound foundation and many corporations are getting on board. He has also stated that WHEN they are ready they will make a strong push for consumer market share, not before!! I admire his conviction and leadership and especially how, in their weakened state he basically told T-Mobile to go f*#k themselves! LOVE IT! So, until then we, in the know, can continue to enjoy the best OS available today!

Posted via CB10
    08-27-14 01:25 PM
    As if they would say that they aren't and admit that they just wasted a ton of money. When BES12 is released, there will probably be some IT decision makers looking for work.

Posted from my Z30 using CB10
    08-27-14 07:27 PM